Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Multiplying like Bunnies

glasslass
June 23rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Ok! I'm here in the library and an elderly gentleman is viewing math telecourse tapes. He talked about the beautiful day and he'd much rather be outside at his ranch watching the bunnies. So I asked him about them, jack or cottontail? Then he told me they started with 6 cottontails when they acquired the property. They were already there. They enjoyed watching them and started feeding them. Now, they have counted 84! He says he realizes what is naturally going to happen. What can he do? Is there a feed available with contraceptives? I know nothing about rabbits and what is available. :confused: :confused:

Luba
June 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have no idea

Mittens&Lara
June 23rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
I don't believe there's a feed with bunny contraceptives in it. I've had rabbits for 10 years. They're wonderful, funny and sweet, but they love to love. I would suggest he check with a local animal sanctuary, see if they'll come and pick up a few, like 60 or so. There has to be some way of providing them with safe places to live.

Don't feed the bunnies - they multiply faster when there's a definite, never-ending food supply. Feed them less or not at all - they're wild, they can find food. 84 bunnies. Wow! A sea of twitching noses and fluffy tails :) .

glasslass
June 23rd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Sigh! And probably all named Peter! :p I guess I've read too many articles about cities doing that with pigeons and was hoping for the same thing for bunnies. :o At least, he has 10 acres. :D

melanie
June 23rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
r the bunnies native to that area or your country?? if so if he stoped feeding them they would probably naturally control their own population, nature has its ways in some situations. but there are alot of poisions and traps they could use. if they are not native, well, in australia we have alot of nice poisions that we put on carrots to kill the bunnies, and some that makes them infertile, also we try to spread different sexually transmitted diseases amongst them to kill them of also and heaps of research is always being done. poor bunnies cant help feeling sorry for them, they make me fell a bit funny though, i was raised to think them a big problem. i found some babies as a girl, dad let me keep them for a week and then he wrung their necks, oh i was devestated, so unfair.. cause here in aus we have huge problems with them, they are a feral pest. at one stage (1920's i think) the farmers and government built a huge fence that spanned thousands of kilometers across two states. called the rabbit proof fence, ha it never kept one bunny out, stupid idea but cute none the less.

Karin
June 23rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
r the bunnies native to that area or your country?? if so if he stoped feeding them they would probably naturally control their own population, nature has its ways in some situations. but there are alot of poisions and traps they could use. if they are not native, well, in australia we have alot of nice poisions that we put on carrots to kill the bunnies, and some that makes them infertile, also we try to spread different sexually transmitted diseases amongst them to kill them of also and heaps of research is always being done. poor bunnies cant help feeling sorry for them, they make me fell a bit funny though, i was raised to think them a big problem. i found some babies as a girl, dad let me keep them for a week and then he wrung their necks, oh i was devestated, so unfair.. cause here in aus we have huge problems with them, they are a feral pest. at one stage (1920's i think) the farmers and government built a huge fence that spanned thousands of kilometers across two states. called the rabbit proof fence, ha it never kept one bunny out, stupid idea but cute none the less.

Exactly, stop feeding them. I love cotton tails, but they are a product of nature, live and let be..they must learn to live on their own and flourish on their own accord. They reproduce at will if food is plentyful, much like deer. It's natures way of keeping poplulation in check. If there is plenty of food, more bunnies. If the food suddenly stopped, some, the strongest will go on. Stop now before they have to suffer from famine or inbreeding.
Mother nature has been around alot longer than all of our caring souls have been and no one should argue with her, only help out when needed.

glasslass
June 23rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks! He won't want to kill them because they love watching them. I will tell him about not feeding them. He said he also has 20 acres at another location by the river and had trapped and moved some of them there. Maybe that's another solution too as it would be moving them away from where they've been fed. Cottontails are native to this area; jackrabbits more so. Usually on a ranch, there'll be a family of cottontails near the woodpile or ranch building which the farmers will usually tolerate but ignore, then there will be many many jackrabbits in the fields, which eat the crops and dig holes that cause problems with irrigation and the farmers hate them. Lot of people also eat them. Taste like chicken, I'm told! As a kid, I had my very own cocker spaniel. My father was disgusted with her because she saw a jackrabbit and ki-yi-yi'd all the way back to me. But I loved her and she was mine.

Karin
June 23rd, 2004, 08:51 PM
I love the bunnies, always have. They were back for a little while along with the feral cats/kittens. Food was plentiful!
Last month I used one of our county's Hav-A-Heart safe traps for the ferals.
Caught nothing but opossums.
Bunnies are gone and so are the cats/kittens. Coyotes are back once again.
A Coyote killed our female muted swan last year.
It's a food chain I know, still makes me mad.
By people feeding all the bunnies and cats they have opened up a "feed barrell" ...Leave well enough alone...

Nature is a great thing, too many people are invading what once was natural.
Population is the biggest invasion ever.