Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it normal..

Kristin7
April 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
for shelters to charge different sums of money for adoption of different breeds of dogs? I know many charge more for puppies vs adults, or even older puppies. But I was just looking at some dogs online at a local shelter, and they are asking $300 for only two of the dogs, one of which is described as a poodle mix and the other a shih tzu mix. This is 2x as much as any of the others in the shelter! One is a young puppy but the other is almost a year old, and all others this same age are only $105. :shrug:

aslan
April 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
That seems really odd, i've never heard of that unless they are going together. hmmmm call them and question it, then come back and tell me. teehee.

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Pounds usually charge whatever they feel like. They will ask more for a young dog or an unspayed or uneutered dog , feeling these dogs are worth more because they can still breed :mad: :wall:

Kristin7
April 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
No, they're not going together, and they are $300 each. I tried finding an explanation online but all their website said was that prices can vary depending on age, size and breed of dog. Apparently they charge up to $450 for a dog, depending on whatever, wow, I had no idea! I have seen rescues charge that much but I can understand that better, because they do a lot for the dogs. At least, at this particular shelter, the animals are spayed or neutered before you can take them home. :thumbs up

Love4himies
April 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hmmm that is very strange. Maybe they use price as some sort of screening tool? The more you want a dog perhaps the more you will pay?? :shrug: only guessing.

jealma
April 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I would think that because some dogs are more in demand that the shelter can charge more for them. I can't say I blame them. Most shelters use the money they receive from dogs and cats to the benifit of the shelter. It may sound unfair, but smaller breeds in shelters seem harder to come by and I can see where you would have to pay more since there is a higher demand for them . I have a small dog but there is some great larger breeds that are wonderful pets too. If you don't want to pay that much try getting a larger or older dog, they can be a marvoulous compainion too

Kristin7
April 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I was curious if it was just this shelter or if this practice is common at others, because this particular shelter has a history with money that is not good. Though most shelters probably do use the money to benefit the animals, with this particular shelter, I have heard and read so many things that make me suspicious of that, meaning I am not sure the money is really going to help the animals in this case. But sure, I don't blame other shelters... I have adopted 3 animals from this particular shelter, mostly because of proximity to my workplace, however, I am not sure I will get my next pet there for many reasons. Sounds like the charging more for certain dogs is fairly common though. But is up to $450 common? That seems like a lot to me.

clm
April 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Since a lot of shelters are in different cities, or municipalities, it would make sense that the fees would be different with each one. If it's city run, you should be able to get a breakdown from the city as to how they come to that fee.
I don't know how it works with rescue groups. I would think they all have their own ways of deciding what adoption fees should be.
We paid $175.00 each to adopt Mookie and Squeak. This rescue group dealt mainly with adult cats. Adoption fees for their adults were less than half of that.

Cindy