Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can a rabbie shot cause vomiting?

jealma
April 2nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
My 3 1.2 month pup got her rabbie shot yesterday. She has not been getting sick but last night I was up twice with her vomitting. Funny thing was the vet had ask if she had any problems,, ex: vomiting ect. and she had not had any serious problems before last night when it happened 2x. Im thinking reaction to the shot?

bobsdad
April 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Bob had a major allergic reaction the first rabies shot. His face was 4 times it's normal size.

Was it a rabies shot by itself or was it a cocktail of shots? If it was more then one shot then what I do with Bob is I spread his shots across multiple days.

jealma
April 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
It was just the rabbie shot. I have to take her back in next week to get her final booster. The vet doesn't like to give both on the same day. I was so shocked by how much she was sick though. Mind you she is my first pup so I don't know a lot about things that most would just know is normal.

Dr Lee
April 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately any injectable vaccine can cause side effects that range from mild to very severe. Remember that the vaccines are attempting to fool the immune system into thinking it has a disease without actually giving the animal the disease. Sometimes the body will produce antibodies without affecting any other system of the body. Sometimes the body is so convinced that it has a disease like rabies or distemper, etc... that it reacts very strongly.

Also smaller dogs and small younger dogs can often have a more pronounced effect. This is thought to be due to the fact that the same amount of vaccine is administered to a 1lb chihuahua as to a 200lbs St Bernard. The reason for this is that the vaccine dose has been tested per immune system not by volume per weight like most medications are done. Thus it is one dose per immune system and not a metered dose depending upon size.

I am sorry that your puppy had such a hard time with the vaccine. Luckily rabies is given less frequently than others!

Good luck. :pawprint: