Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice

cujo
April 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
My dog has a tumor on his bladder and bleeds when he urinates the vet say's it might be time to end it soon, he eats ok and plays a little but not as much as he used to he does seem to be slowing down

aslan
April 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Most importantly does he seem to be in pain, and how much is he bleeding. Usually he will tell you when it's time. Sorry to hear you little one is sick.

cujo
April 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Well he seems to be struggling when he needs to go but ones he goes he seems fine, the blood seems to be getting worse as it look's to be almost like a clot

sugarcatmom
April 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your pup. Here's a really good quality of life scale to help you decide when it's time: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/oncology-outlook/quality-of-life-for-pets.aspx

albertahorsegal
April 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
im sorry to hear about your dog. as far as when the time is right to say goodbye. you know your dog better than anyone, and he will tell you when hes had enough. what we used to say where i worked was make a list of 10 things your dog LOVES to do. play ball, go for a run, etc. when the dog cannot manage to do 5 out of 10 of these things, its about time. good luck with him. :pray:

Dr Lee
April 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
I am sorry to hear about your pet! Typically bladder tumors are TCC (transitional cell carcinomas) which are highly aggressive and surgery does not usually extend quantity of life. There is a medication called feldene (Piroxicam) which can help extend both quality and quantity of life. It might be worth asking your veterinarian if this drug is right for your pet if he is not already on it.

I will usually tell owners that the pet will let you know when it is time. I do not know how to explain it but when they tell you, you will know. Best of luck to both of you during this most difficult time. :pawprint: