Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving to Canada from Great Brittan

Elizabeth Ann
April 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
I am in need of some help (not for myself but for a family member).

My boyfriend’s cousin (aka Cousin-In-Law) is hoping to move to Canada in the next six month. They came here a couple of summers ago and fell in love with all the wide open space that Canada has to offer.

There is one problem, their dog is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which as you know is on the “Banned” list and can not be imported into Ontario unless it’s “Dog Shows and Flyball Tournaments” and even that it’s only temporary.

An important part of this story is my cousin-in-law is a dog trainer. She trains dogs to go into mind fields and sniff them out. She has been doing it for year and even has a degree. So if there was ever a well trained Staff out there it would be this one.

She has been emailing Staffordshire groups and animal rights groups here in Ontario but no one seems to be getting back to her.

Does anyone have any advice?

(I am pretty sure that Dexter has been neutered as well)
(She also understands all the rules and is more then willing to abided them)

Stacer
April 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I think the laws surrounding bully breeds in Ontario are inflexible. Does she have her heart set on Ontario? There are 9 other provinces and 3 territories that don't have BSL legislation. All of them beautiful places to live!!

Elizabeth Ann
April 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Her family is here in Ontario. it would be hard enough to move away from her parents to a place where she knowns noone. Plus she has already started the interviewing processes.

What if her dog was nneded for her job? Like a Handyman needs his hammer, she needs her dog.

mona_b
April 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
If I recall,under the DOLA,only those who are "grandfathered" are the ones allowed.So if you are coming from another state,country,the dog is not allowed.They are stricked and are not allowing this breed in.

Also,I doubt there are any exceptions to this.

SARAH
April 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'd suggest moving to a neighboring provins, just across the border, as close to her parents as possible but still outside Ontario :shrug: if that is possible.

Elizabeth Ann
April 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
I read all about the "grandfathering". I pretty much read the whole law inside out and backwards. I just didn't know if anyone had come across a loophole, or if anyone knew of anyone that had imported a "banned" dog into the country.

The more I am reading about this the madder I am getting. I wished I knew more about it when the law was getting passed so that I could have helped with the fight.

(P.S. While doing some research I found that there are more cases of Cockers biting humans a year then any of these "banned" dogs combined. I have two cockers, both are muzzled when we go out. I understand that a bigger dog may do more damage, but tell that to my right calf were I was bit just two weeks ago. I still have a yellow bruise the size of a Rottie's paw).

ancientgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I feel your pain, so to speak. I live in Miami, Florida, where it has been illegal to own a pit bull since 1989. Now there is talk of banning them in the entire state, and no dog grandfathered in.

I've seen chihuahua's who look scarier than any pit bull could be.

Sadly, ignorance isn't a crime. :wall:

I think Sarah has a good suggestion. If she can find a place to live where perhaps there are no restrictions, yet it's somewhat close to her family and work that would be ideal.

babyrocky1
April 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately, there are no exceptions.. I agree with the previous posts, try and move into a bordering province... and we are still fighting this law but nothing will change any time soon:wall:

wdawson
April 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
even then.....you can't bring the dog for visits with family in ontario:sad:

shane 123
April 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
The dog will have to be quarantined before being allowed entry and that could be where most of your problems will start. They will be obligated to report the breed and everything else will follow. Might be easier to move to Quebec first and when the dog is released from quarantine you could try driving into Ontario with it. Ontarians are not too keen on the breed though so you might still get reported....just don't think there is an answer to the problem...

Saradog
April 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
There's a specific prohibition against importing a banned type dog, which applies to travellers and tourists as well as residents. If you try to bring the dog in, it could be seized and killed. The dog could be discovered when you tried to license it, or a vindictive neighbour reported it.

Don't come to Ontario with your dog.

People in the Canadian Armed Forces have had to rehome their dogs when they were posted to Ontario, because they couldn't bring them. Nice, huh? The Ontario Liberals suck.

Research any municipality before you move there. There is no prohibition preventing a municipality from having breed specific legislation. Get the city or town by-laws in writing from the city/town clerk, don't take someone's word for it.

Saradog
April 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
And wherever you move, keep a weather eye on the city council to make sure they don't subsequently pass breed-specific legislation.

Support Banned Aid, to help overturn this vicious law.

www.bannedaid.com

Elizabeth Ann
April 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
What happened if she trained her dog for Fly-ball and then once a month entered it into a competition? Would that work.

I was thinking about flying the dog into Quebec or Manitoba but I am not sure that will work.

We live in Southern Ontario. neither bordering province is with in a five hour drive.

I am sure she wont have a problem re-homing her boy before she moves because he is a super sweet dog but I am not sure that's what they really want.

Watchdog
April 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Perhaps your boyfriend's cousin may want to wait a little longer than 6 months to move to Ontario. Hopefully the ban may be defeated in the future.

Elizabeth Ann
April 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
I can't wait for six months - I want her to move tomorrow LOL.

Can an organization import her dog into Ontario?

Elizabeth Ann
April 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
But what about the fly-ball idea? Would that work?

She could totally get him training in six months, and it's part of the law that you can bring a dog into Ontario for fly-ball, plus it would be a great way for her to meet more people when her and her husband move here.

SnowDancer
April 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
No, it won't work. And what about the people already here who have the same problem? It may not be fair to the dog, but unfortunately, many Canadians have had to live with it and exceptions cannot be made for people wanting to move here.

mona_b
April 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
What happened if she trained her dog for Fly-ball and then once a month entered it into a competition? Would that work

While she is in Ontario?No,that won't work.You can only bring them in for the competitions(sanctioned by the North American Flyball Asso)..But that doesn't mean the dog can stay here just to participate every month.

Can an organization import her dog into Ontario?

Absalutely not.

CyberKitten
April 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
There are no exceptions in the Ontario law. NONE!!

wdawson
April 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
there was a story about a pit being sent to michigan.....neville.....he became a top explosives detecting dog with the us border patrol......then BSL came along and he had to leave.....so if any government gets rid of their own...the general public stands no chance.

Elizabeth Ann
April 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone for all the information and helping me not get any false hopes.

My boyfriends cousin just flew in for a job interview today so at least I can break the news to her face and before she makes any 100% decisions to move here.

mona_b
April 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I remember that story about Neville.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060317/pitbull_060317/20060318?hub=TopStories

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Burnett_Thane/2006/02/24/1459653.html

then BSL came along and he had to leave.....

Ummmm not that I'm aware of.BSL has no rights in the States.

There are quite a few "pitties" that are on the US force as bomb detection dogs.

http://www.lawdogsusa.org/home.html

:thumbs up

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Ummmm not that I'm aware of.BSL has no rights in the States.

There are quite a few "pitties" that are on the US force as bomb detection dogs.

It depends on where you live. There is BSL here in the states. I live in Florida. In Miami-Dade County, which is where I live, it is illegal to own a pit, no one not even the police can have them. Yet if you drive over to the next county, Broward, you can own a pit. The law is ridiculous. To tell an owner if they move to a certain place they can't bring along their dog is like telling someone to leave their kids behind.

mona_b
April 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me...;)

Well Washington State is where Neville is.So no BSL there......:D

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM
What really blows now is, I was reading that the Florida legislature is thinking of banning the breed in the entire state, with no dog grandfathered in. In Miami, pits have been banned since 1989, but when the ban was first enacted owners who had pits were allowed to keep them, just no "new" dogs allowed. Now, imagine having a pit bull as a loving pet, part of your family and the state passes a law telling you you can no longer have your dog, period.

Like there isn't anything better the state or federal government could be doing than writing up legislature banning someone's pet. :frustrated:

Sazalou
April 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM
My husband and I are moving to Ontario from the UK. We were both really shocked that the Liberals had banned Staffies as in the UK they are in the top 5 of best family dogs.

I know the UK has banned Pitbulls for a while but it has been shown that breed bans don't work. I think if they tried to add Staffies to the banned list in the UK there would be an uproar amongst Staffies owners as they are really popular dogs over here. Staffies have just had a bad rap from the press due to irressponsible owners when really Staffies are just big love machines.

If I could have a dog I would choose a Staffie over any other breed, but it looks like we won't be getting one when we move Ontario which is a big shame, they are fantastic little dogs.

We will be supporting bannedaid when we move so we can get the law changed ASAP.

Watchdog
April 27th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Yes, it is insane that they added the Staffordshire Bull Terrier to the banned list over here. There is not even one reported case of a Staffy attacking anyone in all of Canada. We had an ignorant politican who said " if it looks like a pitbull then its a pitbull " and because of his narrow mind it's created one hell of a mess. I hope you enjoy it here in Ontario, the people are great and the land is great especially in the north. We are just unfortunate to have bad politicans in Ontario who make stupid laws.

gaerwen
May 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
The dog will have to be quarantined before being allowed entry and that could be where most of your problems will start. They will be obligated to report the breed and everything else will follow. Might be easier to move to Quebec first and when the dog is released from quarantine you could try driving into Ontario with it. Ontarians are not too keen on the breed though so you might still get reported....just don't think there is an answer to the problem...

We brought a dog in from Georgia, to Canada last april and never had to quarantine. My friends brought 2 dogs 6 months ago from the UK and there was no quarantine. They came to calgary also.

Id check on that.

As far as bringing it in fom another province, Im not sure about Ontario but I read in some of the US states they can take your dog and kill it in routine traffic stops as it will be considerd contraban. (sp?) The other issue will be vetting it. Most vets will recognize that breed.

Also, Edmonton Alberta has some sticky laws about Bullies... they have to be muzzled etc. Calgary is Bully friendly ...

babyrocky1
May 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Yep, Edmonton sucks.. apparantly you need thousands of dollars a year to insure your bullie, and insurance is madatory!
Calgary... is sweeeeeet!

Shaz12
April 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
My dog is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.In October 2005 My dog and i flew to Toronto, that's the year the Pitbull ban was introduced ( not a ban on Staffordshire Bull Terriers) In England she had all her injections that she needed and also a chip and a Pet Passport, all from the vet. Then 72 hours before we flew she went for a check-up to make sure she was good to fly. We boarded Air Transat plane ( i don't think they fly animals now, but worth a check ) and landed in Toronto. There is a fee to bring your dog through i think it was about $35 something like that, they check the dogs papers and your free to leave the airport. There is no quarintine, if you have dog food they will take that from you they did that with me but i only had a hand full of dog food. All my dog wanted to do was go to the bathroom, imagine not using the bathroom for over a day ( time difference with UK and Canada )

Luvmypitgirls
April 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, it is insane that they added the Staffordshire Bull Terrier to the banned list over here. There is not even one reported case of a Staffy attacking anyone in all of Canada. We had an ignorant politican who said " if it looks like a pitbull then its a pitbull " and because of his narrow mind it's created one hell of a mess. I hope you enjoy it here in Ontario, the people are great and the land is great especially in the north. We are just unfortunate to have bad politicans in Ontario who make stupid laws.

I say we ban politicians that have their heads up the their a$$es, talk about needing a muzzle!:frustrated: