Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calling on ALL Canadians To Make A Difference!

poodletalk
April 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
This week, it appears, Bill S-203 is going to third reading, scheduled Friday, April 4th. If the S-203 bill goes through, culprits of animal cruelty has less then 1% chance of conviction!

It is imperative that we go that extra mile (once again) that we make 15 minutes (once again) to CALL our MPs and voice our dissent against S-203.

Our job is to defeat that Bill - if it goes through, another 10 years of cruelty to animals like the cat in Calgary, the cat in the microwave, the horses in Alberta, and chained and abused and neglected dogs all over this country, until we even have a CHANCE at amendments.

Not only do we need to contact our MPs and educate them as to why S-203 has no teeth, but we need to get their commitment to a) be in-house for the vote on Friday and b) vote NO, in opposition to S-203.

Many will express sympathy, but will they vote in opposition? We get to find out Friday. The quality of the decision lies in the work we do this week - If we swamp them with public outcry, it's in their best interests to LISTEN and ACT in accordance with constituents' wishes.

MPs: www.parl.gc.ca - look up your MP and call!

happycats
April 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Great post poodletalk! together we can make a difference. There is strength in numbers.

badger
April 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
OMG third reading. I wish to hell the vote wasn't on Friday, especially if there's nothing 'more important' to keep MPs in town and take the red-eye back to their ridings.
We now know that the Senate is not the chamber 'of sober second thought' as was intended, but a bunch of buffoons in varying degrees of decay.
Aux armes citoyens!

Dorothea
April 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Lisa and I have done our little bit. We hope our MP will do his also.

Stacer
April 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
I just called my MPs office and although he wasn't in his office I left a message with one of his people and expressed that I would like him to vote NO against Bill S-203.

chico2
April 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Nowhere on the News or in the papers have I read anything about this Bill S-203:confused:
If it does not protect the animals,what does it do:confused:

I think my MP is Mr Flynn,he is a Liberal,I'll try to get a hold of his office.

The latest horror out of Alberta,was a tabby female cat hung from a lamp-post:sad:
As long as there is no punishment to fit the crime,this will continue.

poodletalk
April 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
There was a rally across Canada last week-end to oppose the bill.

Please call your MP and say NO to bill S-203!

Winston
April 2nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Poodletalk I have just done my part as well! Both to the office in my community and to her office at Parliament Hill...

Okay I am not really up on all the laws but I thought they were trying to pass Bill S213? or is this something different? I remember Queen Waldorf being one of the dogs that was used to bring light to this Bill? She was the GSD that was dumped in Niagara Falls with the weights around her neck?

Cindy

rainbow
April 2nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I already did this when I got the news in the BCSPCA newsletter.

Let's hope we can make a difference. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

wdawson
April 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
here are some of the things the mpp's are saying.
http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/cmte/CommitteePublication.aspx?SourceId=227278&Lang=1&PARLSES=392&JNT=0&COM=13192

badger
April 3rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Thank you wdawson, very interesting indeed. It is satisfying to hear the words 'sentient beings' - in relation to animals - in such a setting. Thank you Mr. Comartin.
So far, I've had 'substantive' responses only from MPs Sweet and Mathyssen, both form letters. Trust me, they are sending form letters because the volume of mail they are getting on this issue is too great to handle individually. So that is a good thing, although hardly the whole tamale.
Sweet (Conservative) writes: Keep in mind there will be opportunities for amending the legislation when it is studied by the House of Commons Justice Committee.
Does this mean the law will not be voted on definitively on April 4th?

chico2
April 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Thank's Wayne,I will read the whole thing tonight.
For as long as I can remember,a proper animal-cruely Bill has been on the table every year and rejected,the only thing changing was the number.
Why the hurry now:confused:to implement a nothing law:confused:
I suppose I'll find out when I read some more..

helloapollo
April 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
;):fingerscr good luck for tomorrow,..

chico2
April 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Was I ever wrong:yell:Kevin Flynn is provincial,Bonnie Brown is Oakvilles Federal rep

Chris21711
April 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
The Government are not interested whether it is wanted or not. I was reading the Dogs, Dogs, Dogs paper yesterday and even Hugh Cohill, the Chief Inspector of the OSPCA says that they will pass it regardless that every animal organization has advised against it. They disregarded all when it came to passing DOLA and they will do the same again.

Today they are passing a Bill allowing inspection of Roadside Zoos which wasn't allowed before by the OSPCA and are lauding themselves as coming from last to first in animal cruelty laws in country, what a big fat JOKE.

poodletalk
April 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
The vote has been postponed till Wednesday, please continue calling your MP.

Chris21711
April 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The vote has been postponed till Wednesday, please continue calling your MP.

I saw that in the paper, I wonder what is behind it. I still think they will pass it. I was hoping that when Hugh Cohill (Chief of OSPCA) was on TV yesterday that he would speak out against it, what an opportunity, but he didn't though.

CyberKitten
April 4th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Third reading is usually final unless an MP brings forward amendment which are usually voted on before the third and final reading. Then it goes to the Senate which was defined by our Fathers of Confederation (no votes for women then so no Mothers of Confederation, lol) as a place of sober second thought. Write to every Senator you know. I know several who own dogs and cats- actually what is with Harper- he is a cat lover. Surely to heavens they can come up with a better law than this?

Seriously, the problem is the way this Parliament is constituted and the politics that goes with it.

Here is the Cole's Notes version:
The Bill needs to be stopped. It is too weak and will only prolong animal suffering so several Tories will brake ranks and vote against it (thankfully). We need a good law, not something that is this bad. (after this many yrs). Most animal groups oppose it, as you likely know. Here is what will occur:

# he Liberal Party is supportive of Bill S-203 (although some Liberal MPs oppose it). But the Libs thus far have no backbone, they are scared of an election.
# The Conservatives are supportive of Bill S-203.
# The NDP is strongly opposed to Bill S-203.
# The Bloc Quebecois is supporting Bill S-203 but also supports good legislation like C-373.

Here is where to find your MP:

http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

My MP is voting against it.

cristinadobre
April 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Hello everybody, it was a long time I did not post here, sorry I was busy with a lot of things, all related to animals.
First, we suceed with the law for animal protection to introduce the punishment with jail for those who torture, kill animals. It was promulgated in Jan.2008. The punishment with jail is from 6 month to 3 years.
It is a victory but is not a perfect one. Although Police made to some people a criminal case, they are not in jail for torturing animals.
Our last cases were horses, dogs and cats killed.
Because the law was not applied, we made a petition signed by 120 people to the Police in order to arrest those who are guilty.
Now we are waiting for a reply within 30 days term.
This new law does not include the Animal Police, we want this to be estabilsh but the problem they invoke are the lack of funds for this. Anyway the existent structure of Police must do this job now for the cruelty animal cases.
Anyway you must not give up !
Do all your best efforts to succeed I wish you good luck : :) fingerscr

poodletalk
April 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
It's NOT too late to call your MP's to tell them your disgust againest the s-203 bill

Take alook at this article.
http://www.westendchronicle.com/article-200508-Canadas-current-animal-cruelty-law-is-simply-criminal.html

poodletalk
April 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
From Nat Lauzon's blog..Mix 96

Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Bills Bills Bills
What would you do, if you saw a guy walking a 4 month old husky puppy. Then you saw that guy, for whatever reason pull the puppy up by the leash, choking it? Then you watched in horror as he slammed it against a fire hydrant and kicked it?

You'd probably want to do the same to the guy.

This actually happened, earlier this month in Windsor Ontario. I would like to tell you the dog was taken away from the man. But, it actually had to be euthanized because it was hurt so badly. And the guy in question will likely slip through the cracks like SO MANY people who abuse animals and get away with it.

Wanna know why? The majority of OUR representatives in the House of Commons just voted in favour of a ****TY animal "protection" bill (s-203). One that lets guys like this go unpunished. I know - I don't get it either. Every major animal rights group, many of our MP's and thousands of Canadians who signed petitions wanted a different bill to go through (C-373). One that TRULY protects animals..but the majority won, obviously. And our voices just weren't loud enough.

My MP, Marlene Jennings, voted against the crappy bill. I'm proud of her for doing it and you better believe I'll remember this come election time.

If you don't know who your representative is, you can find them here:

Then you can find out if your representative voted for, or against the bill by clicking here.

http://www.dontbecruel.org/

Then, by clicking the "Take Action" button in the lower right corner - you can sent an automatic letter of thanks OR a whatthehellwhereyouthinkingdumbass letter. It's all written for you and everything.

Please forward this to everyone you know. It's embarassing that as Canadians, we are allowing cruelty to animals to continue to go unpunished. Why are we so behind on this? Why aren't our representatives hearing us?

We obviously need to speak a little louder. So - please take a moment and help.

badger
April 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks Poodletalk.

I'd like to know what the big humane societies are doing - and intend to do, given that this bill will probably get royal assent - because they have definitely dropped the ball on this.

Someone posted a document a few days ago about the downside of neutering animals and I wandered over to the website's homepage to see who was behind it.

http://www.naiaonline.org/about/board.htm

Check out the profiles of the board members. Overwhelmingly, they work in animal 'industries': ranching, circuses, biomedical research, rodeos and of course, breeding. Frequent mention is made of animal extremism and animal terrorism (italics mine). One board member wrote a book entitled 'The Highjacking of the Humane Movement: Animal Extremism'. You get the picture. Why the neutering of domestic animals would even be on their radar is beyond me.

These are the kinds of groups who are ranged against us, and they are formidable. They think even reasonable laws are excessive and will threaten their livelihoods. Casual hunters and fishermen and family farmers are apparently the least of our problems.

Sometimes I feel utterly helpless.

chico2
April 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Poodletalk,what would I do if I saw this man abusing a puppy?
I would beat him up with all that I have and probably end up in jail:evil:
Never ever,in your life would I let anything like that go on...I don't care who it is,you hurt an animal,you are garbage in my book,,:evil:
I got an e-mail back from my rep,I was a little confused if this was federal or provincial,so I wrote both.
Bonnie Brown said she would certainly think about it,sure!!:yell: