Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barnotti on "Sick Leave"

diandpat
March 31st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Just heard on CTV news that Montreal SPCA is under "new management". Barnotti is on sick leave and not actively involved in the operations on the Montreal SPCA and several Board members have "resigned".

About time there is a shake up. Hope it is going in the right direction. :fingerscr

Frenchy
March 31st, 2008, 11:32 AM
omg I'm jumping up and down in my office right now !!!! :clap: :thankyou: :crazy:

That probably explains why the dogs are NOW getting spayed and neutered over there !!! :thumbs up

diandpat
March 31st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Ooops. sorry...it is a leave of absence, not a sick leave. There is going to be more to the story on CTV at 6.

chico2
March 31st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Only on Quebec CTV,I suppose:confused:Please tell us what is beeing said!

rainbow
March 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM
WOO HOO ....it's about time. :highfive:

badger
March 31st, 2008, 05:14 PM
I heard this too. Was he toppled or just couldn't take the heat? In any case, he's clearly leaving his options open. Others have apparently also resigned, including the treasurer of 15 years, who said everything was always above board. Did I also hear that they have lost the right to use the title SPCA of Canada (being separate from other SPCAs)?

I hope it's good news.

diandpat
March 31st, 2008, 05:27 PM
From what I remember, Barnotti is on indefinite sick leave, the President, Treasurer and another unspecified member of the board have resigned. There is an emergency meeting on April 9, I would guess to figure out where to go from here and elect (appoint?) members to the new positions.

They made no mention of the use or banning of SPCA...doesn't mean it is not true, just that they did not report on that.

I did not realize that after CTV did the expose (which took a year of digging and Barnotti refused to cooperate/participate) that Barnotti posted videos on You Tube to address the content of the report :shrug:

Hopefully if they can get rid of the bad apples the SPCA can now focus on taking care of the animals in its care. It will inevitably lead to more accountability of the spending of public donations which means more should end up taking care of animals.

I did not realize there had been a rise of spay/neuters there Frenchy but if you say so then I guess it is true...I know you "know people"!!!!

It will be interesting to watch this play out.

Rottielover
March 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM
I have see the rise in spay/neuter myself when I have been helping out with Taz and princess.
I asked one of the woman there, and she said yes, about f'n time huh, LOL
We both laughed and said hell ya....
I was really nice to see it

luckypenny
March 31st, 2008, 06:21 PM
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/quebec/story.html?id=edf70fa6-1082-4c1d-bdaa-08ee1cca650e&k=65646

I missed the news on tv but found this.

rainbow
March 31st, 2008, 06:25 PM
So, if he's on "disability" leave doesn't that mean that he still gets paid? :rolleyes: :frustrated:

diandpat
March 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM
If it's disability the insurance company pays. At least that is how it work at my employment. It is still more than he deserves. Looks like he is dodging a bullet...for now! I worry that even if they get rid of him he will continue to collect if his wage indemnity has been approved. Something of a preemptive strike, really.

chico2
April 1st, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hopefully it is a good thing for the animals:fingerscr
In tact animals should never be adopted out,as we all know it just adds to the overpopulation.
I don't know about other HS,but ours always spay/neuter.
A couple of years back,a reporter wrote about Barnotti and the way he ran things,not a good report.
I wrote him an e-mail and got an angry one back.

badger
April 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I wrote him an e-mail and got an angry one back.
That is Barnoti all over, blinded by ego.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a court case come out of this, he won't be able to let it rest.

marko
April 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Intact animals should never be adopted out,as we all know it just adds to the overpopulation.
I don't know about other HS,but ours always spay/neuter.

As a volunteer over there I must say that that issue is one of the most disturbing to me. That they allow pets to leave WITHOUT being spayed/neutered even though adopters pay for the spay/neuter. They make you come back, counting on the goodwill of people to bring their pets back to get spayed/neutered and OF COURSE many of them never come back. That policy as everyone on this board knows is BAD. As far as I am concerned, it's blindingly obvious that ALL pets need to be spayed/neutered BEFORE they are adopted out. I am glad to see that this is finally starting to change.

Ok - sorry for the thread jack...

Marko

unconditional
April 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
barnotti was a real estate agent before his title with SPCA
could i be incharge i mean why not!:clown:

diandpat
April 2nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Sorry unconditonal...the job has been filled! The CTV is reporting that the Montreal SPCA is $4 million in debt and at this rate could be completely bankrupt in as little as three months.

The acting President, Sheila Brietman (?), also confirmed that Barnotti is still an employee but is on indefinite sick leave. What a mess he has left and the new council has inherited. :mad:

I wish them luck :fingerscr:pray: