Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this a Healty Normal Eye

jealma
April 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
My vet says it could just be the way her eye is? doens't look right to me. See the difference in the white between the right and left eye.. She is a shih tzu so she is suppose to have buggy eyes, but the white should be white?

Byrd
April 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
How long has it been like that?

Could be some irritation from the hair around it, or some allergies.

Dr Lee
April 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
The 'white' part of the eye is called the sclera. There are some dogs whose sclera will have some diffuse pigmentation giving the sclera a tan to brownish tinge. If all other signs are normal, then yes, one sclera with pigmentation would likely be both permanent and 'normal'. If your veterinarian has examined the eyes then likely she or he has looked for signs of inflammation, infection or congenital disease. It should be noted that pigmentation can also occur secondary to inflammation - but again if you veterinarian has already looked for that...

Does that answer your question? If not, please let me know. :pawprint:

jealma
April 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
See we do learn something new everyday. Now Since the sclera was white when she first came home and changed after, do I need to think that the other eye may change as well? Should I be watching for premature blindness? Yes he looked for inflammation, infection and checked for scratch on her eye. We did cream for 3x a day 5 days, because he said there maybe a small infection, but there was no change in the appearance of her eye after the 5 days.

shane 123
April 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
At first I was thinking conjunctivitis but the hird eyelid isn't showing and that's probably the first thing your vet checked for. So we'll have to go with the pigmentation...this is a first for me also, nice to learn new stuff.
The eye really seems clear, didn't notice any ingrown hair or anything either and it doesn't look like it's running so I guess yiu can relax for a bit and see what happens.

Dr Lee
April 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
...do I need to think that the other eye may change as well? Should I be watching for premature blindness?

Question 1) Possibly.
Question 2) There is no link between primary scleral pigmentation and blindness. The the scleral pigmentation is secondary, meaning that some underlying inflammation is present, then it would depend upon the cause. Again, because your veterinarian looked at the eyes and thinks it is normal - secondary scleral pigmentation seems less likely. So, in short - it sounds like everything should be fine. :pawprint: