Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The boys met the possum this evening

clm
April 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hubby had taken down part of the fence around the pond so there was still the part running along the back edge still there. After dinner he took the dogs out and Bentley (who we now call the rock star because of his long unruly hair and fly by the seat of his pants attitude), started sniffing around like crazy. He's got a real sharp nose that dog. Anyway, Baxter was behind the fence, Bentley was on the other side (same side the possum was). Hubby said Bentley started barking and running up and down the fence line then go back to this one spot. He got over there as fast as he could, and I guess the poor possum feeling trapped with Bentley on one side and Baxter on the other, he was up against the fence lying on his side playing dead. Mind you his mouth was open with all those big teeth showing.
Hubby got the dogs in the house and he was more than a little freaked out, he thought the possum might have been ill or dead. I reminded him that the saying playing possum has a real background. I went out with him and sure enough the possum was gone. Took the dogs back out on leads and let them look around to make sure they understood there was nothing to be upset about anymore. I came back in the house and 15 minutes later hubby is back in with the dogs in tow. Bentley sniffed the little critter out again. This time it was on top of the chain link fence. Neither dog will ever be accused of being sight hounds, they never saw it this time, they could just smell it. They're in for the night now, hubby has gone to bed. I hope the possum gets his fill of the bird seed under the feeders and has the good sense to stay away from the garden come morning.

Cindy

otter
April 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Not the smartest possum on the block if he doesn't get the hint by now that your yard is not a happy place for him :D

Hopefully for you all, he has moved on.... those things look vicious :eek:

clm
April 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
No they're not terribly bright. I guess they're a little stir crazy after the long winter too and they've been around here for years. Love to eat the bird seed under the feeders. What's worse is they're also really slow moving critters, so they don't stand a chance against running dogs. This is the first run in we've had which isn't bad considering there's a good population of them here. I just wish the face to face meeting had been indefinately postponed. :laughing:

Cindy

otter
April 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I just wish the face to face meeting had been indefinately postponed. :laughing:

I'm sure the possum would agree :D:laughing:

t.pettet
April 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
I heard or read somewhere that possums emit an obnoxious odour when they're playing dead which helps dissuade predators from taste testing.

aslan
April 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
the ones out in mississauga are getting desensitized to humans too. We had a couple when i lived there that would walk right past you. And they can be pretty nasty when they have to.

clm
April 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM
There are lots of them around here, and I really don't mind them. They don't destroy anything in the garden and they're quiet. Problem with them is they move so slow. I turn on the flood lights out back 10 minutes before I take the dogs out in the morning as a warning for them to get out of the yard. At night I leave the floods on until the dogs are in for the night. That's worked very well for over 20 years. I didn't get to see this fellow however, but it sounds to me like it wasn't one of the seasoned vetrans, likely a younger one or a new one on the block. No sign of him last night so that's good.
They have pretty wild looking teeth and claws, so I'd imagine they could inflict some nasty bites if they had to. Thank goodness they're pretty passive little creatures.

Cindy

aslan
April 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
i used to live at winston churchill and dundas and we were sittin outside one night and this little bugger came right out from under the car, right towards us, my spouse freaked and ran into the house thinking it was a giant rat. It had absolutely no fear of me.

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I don't understand how come you guys in Ontario have these critters and we don't have any here ... but you can keep them no problem :laughing:

Is there been any incidents of them ever biting dogs ? :confused:

clm
April 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I've never heard of them biting anything. If you saw their teeth though, you'd think they could give quite a nasty bite if they wanted to. I'm surprised you don't have any there yet.

Cindy

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm surprised you don't have any there yet.

Cindy

I don't like the "yet" at the end of your sentence ... sounds like you want to relocate yours here ? :eek: nooooooooo