Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice for pilling a cat

MOOSEDRY
April 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
hi all.

wanting to offer some advice, please. my cat has gone from a pancreatic problem to a cold, to asthma, to sensitive stomach. to put it simply, she has had to receive many pills over the last four weeks, some a few times a day. thus, her patience for the pilling process ran out last nite (BIG TIME).

so, i decided to pill her using the pocket treats tonite (for those of you who don't know, it is a soft treat you can buy that has a hole in the middle for you to insert a pill). however, the only other time i tried it, that's what i did - i inserted a full pill. after doing that once, the cat wouldn't touch it, as she became wise to the crunchy middle (cats aren't stupid!).

i decided that instead, this time i would crush the pill into a powder, insert it into two treats, then give her four (start with an empty treat - YUM!, then give one with the powder. then another empty - YUM!, then another one containing powder.) at the same time, i was giving my other two cats empty treats, so it was ridiculously easy!! NO STRESS, NO MESS, NO FIGHT!!!

just wanted to give my two cents worth -i'll be buying more of those pill pockets, they are great - all three of my cats loooove them!! it's nice to know how to pill my cats without feeling like i'm the big bad guy :shrug:

tracy :party:

Jim Hall
April 3rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
great tip thanks tracy hopefully she doesnt catch on :thumbs up

Dr Lee
April 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Great advice.

I would not spread this information though, the makers of Band-Aid will be very disappointed. :crazy: Just kidding.

meg4050
April 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Peaches won't eat treats :wall::wall::wall: I get scratched every morning and night :D

MOOSEDRY
April 4th, 2008, 06:14 AM
ha ha!

thanks dr. lee. i'll keep that in mind - LOL!.

i'm just thankful i found something that works before ever having to give a pill to my cat punkin. just like peaches, she'd probably claw me to death - she's very hard to handle (and trimming her nails is out of the question - LOL!).

tracy :laughing:

Jim Hall
April 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
band aids huh not likely for the cats ive had more like t 2x2 guaze plenty of hydrogen peroxide ans make sure all 10 fingers are still more or less attached

I had to give one kitty some paryicullary nisty tasting dtuff onlt way i could get it down him was not feeding him for 12 hrs and then mixing it w some fancy feast he was so hungry by then he would have eaten a rock .

MOOSEDRY
April 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM
thanks for the laugh, jim. yes, some cats are pretty bad when it comes to pilling them. geez, punkin likes to bite and scratch me when she's in a good mood... i can't imagine what she'll be like if i ever have to try to give her a pill - LOL!

tracy :)

bendyfoot
April 4th, 2008, 12:43 PM
My cats are all different...one (who is actually the crazy viscious one) I can pill really easily with no problems. The others are nasty clawers and it really takes two people, one to hold the pointy bits out of the way and one to get the pill in there.

Hazmat
April 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM
It has always been sort of amazing to me on how Vets handle cats. The good Vets that I have known seem to handle cats with ease. Although they do seem to sort of blunt: grab cat by scruff of neck, stick pill way down their mouth. I have not had a cat that needed a lot of pills daily. But I do notice that they take pills if I stagger their * cough* intallation, better if I too grab them by the scruff of the neck and just shove it down.

I guess my comment is that Vets which I respect, do not take no for an answer. the cat needs the pills or pills, they get it! Same holds true for trimming nails and putting in ear drops, frontline feas stuff, or anything else!

Recently , and to my amazemen, I pilled, trimmed nailes, put in ear drops, on all 3 of my cats!

I am sort of amazed that grabbing them by the scruff of the neck will umm well it works.

What I find extremely amazing is that: I can pill them, cut their nails off, drag them around and put in ear drops and almost anything else while I hold them by the scruff of the neck. Well that is amazing thing. The amazing thing is that they do not mind and even if they do, half hour later they are fine. I can grab any of my cats by scruff and put in any medications and 15 or 30 minites it is like well nothing happened.

I have also read , might have been this board, if you need 3 hands, clip a clothes pin on the scruff of the neck. so they calm down.

I love my cats dearly. I will always put their health over my discomfort! i do not care how much discomfort they have to suffer!