Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6mo old cat has diarrhea with flatulence

AnmlLuvr
April 2nd, 2008, 12:52 AM
:confused:I have 3 cats, but only one of them has very bad diarrhea. The other two don't seem to be affected. It's leaking out of him and comes out very noisily when he flatulates. He is eating and drinking normally, but I have put him on a fast with occasional water. I do have an appointment in the am to go to the vet, but I am just wondering if this is common and heard-of.

badger
April 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
The vet is be a good place to start. Take a sample of his poo with you (doesn't matter if there is a bit of kitty litter mixed in) so they can test it for parasites. If he has parasites, it would be a good idea to treat the other cats as well, since they share a litter box.
Or it may be bacterial, in which case antibiotics would be needed.

Please don't withold food. Cats who don't eat are at risk of liver disease. Give him some chicken and white rice, simmered until they are both very soft. Try to find some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just plain pumpkin) and give him a couple of tablespoons. Mix it with some canned food if he won't eat it plain. Pumpkin can help both diarrhea and constipation, it is a good thing to have on hand.

He may also have developed a sensitivity to the food he is eating. What do you normally feed them?

The vet will probably try to sell you special food, which is expensive and not necessary. Better to go with canned food or a grain-free kibble (also not cheap but way better quality).

Good luck, I hope you can get to the bottom of this :) soon.

Love4himies
April 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
I second Badger's advice. My Jasper had a real problem with that (not the leaking though) when he was on grocery store, grain filled, food. Stopped after changing to Wellness grain free and Orijen.

Do not ever fast a cat unless it is in vet care, it can develop liver disease very quickly!

Dr Lee
April 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Great advice guys!

I have had many young, otherwise healthy cats with flatulence and soft stool/diarrhea have intestinal parasites as the underlying cause. Most of these are fairly straight forward to treat. :D