Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving with dog.. looking for IATA approved kennel

Jamaken
April 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hey,

So I am pretty much set on buying a kennel from skykennelsupply.com as they sell the Petmate SkyKennel line that many airlines recommend.

I am, however, interested in saving a little cash. There are 2 options:

The SkyKennel #400 and #500 are $113 and $138 respectively. I am leaning towards the #500 because my dog is about the size of a lab with a little less girth.

The other kennel I am looking at is at Petsmart. Also a petmate, its the Vari-Kennel [Deluxe, maybe]. While the price is only about $20 cheaper, it is in store and I can just pick it up and return it if I have any issues.

My main question is, do you think the Vari kennel would be alright? I have read on the petmate site that it "meets airline requirements" (vague), and it appears to be the exact same kennel minus the stickers (metal grating, 4way ventilation, etc). I also called Petmate (Doskicil) about the kennel choice and they recommended the SkyKennel as the flight will be international. Imho, this seems more like a sales point of view. Anyways, this post is here for your opinions.

Anyone flown internationally? If yes, what was your choice in kennel?

Thank you,
Kevin

PS - The airline is JAL. And talking with JAL, they didn't seem to have a brand preference for the kennel.

Elizabeth Ann
April 2nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
It was a while back when my dad used to fly to dog shows but we always had Veri's.

Best bet is to call your travel agent. They will have all the conditions.

Have you already booked your flight? About 1.5 years ago I wanted to go to Texas to visit my dad and Gizmo's fair was almost as much as mine.

Also, try to get a flight that you don't have to switch planes. My dad once went to Florida with the dog and on a layover he looked outside and there was the dog in the crate on the black top. HE FREAKED OUT. It was in the middle of the summer and over 100 outside. Good thing my dad noticed because even with him yelling and screaming it still took 15-20 minutes before some one moved Charlie.

Jamaken
April 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
It was a while back when my dad used to fly to dog shows but we always had Veri's.

Best bet is to call your travel agent. They will have all the conditions.

Have you already booked your flight? About 1.5 years ago I wanted to go to Texas to visit my dad and Gizmo's fair was almost as much as mine.

Also, try to get a flight that you don't have to switch planes. My dad once went to Florida with the dog and on a layover he looked outside and there was the dog in the crate on the black top. HE FREAKED OUT. It was in the middle of the summer and over 100 outside. Good thing my dad noticed because even with him yelling and screaming it still took 15-20 minutes before some one moved Charlie.

Hey,

Well we are moving to Japan (my wife and I, and Shadow); however, only my wife and Shadow will be travelling together as I will be on a separate flight later in the month.

We have looked at several options for Shadow and at the moment we have decided that the best airline for us would be JAL as they do not have weight limitations on Shadow and his crate and we would be able to fly from Vancouver to Tokyo (Narita) and then connect to Hiroshima.

I will look into the Vari kennel a little more and see what I can find.

Jamaken
April 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
So... I went with the SkyKennel as I feel its better safe than sorry. Probably would work out with the Vari, but if there is any issue, I would hate having to put off our plans another year or put Shadow through unnecessary connections/return-flights or quarantines.

Oh, and I am fairly impatient.:evil: