Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Giving homeopathic remedies

dodecaphonie
March 31st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hi,

I need an adivce concerning giving homeopathic remedies. I give my cat some homeopathic remedies, but I don't know what to do when she spits the pellets out. I was advised to give two pellets. She usually keeps at least one in out of the two. I have been trying to take it back with a spoon and try to give it to her, but it takes many attempts. I even try to top it with plain yogourt, but she finds it and spit it again. I always end up being able to give it back to her but I am wondering if this "handling" of the remedy might just neutralize it.

Should I just give her one more pellet ( 3 ) instead of two when this happens ? or is it enough if she takes just one ?

thank you for your help

Melanie

clm
March 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM
What are you giving her and what are you giving it to her for? Who gave you the advice on the treatment?

Cindy

dodecaphonie
March 31st, 2008, 08:31 PM
My veterinarian advised me on the treatment. He is a certified homeopath. I give her Arsenicum album 15ch twice a week and Hepavet once a day for her liver. It is a treatment to help detoxify her liver as she was given a lot of medication in the past. I beleive the Arsenicum is to help strenghten her system as she had chronic bowel problems in the past.

thanks

Dracko
March 31st, 2008, 10:30 PM
I give my cats homeopathics often. First off probably having bought it in a liquid tincture might have been easiest but to give an animal the tablets just dissolve them in lukewarm water and put it in a syringe (most pharmacies will give them to you for free or you can buy them at independant pet stores). Then you just hold the cat down and insert it in the side of their mouth between their teeth.

growler~GateKeeper
April 1st, 2008, 12:01 AM
What was the exact instructions the homeopath vet gave you on how to administer them?

This is essential because certain remedies cannot be touched by hand or they lose some potency because they start to work on contact. Certain remedies should not be given with food or water, whereas some you have to give with food.

Dracko
April 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
ALL homeopathics should not be touched with the hand. There are none excluded from this and ALL can be given with distilled water. In my 20 years in the natural health industy I have never heard of one that worked better with food what so ever. Homeopathic medicine should be taken on a clean pallet.

growler~GateKeeper
April 1st, 2008, 12:52 AM
Yes Dracko you are right, what I meant was there are some homeopathic supplements in pill form that can be taken with food or water & that can be touched by hand.

Since the OP mentions giving 2 pellets & topping one w/yougurt I was wondering if this might not be a contact acting one :shrug:

Hepavet is a tablet (pill form) vitamin etc this should be able to be handled unless otherwise prescibed

The contact acting remedy prescribed to give my cat comes in such tiny pellets you couldn't give just 2. Whereas she also is prescribed 2 supplements in pill form that can be handled.

growler~GateKeeper
April 1st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Should I just give her one more pellet ( 3 ) instead of two when this happens ? or is it enough if she takes just one ?

Never give more than what is prescribed by the vet. Can you book an appt to have him/her to demonstrate how to give these particular remedies.

Dracko
April 1st, 2008, 01:50 AM
I would give what the vet suggested but you CANNOT give too much of an over-the-counter homeopathic. Homeopathics are not like allopathic medicines.

From Hylands, one of the worlds leading authorities on homeopathics:

You cannot overdose on homeopathic medicines. If you take fifteen tablets or five tablets (or 100 tablets for that matter) AT ONE TIME it is one dose. You will stimulate your curative response one time. So, it is not a tragedy if more than six tablets fall into the cap, just take them rather than risk putting a contaminated pill back into the bottle to contaminate the others in the bottle.

Homeopathics are the safest "aid" you can give your pet and should be the one you feel most comfortable with. If you give a remedy that is not needed, nothing happens.

There is not a single case reported in the medical literature of anyone ever dying from an overdose of a Homeopathic medicine prepared and dispensed in accordance with the standards of the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States. This is an extraordinary safety record. Tens of millions of homeopathic doses are taken every year in Europe and North America. Contrast this with the toxicity due to aspirin and acetaminophen (most common as TylenolTM). Every year US and Canadian Poison Control Centers receive over 250,000 telephone calls about poisoning from both of these drugs. The Homeopathic pharmaceutical industry and the providers of Homeopathic care in both Canada and the United States can be justifiably proud of their record. They have lived up to the primary and highest ideal in medicine, "First, Do No Harm!"

http://www.findnaturaltreatment.com/homeopathy.html

Dracko
April 1st, 2008, 02:04 AM
The info below is an excerpt from the book, Raising Cats Naturally: How to care for your cat the way nature intended. The reason you can put the tablets in milk is because the homeopathics are prepared in a base of lactose (milk sugar).

I love using homeopathy on my cats because it is so easy to administer remedies. I have a few cats that are notoriously difficult to pill. I could not imagine having to administer medicine once or twice a day to these cats! I am so glad I discovered homeopathy!

Homeopathic remedies should not be given within 30 minutes of your cat having food in his mouth. You should not mix homeopathic remedies with any food except milk or cream. If your cat likes milk or cream, you can dissolve a few pellets in a clean glass saucer of milk or cream. Let your cat drink the milk or cream. He does not drink all of it in order for the remedy to work.

If your cat will not drink milk or cream, pour a few pellets, no more than three or four, into the cap of the remedy vial. Do not touch the pellets, the oils in your skin can contaminate a remedy. Gently open the cat's mouth and toss the pellets in. If you are using a remedy that is in the larger pellets, you may need to crush them into a powder between two clean spoons. I have found cats spit out the larger pellets. If it is in a powder or the tiny pellets, they usually cannot spit them all out. Even if only one pellet got in the cat's mouth, that is all you need. If any drop on the floor, throw them away.

The same potency usually should not be administered more than once. If you need to give the remedy again, you should use the liquid method of dosing which changes the potency of the remedy ever so slightly. Dissolve one 30c pellet in a sterilized glass jar, or better yet, an amber vial (see resources) containing four ounces of spring water or distilled water. Put the cover on the jar strike it against the palm of your hand (brace your arm against your waist) five times. You can also put a towel on a countertop as a pad and strike the jar against the countertop. Draw off one spoonful of the water from the jar and stir it into a clean glass containing another four ounces of spring or distilled water. Stir the water in the second glass about ten times. Then give your cat a spoonful of the liquid from the second glass. You can use a glass eyedropper or stir the liquid into a bit of cream or milk. The liquid method of dosing is very gentle and often works better the dry dosing in sensitive subjects. Now comes the hard part. You wait for the remedy to work and watch for new symptoms.

Good luck, dodecaphobie

growler~GateKeeper
April 1st, 2008, 02:12 AM
Dracko I am not arguing or trying to argue :)

If your cat will not drink milk or cream, pour a few pellets, no more than three or four, into the cap of the remedy vial. Do not touch the pellets, the oils in your skin can contaminate a remedy. Gently open the cat's mouth and toss the pellets in.

Of course it depending on which remedy you are using. The one I have is supposed to contact the mucous membranes ie lips & gums to dissolve there and it not to be swallowed. Can not be given with milk or cream and the dosage is different.

dodecaphonie
April 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thank you. Actually, I know how to give them and I usually don't have problem. I take the pellets in the cap, open the mouth and put them on the back of the tongue. When she spits out is when one of the pellets don't reach the back of the mouth. Maybe my question was not clear. I was wondering what to do if one pellet is spit out. Give a new one ? I was trying to take back the one that she spit out with a spoon so I would not have to touch it. It is the only time I tried with yogourt and you are right, it did not change anything. The Hepavet is actually a pellet like the Arsenicum. I bought both of the remedies at my vet's office.

Maybe also on the long run it is not that bad since I am repeating the remedy twice a week or everyday ?

thank you for your answers and please if you have other tips or comments or experiences to share about homeopathy, please do so. I am very interested in the subject :cat:

dodecaphonie
April 1st, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thank you. Actually, I know how to give them and I usually don't have problem. I take the pellets in the cap, open the mouth and put them on the back of the tongue. When she spits out is when one of the pellets don't reach the back of the mouth. Maybe my question was not clear. I was wondering what to do if one pellet is spit out. Give a new one ? I was trying to take back the one that she spit out with a spoon so I would not have to touch it. It is the only time I tried with yogourt and you are right, it did not change anything. The Hepavet is actually a pellet like the Arsenicum. I bought both of the remedies at my vet's office.

Maybe also on the long run it is not that bad since I am repeating the remedy twice a week or everyday ?

thank you for your answers and please if you have other tips or comments or experiences to share about homeopathy, please do so. I am very interested in the subject :cat:

dodecaphonie
April 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM

marko
April 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Just in case members are interested - we also sell a few homeopathic medications right off this site. We have MANY regular customers that love homeopathic products. http://www.pets.ca/onlinestore/modeng/name/onlinestore/catid/13

And even though it's already been explained - here's another tip on giving cats pills. http://www.pets.ca/pettips/pet-tip-98.htm

Hope that helps,

Marko