Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Let's Talk Kitty Litter!?

zztopp
April 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
We live on a small farm (9 acres) and do our best to be environmentally friendly, which also helps with our land management.

We use a straw-based bedding for the horses that breaks down fully in two weeks. Meaning, after 2 weeks we can spread it on our fields, which helps with space constraints, etc.

The barn cats and the house cats each have kitty litter boxes .. and we use a clay based litter. Bad me, bad me ... I know!!

We can't dispose of the kitty litter on the horsey manure pile, since they don't break down at the same rate. And I DON'T want to be spreading kitty litter on the fields that the horses eat from ... ick. Plus, our garbage bag limit is two bags a week ... and all that kitty litter takes up alot of space!!

So, what are my choices for both economical and environmental kitty litters?

Thanks everyone!

-- zztopp

SARAH
April 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Before the store I got it from closed (without warning!) I would get wood-chip/sawdust litter. It clumped and was flushable. Frankly, I wish I could find it again, because the clay, although scoopable is easier to clean than the non scoopable, does smell more and takes space in the garbage can (don't use a full bag/week though, and no limit here, so that's not the issue).

See if you can find the wood stuff, it's worth it.

phoozles
April 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks to growler I was recently introduced to Feline Fresh - it's a pine litter that comes in either pellet or scoopable form - it's a lot like sawdust, it clumps and is flushable..

It's also the same price as the clay stuff, which works well in my books! :thumbs up

Here's their website: http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/feline.htm - they even have a rebate for a free first bag!

Thanks again growler for the tip! :)

Kristin7
April 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have used a pine litter before, called Feline Pine. It was pretty good, flushable and I think clumpable too, though this was several years back. Now I use a wheat based litter called Sweat Scoop, which is clumping and flushable too. The cats like it and so do I :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
April 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
There's pine litter, which you can get in both pellet form (but not every cat likes it, although mine does) and in clumping format. Brands would be Feline Pine, Feline Fresh, Exquisicat, etc. There's also recycled newspaper pellets, like Yesterday's News (which also comes in a softer texture pellet that some cats might take to easier than the harder pine pellets).

Then there's clumping wheat litter like Swheat Scoop, and clumping corn litter like World's Best Cat litter. I've also heard of corn cob litter (by One Earth). Here's an article on cat litter with links to many of the brands I mentioned: http://www.greenlivingonline.com/HomeGarden/bad-kitty-litter-bad/

What I do is mix half pine pellets with half Yesterday's News. My cat loves this combo so much that he'll even come in from outside (where he has access to a gynormous dirt vegetable garden), to use the litter box. But then he's kinda weird.

Chris21711
April 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
We can put cat litter in our Green Bin along with the dog poop.

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I use Swheat Scoop which is wheat based, as you may have guessed.

It's clumping and flushable.

Swheat Scoop (http://www.swheatscoop.com/)

sugarcatmom
April 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Depending on where you live, it may not be a good idea to flush cat litter:

Although most of these green litters are septic- and sewer-safe, itís best not to flush them into our waterways. Cat feces contains the Toxoplasmosis gondii (TG) parasite, dangerous to pregnant women and marine life, particularly sea otters. Unfortunately TG is not filtered out in most water treatment plants, so donít flush your used litter.

Kristin7
April 4th, 2008, 12:38 PM
No sea otters around here! Regardless, I don't flush the litter but instead throw it in the garbage. The flushability is a good indicator that the litter biodegrades. Not sure, but I think cat litter waste can be composted, depending on type of litter? At least, only the urine part, probably not good to put the poop of a meat eater in the compost bin....

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Sugarcatmom, thanks for posting that. I'd read that a long time ago.

We don't have any sea otters here, but I also throw mine in it's own little bin. I put it in a zip lock bag then place it in a small garbage pail next to the regular garbage.

sugarcatmom
April 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
We don't have any sea otters here,

Ha ha, ya I didn't think you did, but just in case anyone else reading thought flushing was a good idea.......

Apparently this is a real problem on the California coast. Lots of sea otters dying from TG.

SARAH
April 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM
We can put cat litter in our Green Bin along with the dog poop.

I only wish we did have a green bin. Only paper/plastic/glass/metal recyclable bin (huuuge) and a regular grabage bin for everything else, which is silly really, because a lot of it is bio degradable, except the styrofoam ...

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Ha ha, ya I didn't think you did, but just in case anyone else reading thought flushing was a good idea.......

Apparently this is a real problem on the California coast. Lots of sea otters dying from TG.

I did some snooping around and yeah, those poor little guys. Not to mention, a lot of people are still using that nasty clay stuff. I used to use clay until I started to do a little reading and because as a kitty Vlad had taken to laying in the litter.:frustrated: That was one of the main reasons I wanted to get him something natural enough so that if he ate it, it wouldn't make him sick.

Jim Hall
April 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
uhh whats wrong with clay litter?

sugarcatmom
April 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
uhh whats wrong with clay litter?

From my link above:

Clumping is bad for the health...
The main culprit is sodium bentonite, a natural clay ingredient that expands into a hard mass when it comes into contact with moisture. While this is convenient for cleaning, itís not great for kitty. Cats inhale fine sodium bentonite particles when they dig in the litter. Once inhaled, the clay expands when it hits their lungs, causing asthma and other lung problems. Cats can also ingest the clay while cleaning their paws and some even develop sores on their pads from it.

Silica-based litters are not much better. This porous granular form of sodium silicate absorbs odours and moisture but is also easily inhaled by humans and felines. Itís been linked to lung cancer, bronchitis and tuberculosis. Some cats can end up with a fatal form of pulmonary tuberculosis called silico-tuberculosis.

...and bad for the planet
Both these conventional litters have an adverse effect on the environment. Produced by the destructive method of strip-mining, clay and silica litter canít decompose any further because they are already in their natural state. When you consider that we send about two million tons of cat litter every year to the landfill that adds up to a lot of fecal feline matter hanging around.

zztopp
April 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!

And espcially to sugarcatmom for that link ... pretty scary how bad -- and common! -- clay cat litter is!! :eek:

I can't find a website for Simply Pine -- ??!! I've found Feline Pine but still want to do some comparing ;)

We are leaning towards the pine based litters, for various reasons including human allergies.

Thanks!!

chico2
April 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I change my clumping clay-litter every 2 weeks,I would love to change it to something that's environmentally better and safer for the boys(kitties).
Also every 2 weeks I have superheavy garbage-bags..
Swheat Scoop,Yesterdays News which I tried was a no go,but maybe I'll try the clumping Pine,first I have to find a place who sells it:cat:
There was also another that was recommended to me,it was called something like"Best ever something...":confused:but at $39 bag,was out of the question:yell:

sugarcatmom
April 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
There was also another that was recommended to me,it was called something like"Best ever something...":confused:but at $39 bag,was out of the question:yell:

Probably World's Best Cat Litter, the corn-based one. It is expensive, but you typically use less of it because it clumps super well. I used to really like it, but when my cat started peeing massive amounts from diabetes, it wouldn't soak up his urine fast enough so it would pool around his feet. He hated that and started using the living room floor instead. I switched to the pellets, and he went back to using the box. Even though his urine amounts are normal now, he still prefers the pellets.

duttypaws
April 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Before the store I got it from closed (without warning!) I would get wood-chip/sawdust litter. It clumped and was flushable. Frankly, I wish I could find it again, because the clay, although scoopable is easier to clean than the non scoopable, does smell more and takes space in the garbage can (don't use a full bag/week though, and no limit here, so that's not the issue).

See if you can find the wood stuff, it's worth it.

you can buy Felinefresh in Canadian Tire its clumpable and flushable :)

clm
April 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I use the Max cat multi cat litter. Non clumping. The boxes get totally changed out every week.
We have a 2 bag limit here as well. We have to pay $1.00 apiece for tags for any additional bags. Now I'm forever cleaning out something in this house, and normally I'm over the 2 bag limit anyway. :shrug:

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
April 5th, 2008, 01:46 AM
No sea otters around here! Regardless, I don't flush the litter but instead throw it in the garbage. The flushability is a good indicator that the litter biodegrades. Not sure, but I think cat litter waste can be composted, depending on type of litter? At least, only the urine part, probably not good to put the poop of a meat eater in the compost bin....

Toxoplasmosis is dangerous to all marine life so please don't flush it no matter where you live, whether you have sea otters or not, it will affect other species too. (not directed specifically @ you Kristin7)

With the Pine litters of which I use Feline Fresh (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/index.htm) (your welcome Phoozles :D) it is competely compostable only you would use it for flower beds etc not for veggie gardens, hay fields etc where someone would be eating from that land.

Kristin7
April 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately I did used to flush it when I lived in San Diego, though never would have if I had known back then. Poor otters (and other species) :sad: I don't live near the ocean anymore and the waters in my state are very polluted, as in, it is recommended to not eat fish out of any of the waters. Still, I don't flush it, mostly because I am afraid it would clog my toilet. What is a green bin? is that a compost bin? Someday I'd like to start composting, no idea why I don't now. Do animals get in the bins??

krdahmer
April 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I use the swwheat scoop as well. Love the new multi-cat formula... clumps harder and faster. And I have never had a problem with stink. I do not flush it here, simply for the sheer amount I would be flushing... pee and poo times 6 really adds up! (Guess that's a good thing after all!:eek: Poor otters!:sad:) I dispose of it in the doggy poop bags every night when I scoop and then into the regular garbage. I only do a big clean out every two months and all that gets put in seperate bags and tagged.

Ya Chico, at first the cost really put me off, but even though I spend $100 on litter, that's only once every two months (8-10 wks), and for 6 cats that's not bad. This litter clumps better so scooping is easier and cleaner and it also controls the smell a lot better than any clay I ever used. With my asthma I really had to look for a litter with no harmful dusts. I did also use the World's Best corn stuff, but didn't like the smell of it with the pee. The corn had a very sty type scent when used, and the swwheat is more of a bakery smell. :shrug: Not a bakery I'd ever eat at mind you...:rolleyes::laughing:

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I wasn't able to find any Swheat Scoop at the market last week, which usually sells it for less than the pet store. Since I was on a very tight budget I went with the only other natural litter they had. Some corn based litter I'd never heard of. OMG, I can't wait to get paid again, because this stuff is terrible.

I will never buy another corn litter again. What I saved by not going to the pet store and getting the SS isn't worth the smell. It's not pungent, but when I walk into my apartment I can smell there are cats living here, whereas with the SS there is no odor. I'd love to try the Feline Fresh, but I can't find it anywhere here and I've looked online on Petco and Petsmart and they don't sell it either. I'm going to try ordering it from the actual site to give it a try.

In my opinion though, of all the litters I've used so far, Swheat Scoop is the best for me.

katie&thecrew
April 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I used to swear by Swheat Scoop, but then I found that it wasn't clumping as well and there was a distinct smell that turned my stomach...I now use Nature's Miracle litter and whooooa boy!!! LOVE IT!! Better clumping, distinct pine smell (which I personally love)...I have turned on some old co workers at the humane society to it as well!! I think it's the best out there, and I find it has even less dust than swheat scoop (I am a sensitive soul :D)

krdahmer
April 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I would have given the pine a shot too.... but alas I am really really allergic to pine! :rolleyes:

zztopp
April 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Just to update ... we went and bought some EnviroLitter, which is a pelleted pine-based litter.

It's awesome!! Our cats eyeballs almost popped out when he caught a whiff of it ... he promptly left. Later that day I checked the box and there was, uh, evidence of him being in there! Have seen both cats happily coming and going, so I think they are happy.

The farm house now has a lovely pine scent to it ... Also noticed that the kitties now have fresh, pine smelling toes ;) LOL

onster
April 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
ok im sold, gonna try some pine stuff next time i go to buy litter.

swheatscoop just isnt cutting it anymore. Doesnt clump well enough and i have the moral dilemna of my cats pooping in wheat when theres wheat shortages elsewhere in the world. I know its supposed to be non human grade, but still....

14+kitties
April 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ok so...... silly question. :o I know this pine based litter says it will last forever and it's great for the environment. Great btw!! I have done some "googleing" (so not a word!) on it and they all say they are 100% recycled pine. Great again!!!
My question is........... If this pine stuff is made with 100% pine than why pay the money for a small bag ($7.99 up) when you can go and buy 100% pine based softwood bedding (shavings) in a huge bag at hardware stores (78litres I think which expands 3 times the size) for $5.25? Is it the pellet shape?
I am using the shavings out in the catuary. The kitties have an area they use and I just cover it with the shavings and clean as necessary. Then I can use the shavings as compost or mulch. I also have it in one litter box until they are used to it and then it will be in all of them.

onster
April 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
thats a very good question 14+!

How are u finding that bedding pine? Im assuming it doesnt clump? (if the other stuff is 100% pine, how does it clump? unless pine is naturally starchy and thus clumps :shrug: i have no idea)

14+kitties
April 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Onster - I have actually only started using it this week so haven't had a lot of experience with it yet. The kitties are using it. The first day they thought it was a new bed for them and spent most of the day playing in it or lying in it. :crazy: I added some of their ummmm....... waste to it to give them the idea that is what it was for and now they are using it. It clumps with the urine because wet wood shavings (pellets I am assuming are the same) stick together.
I used to use shavings in the bottom of my bird cage and remember when Clyde would give himself a bath. The shavings would all stick together in that area. When I heard about clay litter being bad and read about all of the other kinds and checked prices I wasn't impressed. With all my cats other litters were just too cost prohibitive. I saw the pine stuff in one pet store and figured the shavings were the same except for the shape. :shrug:

onster
April 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
:lightbulb: i think ure on to something ;)

I look forward to hearing how it continues to work for u. See if i would get the pine i would get the fine sawdust kind, not the pellets anyway :)

14+kitties
April 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
You can get a smaller bag at Walmart if you want to try it out. It's the stuff they use for gerbils and hamsters, etc.... Try starting with maybe half shavings, half litter in one box to see what Onnie and Bunduk think. If they like it increase the shavings, decrease the litter. If they don't like it use it in your flowerbeds as mulch. ;)
:offtopic: but how is Bunduk doing? Back to his normal mischievious self? :rolleyes:

onster
April 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
yup, my mom was making indian food today and he 'drank' alot of the ghee/oil mixture she had on the table b4 she noticed. :eek: * oh please poops have mercy* :offtopic:

Onnie and Bunduk will go in anything really. Right now I have 2 huge swheat scoop bins and one clumping litter bin ( i still have a box of that litter left)....they use the clumping most *shakes fists*. Its not good for me because of my asthma either (all the dust). I dont think ill need to do the 1/2 1/2 thing as Ive changed their litters so many times its crazy, i never mix it in " here this is ure new litter, now poop I say!"....they have just written me off as the new litter obsessed mom:rolleyes::crazy:

Thanks for the tip about the smalle bags at wallmart, ill definately try it out!

14+kitties
April 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM
yup, my mom was making indian food today and he 'drank' alot of the ghee/oil mixture she had on the table b4 she noticed. :eek: * oh please poops have mercy* :offtopic:
:laughing: He'ssssss Baaaaaccccccckkkkkkk!!

Onnie and Bunduk will go in anything really. Right now I have 2 huge swheat scoop bins and one clumping litter bin ( i still have a box of that litter left)....they use the clumping most *shakes fists*. Its not good for me because of my asthma either (all the dust).
You are right. Not good for asthma. I am going to talk to my daughter about that. They use clumping litter and her asthma can be out of control sometimes. Maybe I can twist her arm. :rolleyes: I have to try it for the ones in the house too or when they go back out they won't know what's going on.

Thanks for the tip about the smalle bags at wallmart, ill definately try it out!
No problem mf. :)

onster
April 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
oh yes definately talk to her about that!! Even with just one bin of the clay litter its helped my ashtma :thumbs up Even if she doesnt scoop the cats track it everywhere.

Sorry to the OP we so hijacked this 35461

baberuth1ca
April 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM
you can buy Felinefresh in Canadian Tire its clumpable and flushable :)

Finally...now I know what to spend my canadian tire money on, I'm anxious to give it a try ....thanks:lightbulb:

CyberKitten
April 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I loathe clumping litter tho I know it is what my cats like that is important. I have been using Yesterday's News and they like that - no complaints or evidence thereof so I'll keep on using it. It is disposable, like paper. My bunny's droppings used to be great fr the garden- cannot say that for the cat's "stuff" tho, lol Yesterday's news itself is made mostly from old telephone directories.

I think the clumping thing for me - other than the fact kittens can eat it and its expansion can kill them (potentially if not not caught soon enuf, cats have such delicate digestive systems, and kittens more so) is that the sodium bentonite, ie the clumping agent can poison a cat through chronic ingestion through their fastidious need to groom. Because sodium bentonite acts like expanding cementóitís also used as a grouting, sealing, and plugging materialóit can swell up to 15 to18 times their dry size and clog up your catís insides. It's just not good stuff. It's the biochemist in me I guess. I hate stuff that works as grout but we give to our cats, sigh!

Sometimes, I wish I still had my bunny "stuff" (He used Yesterday's News too for litter) to use as mulch, lol

growler~GateKeeper
April 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM
It clumps with the urine because wet wood shavings (pellets I am assuming are the same) stick together.

Geri - the Felish Fresh pellets dissolve into pine sawdust, they don't clump. Feline Fresh also has a clumping formula which (clumps :D) is more like sawdust chunks.

:shrug: no idea about the wood shavings - let us know how that goes long term ;)

14+kitties
April 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks Growler :D That answers that query. My dear ol' mom would say I have too much of the Scot left in me. :rolleyes: Gotta get everything on the cheap. :D
Will let you know how it works. I am sure it is better than the alternative which was digging in the dirt in the section they use for a toilet. :shrug:

Chris21711
April 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I had no idea the clay litter could irritate asthma. Kale developed asthma last year, it seems to come and go, I asked Ethel if she thought it was the dust, she said she didn't think so since that is what we have been using since we have had him (5 yrs). Another thing I find scary is the agent they use to make it clump. Question: What do they use in Feline Fresh to make it clump?

I use pine shavings for Daisy's (bunnie) litter box and find it soaks up the urine fine but stays wet underfoot, it doesn't clump and might be a bit messy tracked around the house. I'm definately going to switch after reading this thread. Thanks for the information guys, it is really helpful.

Kristin 7 - The green bin is part of our recycling program we have here, you
put all kinds of different things in it that will compost. Even baby
diapers :confused:

krdahmer
April 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I know eventually we are going to be able to put cat litter (the wheat, pine,newspaper or corn only) in the green bins here, I believe you already can in toronto... But baby diapers? I was under the impression they were plastic and not green binnable? Or is that another type of diaper?

14+kitties
April 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Another thing I find scary is the agent they use to make it clump. Question: What do they use in Feline Fresh to make it clump?

I use pine shavings for Daisy's (bunnie) litter box and find it soaks up the urine fine but stays wet underfoot, it doesn't clump and might be a bit messy tracked around the house. I'm definately going to switch after reading this thread. Thanks for the information guys, it is really helpful.

See Chris, this is what I find confusing. Feline Pine says it's 100% pure pine. It is just compressed into pellets and then when it gets wet it breaks down to sawdust. Would that not be messy too? I know the shavings may stay a little wet but really, what's the difference besides the shavings are bigger and cheaper? The main reason I wanted to try pine is because the catuary is very close to the greenhouses where I will have customers soon. I wanted to cut down on the "odour" associated with kitties. :o

Here is a site for Feline Pine. There seems to be mixed reviews about it.

http://www.petco.com/product/4364/Feline-Pine-Cat-Litter.aspx

onster
April 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
chris once u develop asthma things that never triggered it before may trigger it, especially if it is untreated and scar tissue develops so ure airways become worse for wear. It could be a new agent in your home (cleaner, carpet or something) but for me I just suddenly developed asthma after years of just allergies. I have a multitude of triggers...for Kale the kitty litter may not be a factor but for someone who has 'delicate' airways i wouldnt think its good too breathe the dust in anyway.

Im also curious about the agent that makes the clumping one clump....how come they dont say what it is? 100% pine and .....?

I could never switch to non-clumping, the swheat scoop ticks me off cuz it doesnt clump fast enough!!

ancientgirl
April 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I tried Feline Pine before I tried Swheat Scoop. The Fantastic 4 didn't like it and were very wary of it. So much so, they'd use the litter then run out and not take the time to bury their stuff. It also made the apartment smell like (this is a friends description) a pine forest that had been peed on.

I've found that with the SS I have no issues with them using it, and with anybody coming to my place and smelling anything odd. As a matter of fact, my sister in law stopped in for the first time since I'd moved and she said if she hadn't seen my cats, she'd never know I had cats. LOL, although, I think their play area (which I've dubbed "wicked kittyland") might have clued her in too.

onster
April 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
LOL @ wicked kitty land. My kitties only have kitty corner :sad: I reaaaaly wish we had a target in canada, when i visited michigan i bought my cats cute little things from there but didnt think of getting them bigger things :cry:

did u try the clumping pine? or wait...is there a difference between feline pine and feline fresh?

See I have no sense of smell anyway, but my mom has a heightened sense of smell and she gets annoyed quicker with swheat scoop. At first she thinks its glorious and then " did u clean the litter!??!" umm ..yes.

And its wheat..i mean..its food..i dunno...

ud think some genius person would come up with the perfect litter already?!?! *sigh*

sugarcatmom
April 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Question: What do they use in Feline Fresh to make it clump?

Found this info: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7124710.html

A clumping animal litter comprises an organic material, a surfactant, and a clumping agent. The clumping agent may be a combination of carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) and guar gum. The material may comprise 1Ė2% CMC, 3Ė6% guar gum, 1Ė5% surfactant, and the remainder wood fiber. The material is formed into pellets with a uniform distribution of the various ingredients. The pellets are then crumbled to improve absorption characteristics. The mixture results in a fully-biodegradable, organic-based litter product with improved clumping abilities, natural odor control, and ease of litter pan maintenance.

phoozles
April 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
did u try the clumping pine? or wait...is there a difference between feline pine and feline fresh?

There is a difference - they are two different products. I use the Feline Fresh clumping, and it works great - clumps RIGHT AWAY, and it's so light!

There are the odd little bits that I've found from a clump breaking up, but that's rare - and now that I've gotten my sense of smell back (probably from quitting smoking :shrug:) I've noticed that you can't smell their 'business' at all - the room I have the boxes in kind of smells like sawdust, but it's pleasant..

Chris21711
April 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
14+kitties - The sawdust would be terrible, it would tread all over the place. Maybe the Feline Pine breaks down differently :confused: I'm sure that someone will help us with that.

onster - We tried thinking of a change that might have triggered Kale's asthma, I told Ethel that it was Iggy, that he was allergic to him :laughing:

krdahmer - On the list they sent out with the Green Bin, they didn't specify any particular type of diapers, it just says baby diapers, I didn't understand it either unless some kind of bio-degradable plastic is used in them. We can put a whole slew of different things in them. Now we only have one bag of garbage every two weeks and most of that is plastic :wall:

:sorry::offtopic:

growler~GateKeeper
April 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM
See Chris, this is what I find confusing. Feline Pine says it's 100% pure pine. It is just compressed into pellets and then when it gets wet it breaks down to sawdust. Would that not be messy too? I know the shavings may stay a little wet but really, what's the difference besides the shavings are bigger and cheaper?

14+kitties - The sawdust would be terrible, it would tread all over the place. Maybe the Feline Pine breaks down differently :confused: I'm sure that someone will help us with that.

Feline Fresh pine pellets break down to sawdust, the sawdust dries very fast & stays in the box, even when Duffy covers it she doesn't spread sawdust at all. Duffy's been using it since Aug 2007 & I have never had the sawdust track anywhere out of the box. Occasionally a pellet here & there that had been stuck between her toes but that's it. When she was using clay litter it was all over the wall-wall carpeting in the apt I could see it everywhere. Was esctatic when I switched to pine & no tracking :thumbs up

14+kitties
April 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
K growler, you have convinced me!! :D
I remember last year before we built the catuary when the kitties were using my mulch pile :rolleyes: I never ever smelled anything I didn't want to. Had an occasional surprise when I went to spread mulch but that's another story. :yuck: That's one of the reasons I figured for my intent and purpose the pine shavings would work great. And I must say, I have seen lots of usage of it and can't smell a thing. :highfive: The litter box I have in their shed with the shavings has been used too and I can't smell a thing. So it's all good. Most definetely a step above the clay litter.

Chris21711
April 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Got me convinced too Growler. The litter box is upstairs but I find it scattered all over the room and maybe it does contribute to Kale's asthma :confused:

Thanks everyone for the feedback :thumbs up

ancientgirl
April 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Growler, how much do you put in the box? I usually put 3 inches or more of the Swheat Scoop in their boxs which lasts about 2 weeks for them. Do you find you need less? How often do you change up the litter?

sugarcatmom
April 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Growler, how much do you put in the box? I usually put 3 inches or more of the Swheat Scoop in their boxs which lasts about 2 weeks for them. Do you find you need less? How often do you change up the litter?

Not Growler, but since I also use pine pellets (mixed with paper pellets), I thought I'd describe my scenario: I put probably no more than 2 inches of litter in the box (too much makes it awkward for walking on - at least for my guy) and thoroughly scoop every time I see stuff in there (2 boxes are on my main level next to my bathroom, so it's pretty obvious). I know lots of people only scoop the poop and just stir the urine-soaked sawdust back into the mix, but I prefer to remove all traces. I then top it up with a few scoops of fresh litter. I seriously don't dump out the whole lot more than once a month, but you'd never know it. My boxes are immaculate, if I do say so myself :D. I've mentioned before how Aztec will come in from outside just to use his litter box, then go back out (he has supervised outdoor time in my yard with an enormous vegetable garden - lots of fresh dirt to poop in if he wanted). To me, that says it all.

ancientgirl
April 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks, that helps. So my understanding is when they pee it turns to a sawdust consistency and you just take that out right? I tried Feline Pine once and my guys didn't like it, and the smell of pine was way over powering. They don't sell Feline Fresh anywhere around here so I'd have to order it online. I'd like to give this a try. The good thing is it seems fairly inexpensive and you get a good bit for your money.

duttypaws
April 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Finally...now I know what to spend my canadian tire money on, I'm anxious to give it a try ....thanks:lightbulb:

its great depending where in Montreal you are... as for the tracking around her tray... i bought a little mat that catches it all... ok lola thinks its a play mat but i only get the odd bit of sawdust around the house which has got stuck to her long hair .... its much neater!

Jazoo petstore also sells it (right next to pre-fontaine metro).. i bought lola another type of clumping/flushable litter which is like grain/dust... and man its DUSTY!! the felinefresh (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/felineSc.htm) is like sawdust and i think lola and I both prefer it.... she will have to wait till the poop (no pun intended) litter is finished!

I bought the little bag to try is as I know cats can be fussy... and it lasted 2 weeks..... that was keeping it at 2-3 inches in the tray....and there is no smell at all....except for a little sawdusty smell.. which is better than cat poop!

sugarcatmom
April 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks, that helps. So my understanding is when they pee it turns to a sawdust consistency and you just take that out right?

Yup, that's what I do. Can't use one of those slotted scoops for this, has to be like a shovel (I use a plastic dry food scooper thingy - a garden trowel would also work).

I tried Feline Pine once and my guys didn't like it, and the smell of pine was way over powering. They don't sell Feline Fresh anywhere around here so I'd have to order it online. I'd like to give this a try. The good thing is it seems fairly inexpensive and you get a good bit for your money.

I haven't tried either of those, so can't comment on the smell. I use PetSmart's ExquisiCat (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750943) brand, and it doesn't seem so strong to me. But then I also mix it half and half with Yesterday's News (http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/). I know some cats don't like the pine litter because of the texture more than anything, but mixing it with the softer texture of Yesterday's News might help with that.

growler~GateKeeper
April 13th, 2008, 12:19 AM

I usually put btwn 2-3 inches, top it up when needed. I only have 1 cat & 1 medium size box and a 20lbs bag lasts around 5.5-6 weeks. I usually do a full change everytime I finish a bag.

thoroughly scoop every time I see stuff in there. I know lots of people only scoop the poop and just stir the urine-soaked sawdust back into the mix, but I prefer to remove all traces. I then top it up with a few scoops of fresh litter. I seriously don't dump out the whole lot more than once a month, but you'd never know it. My boxes are immaculate, if I do say so myself :D.

Same here everytime Duffy goes I scoop, sometimes she even tells me she has just gone :rolleyes: like I can't hear her in the box :crazy: :laughing:

Thanks, that helps. So my understanding is when they pee it turns to a sawdust consistency and you just take that out right? I tried Feline Pine once and my guys didn't like it, and the smell of pine was way over powering. They don't sell Feline Fresh anywhere around here so I'd have to order it online. I'd like to give this a try. The good thing is it seems fairly inexpensive and you get a good bit for your money.

Yup, I use a wide slot scoop since Duffy doesn't always cover her pee I can usually get it all in one scoop & just shake it in the garbage then dump any remaining fresh pellets back in the box. The colour of the pellets straight out the bag are a little darker in colour & slightly smaller than the ones that have been in the box & have surrounded the ones peed on, these are slightly lighter & expand just slightly. I also have a dollar store kitchen collander that has thin slots that I bought to only use for litter to get the remaining bits along the bottom of the pan that my wide slot scoop doesn't get.

... as for the tracking around her tray... i bought a little mat that catches it all..

I bought one when I still had the clay litter the thing never caught any of it as she walked over it :rolleyes: I still have it beside the box cuz sometime she tries to bury the whole box & so she's scratching the mat not my floor :D

I don't find the Feline Fresh pine scent to be strong @ all, but then I love the smell of pine & grew up w/2 huge pine trees in my backyard :D When I was using clay there were times when I literally had to put the bathroom exhaust fan on when filling the box the smell seemed to linger as long as the dust did in the air. No such issues with Feline Fresh.

If you click on this link to Feline Fresh (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/breeder_coupon_2008.pdf) it is a pdf mail-in form for the 1st 7lbs bag free of either the pellets or the scoopable - & the offer is also valid in Canada - I asked them. :thumbs up

zztopp
April 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I haven't been on this BB for awhile, but it's great to see everyone's experiences and opinions again :)

Our Enviro-Litter is still going strong ... the only problem is when Putty (our male cat) goes into ground hog mode and tries to dig a hole through the bottom of the litter box :eek: Then copious amounts of litter go flying all over the floor -- LOL. Aside from that, I haven't found any on the floor!! Before our wood floor had little clay-kitty prints all over it -- YUUCK!

Good luck!

growler~GateKeeper
April 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM
zztopp Glad the pine based litter is working well for you :highfive:

14+kitties
May 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Just thought I'd let anyone interested know...the pine shavings are working wonderfully for my kitties. I still have the clay litter in 2 litterboxes in the catuary and the shavings outside and in one litterbox. They haven't used the clay litter in weeks!
I tried the WM brand of pine pellets..Precious Kitty or something like that. I like it but there is sawdust all over the floors in the kitchen. The little ones are tracking it all over. Will have to try either the more expensive stuff or try the shavings in here too.

onster
May 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
thanks for the update 14+kitties :thumbs up

I actually wanted to update too :D

Right now im doing a mix of pine fresh and swheat scoop and if pine fresh on its own (when i finish what ihave of swheat scoop) is not satisfactory to me I will definately stick with the mixture!

Why?

A) Pine fresh is waaaay cheaper than swheat scoop - comparable to clumping clay litter

B) U know how with swheat scoop the clumps are kinda gummy/not so solid/stick to the bottom/sides of the box like cement? Well with the mix of pine fresh in there this problem is no more!! Nothing sticks! All of the waste is solid fast. Even if you scoop swheat scoop regularly so that nothing becomes cement-like, if they are massive diggers and pee near the bottom it gets kinda gummy when ure scooping it out fresh...again no more.

C) It doesnt smell too piney at all, especially if mixed in w swheat scoop.

If anything at all I reccomend swheat scoop users to try mixing in even 25% pine fresh with swheat scoop to cut down on costs and improve litter quality :2cents: It's a win-win really. My cats are none the wiser.

duttypaws
May 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
im actually using the Presidents Choice flushable Bio cat litter stuff... as I ran out of pine fresh and that was the closest i could buy... they like it.. it clumps..and not too much of it sticks to lolas long fur!.

now to figure out who's peeing on the litter tray mat thing.... :frustrated:

HenrysMom
May 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
My cat loves the World's Best Cat Litter and other corn based litters. I tried the Swheat Scoop with her a while back and I ended up cleaning up cat pee and poop from everywhere BUT the litterbox. We also tried the pine litters and she would kick all of it out of her box before she'd go inside and do her business, leaving me to sweep up pine stuff from all over the carpet. So I guess you could say she gave all the other stuff a big thumbs down. She also has OCD and doesn't handle change well, so once we found the corn litters and she accepted them, I started buying them in bulk. :D

Chris21711
May 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
14+k - Are you just using regular pine shavings, nothing done to them like what is used for rabbits/gerbils etc? I'm reading all through the thread again and I thought you switched to Feline Fresh :confused:

14+kitties
May 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Yep Chris. Just regular pine shavings. I wanted something that I could use outside to make it smell a little nicer around the catuary seeing as it's pretty close to where my customers are going to be very soon. They love it! And it is soooo cheap. Big bag 5.25 at TSC. I used a big of the WM stuff in the house here but it is being tracked all over. Still better than clay though.

Chris21711
May 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
14+k - are the shavings from WM smaller in size than the one from TSC?

14+kitties
May 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I used the WM brand of pine pellets. I think it's called Special Kitty. I wasn't impressed with it just because it gets tracked all over. The shavings at WM for small animals is the same as I use. Sorry for the confusion. I was in a hurry when I typed that. I should know better.
I am going to try the other pellets in here to see if they get tracked. Growler says they don't so I will try them. I don't know how the kitties will react to the shavings in the house. Also, seeing as I am adopting the babies to my kids I don't want to get too far away from the actual litter shape. I don't want them refusing to use the litter at my kids. I would never hear the end of it. :rolleyes: I can't convince them to change to pine yet. But I am working on it!
I think any kind of pine or shavings anything is a better option than clay litter if it is better for the environment.

Chris21711
May 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks 14+K - of course you could always go to your kids places and clean up any litter that is tracked :laughing:

Does that mean a new Kitty is coming up to Newmarket? (don't know why I said up, Acton is more or less straight, no?)

growler~GateKeeper
May 14th, 2008, 12:53 AM
My mum is using the Feline Fresh Scoopable for her dainty little girl kitty - no tracking :thumbs up

14+kitties
May 14th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks 14+K - of course you could always go to your kids places and clean up any litter that is tracked :laughing:

Does that mean a new Kitty is coming up to Newmarket? (don't know why I said up, Acton is more or less straight, no?)

lol Chris! No!! I raised my kids to be self sufficient in every way! They can clean up after their kitties.
As for kitty coming to Newmarket - unfortunately no. That son is in the midst of having to find a new place to live. He also insists that his kitty is too old and set in his ways to accept another kitty. I'm working on it.
So far I have 4, possibly 5 kittens out of the 7 I have adopted. I think there is another litter here yet we haven't found. :fingerscr
Grimsby is down from Newmarket btw. I get confused with directions so I just say I am going.

Chris21711
May 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
For some reason I thought you was in Acton, I think Grimsby is SW. Still no luck finding the other litter? Hopefully she will start bringing them around with her once they are eating solids.

:offtopic:Is your Son looking to stay in the area. If he is renting then the local paper generally has quite a few listings.

14+kitties
May 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Yep, he has been working at a shop in that area for quite some time now. Problem with a lot of those places is his budget. He is lousy with money; can't save a penny. His landlady is being good at the moment and not rushing him into another place. She just says as soon as possible. She wants to move her dad into the apartment my son is in.
And I think he uses clay litter. :) (Gotta keep this somewhat on topic :D )