Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I don't need your guilt trip Pet insurance person!

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
So I called the pet insurance company to cancel the Fabulous 5 from their policies. I only had Oksana's policy number handy and the lady asked me what happened to her that I wanted to cancel her policy.:frustrated:

Me "Nothing happened to her, I just need to cancel their policies because I'm going through a difficult financial time and I can't afford it."

Them "Well I can see you have all 5 of your cats on policies, they have very unusual names. Are you sure you want to cancel?"

Me "I need to cancel at this time."

Them "Well, you're their owner and your the one who takes care of them so it is up to you. (WTH?) If you want to reinstate them you can within 3 months, if not we won't cover any of their pre-existing conditions."

:mad: Me "They don't HAVE any pre-existing conditions, they are all, thank the lord, very healthy."

Them "Oh you're lucky, we have tons of claims here." Like she's disappointed they aren't sick!

Me "Look, if I had the means, I would provide them with the best policy you offered, but I don't have it, so please just cancel the policies."

I swear, if she'd have said anything else I would have asked to speak to a manager. I feel crappy enough that I don't have anything in case heaven forbid they had an accident, she doesn't have to make me feel even more crappy!

I've looked around, there are plenty of other pet insurance companies around. When I get back on my feet, I'll either get them all policies, or just Czarina, since she's outside and sock money away in an account just for them. I have a checking account in another bank I don't use so I can use that account to put money in. Or I can open a savings account or something!

Sheesh! I was feeling so good too. I didn't get a bonus this month, but my boss promised to make it up to me next month, plus I asked my landlord if he'd mind if I took off $100 from my rent until I got paid again and he told me it wouldn't be a problem. So I have something now to at least get me by for food and gas for the next 2 weeks.

Jim Hall
March 31st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Well she just doing her job and ashe could have laid a very large guilt trip

hope your finances get better

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2008, 03:49 PM
I know they are trained to get you to stay, but laying a guilt trip on someone who loves their pet and has to cancel their insurance isn't right. I didn't appreciate that at all.

meg4050
March 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM
Ancient, I had the same problem... was harrassed for a few weeks until I finally talked to a manager. When I adopted Peaches he came with a 6 week policy plus the company his microchip is from gave me a month of coverage.

Both companies called me, I explained I couldn't afford to renew it at that time. I had to explain to 4 different people before I got it through their head that it wasn't worth it for me. In order to have a cat covered for epilepsy you have to go to the highest possible coverage since its rare, but the fee is twice as much a month has his medication!

When I told the manager that, they finally stopped calling...

meg4050
March 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Oh and they wouldn't cover him on anything lower than that for other illnesses because he had a pre-existing condition...

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Isn't it horrible? I had that happen to me with my car warranty company. I finally had to tell the guy that unless he planned on paying the darn thing for me he needed to leave me the heck alone.

I know they have to sell this stuff but how hard is, "I can't afford it anymore," to understand? I mean, she was speaking English, I was speaking English, so what's the deal?