Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sugar Rush

LuckyTheDog
April 1st, 2008, 10:47 AM
All day Lucky is fine and calm.

Around 8 o'clock Lucky becomes very overactive. No I'm not feeding her sugar but the results look similar. She runs franticly around the room, jumps on us, nips and bits at my legs and ankles.

Complicating the matter, my wife has had a stroke and cannot simply get up and leave the room (which I understand to be the standard recommendation).

While Lucky is performing as described, she frequently goes into the 'play mode' stance (paws out, head down, bum up) so I believe she thinks she is playing a really fun game. My discouragement techniques are either:

a) squirt with water sprayer - antagonizes her and she proceeds to up the ante by adding growling and barking.
b) grabbing her to pull her away from my wife (who is by now becoming alarmed) - encourages Lucky because she now thinks being grabbed is part of the game. She now runs back and forth (play stance) and figures getting caught or getting away is part of the game.

When I do manage to catch her I put her in her crate (again not recommended by the professionals) but sending Lucky to her room seems to me to be the only option.

I let her out after a few minutes but then she starts all over again.

This continues until she exhausts herself and falls into a deep sleep. (Sugar rush expended?)

Suggestions?

luckypenny
April 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Sounds like the "zoomies" to me LuckyTheDog. My dogs do it at least twice a day, once mid-morning, and once several hours before bedtime. It's actually quite comical to watch them get all goofy and race around like they've gone mad.

I have, however taught them to not carry on indoors like that. "Not In The House," is what you'll hear me yell laughing at the same time. They stop immediatley and run to the back door cuz they know they can continue their silliness in the yard.

Is there any way you can let your little guy outside to get the "zoomies" out of his system without bothering anyone?

clm
April 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Sounds like the zoomies to me too. Perfectly normal for most dogs. Especially young dogs but even my older dogs did this just not as frequently as the younger ones.
Since you know this normally happens around 8:00, take the dog out around 7:00 every night for a good walk and then play, play, play for an hour. She wants to play and has lots of pent up energy.

Cindy

Winston
April 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Gotta love those zoomies! My guy used to run up one side of the coach..down the other...through the dining room and back into the living room to start all over again!

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
I call it the "kitty crazies" since I have cats. But they do the same thing. They do it in the morning and in the evening. Sometimes right before bed. It's funny, one minute they're all asleep, and the next it's like a tornado or in my case, a hurricane is going through my living room.

rainbow
April 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
All day Lucky is fine and calm.

How much exercise does she get during the day?

LuckyTheDog
April 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Thank you all for your comments. If nothing else I now know that Lucky's behaviour is generally typical. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

I do let her run around outside as much as she wants but when she comes back inside she is as energetic as ever. For exercise she gets 4 to five walks a day plus we play fetch inside for a half an hour or so at least twice a day.

I want to get her outside more but just now the park I want to use is still thawing out which means plenty of large puddles. Another few weeks should resolve that.

She is six months old and due to be spad in another week. This is my first dog ever so I've got lots to learn.

growler~GateKeeper
April 3rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
I would get her enrolled in Puppy Obedience very soon as well, & talk to the trainer about the nipping issues the last thing you want is for this behaviour to continue into adulthood :)

badger
April 3rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
We would love a picture of Lucky, preferably in the bum-up position :D.

rainbow
April 3rd, 2008, 02:32 AM
Puppy Obedience classes would be very good for her and since she's your first dog they would benefit you as well.

And, I second the request for pics of your little girl. :D

LuckyTheDog
April 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
So far Lucky is in the Social Skills group. Obedience Classes come next.

I posted a few pictures of her on the pet pictures thread. I tried to get one of her in her play mode, but as soon as she saw the camera she got curious about the camera and quickly dropped out of play mode.