Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training Class Finally Started

Longblades
April 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
After a couple of delays we finally had our first training class. Boy, things are a bit different than with first puppy 15 years ago. We used clickers right away (never with first puppy, they weren't popular then) and we don't give commands. It's very weird for me but seems to work. For instance we worked on "watch me, sit and come" but never said any of those words. It was all done by luring with a treat, clicking when desired behaviour performed, giving treat immediately and repeating. We are not to say the words till we are confident pooch has the idea of what the end result action is. Puppy-boy knows the words and the luring come confused him because it is very similar to actions on my part I am using to teach him "stay" but he caught on. So well, in fact, that as we were to click and treat every time pooch "watch me'd" my clicker was going all the hour. Thank heavens at the last minute before leaving the house I did put that extra bag of treats in, leftover ham from Easter. I think he got at least a cup and a half of tiny little ham bits.

Lukka'sma
April 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I loved how easy clicker training was with Lukka. She seemed to excel at it, all puppies in her class were able to sit and come in the first lesson too. Marvelous things those clickers.
So glad your puppy is doing well with this method of training too. Continued good luck

allymack
April 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
ahh clicker training, i agree i think its such a great method of training, its positive and you can reward literally the instant of the action. What training school are you going to...if you not aloud to post that can you pm me with the name. it sounds like your puppy is going to be quite smart when hes done obdience.