Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mengitis or Brain Tumor

Chilver
April 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Last April my son adopted, from the shelter, and schnauser mix. They said she was about 5 yrs old as she was a stray. She had surgery for a large struvite stone the size of an egg shortly after and has been on special Hills food. For the last few months she hasn't barked and seemed very lethargic. Now she paces constantly and whines and sometimes yelps. She has accidents in the house which she didn't have before and she sometimes loses her balance but never falls down. They were very sad to hear that her problem might be Meningitis or a Brain Tumor and is on prednisone and baytil for the next two weeks. They also found out the she is probably more like 8 or 9 yrs. old. Is there any hope she will get better? Has anyone dealt with something like this?

badger
April 3rd, 2008, 01:53 AM
Poor thing, she must be feeling pretty bad. Has she perked up with the meds? Eating?
Is there a test for meningitis?
http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/dogs/meningitis.html

rainbow
April 3rd, 2008, 02:21 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your son's dog. :sad: I would have his vet refer him to a veterinary neurologist. This is from http://www.jojoreader.com/reader/symp.html .....

Don't try to diagnose this yourself!
Symptoms alone are not usually enough to positively diagnose a brain tumor. Many of the symptoms can be caused by other diseases, so you'll want to rule those out to make sure you dog receives the appropriate treatment.
If your veterinarian suspects your dog has a brain tumor, but is not sure, the best thing to do is to make an appointment for a consultation with a veterinary neurologist. You can probably find one at your state college of veterinary medicine. Large clinics in major cities might also have one on staff. A veterinary neurologist is likely to have experience with canine brain tumors and access to the tools needed to diagnose and treat the disease. If you hope to extend your dog's life, don't put off this step. Early diagnosis and treatment will improve your dog's chances for recovery.

Dr Lee
April 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
They were very sad to hear that her problem might be Meningitis or a Brain Tumor and is on prednisone and baytil for the next two weeks. They also found out the she is probably more like 8 or 9 yrs. old. Is there any hope she will get better?

I am very sorry to hear this. Meningitis and brain tumors, while they sound like two diseases; they are actually two large categories of problems. Meningitis is inflammation which may be caused by viruses, bacteria, toxin, autoimmune disease and cancer. Brain tumors, just like all other tumors, vary in their level and method of invasiveness. So without further workup with a neurologist which would include cerebral spinal fluid analysis and MRI or CT scan, this is a difficult question to answer. The good news is that there are forms of both meningitis and brain tumors that can be either cured or managed.

Good luck. :pawprint: