Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2008 may see shelters having a harder time

CearaQC
March 31st, 2008, 05:39 PM
This is just a prediction and I hope I am wrong.

After reading many articles online as I do every day, I came across this one

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5662307.html

"Analyst Predicts Corn Rationing in 2008"

Here's the facts

Many are losing their incomes as well as their homes due to economic problems. And let's face it, not everyone out there feeds their pets the best food. Majority of supermarket pet foods out there list the first ingredient as corn. But the alternatives aren't that much economically better. Rising fuel costs will only make grocery shopping more expensive. The stores don't want to eat those costs and pass them along to the customer. But even the stores will suffer because people are buying less and less.

Wheat is already through the roof and now corn will be the same.

So as prices go higher and higher, and incomes and savings accounts getting lower or sometimes non-existent, I fear there will be greater pressures on animal shelters in North America starting this year.

The good news is that puppy mill business may go down, because even the mill owners won't be able to feed their pets (well, some don't feed them at all, but that's another story altogether). And the general public may not buy from puppy mills either because they would rather spend what money they do have on groceries to feed their families. If they cannot afford to feed themselves, they certainly won't be able to feed pets.

I'm scared... don't know what's going to happen and I hate seeing animals and people suffer. I am afraid more and more people will get rid of their pets simply because they will not be able to afford to feed them. We may see more starving pet stories like Whisper. :sad:

I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but I want others to be aware of the possibility. If this economic stuff continues, we're all going to hurt.

luckypenny
March 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Wheat is already through the roof and now corn will be the same.

In reference to pet foods, meat prices are going down. The increase in the price of corn and wheats may be balanced by this. Unless fuel prices continue to increase dramatically, the cost of pet foods should remain about the same :shrug: .

Frenchy
March 31st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Unless fuel prices continue to increase dramatically,

Hoping what I heard is not true but they predict gas will be $1.40 this summer. :wall:

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hoping what I heard is not true but they predict gas will be $1.40 this summer. :wall:

OMG!!! I WISH gas was $1.40. The lowest I can find here is $3.29. It's obscene.

luckypenny
March 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
:laughing: That's 1.40$ a litre, ancientgirl :D .

Right now the average price is about 4.75$ a gallon in Quebec.

3.39$....I wish :D

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2008, 09:13 PM
Oh sorry:o

:laughing:I was ready to pack up my kitties and haul us across the border already.

It's insane the price of gas and food.

I read something just this afternoon about how people are rethinking how they eat simply because everything at the market has gone up so much. I've noticed it big time. But I have to say, the dog and cat food I see at the market is fairly inexpensive, simply because it's ingredients aren't the best in the world. Lots of grains and such.

luckypenny
March 31st, 2008, 09:20 PM
:laughing:I was ready to pack up my kitties and haul us across the border already.

Don't let that stop you from coming for a visit :) .

Although the price of gas is high, I find that if one avoids the large grocery stores and hits the smaller markets for fresh produce and meat, food is actually quite cheap in Montreal :shrug: . You just have to know where to shop.