Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much do you pay a friend to take care of yor dog?

bluesunshine
March 31st, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hi,

I live in Ontario and I have a 6-month-old super hyper golden retriever. I need to go away for about 3 weeks. Instead of hiring a dog walker who walks her 30 minutes a day, I have a friend who has a 12-year-old lab who is very mellow. If my friend agrees to take care of my puppy for me, what is the normal price that you pay for this? I have never done this before, so anyone got any suggestion?

Thanks.

aslan
March 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM
personally if a friend or I look after each others pets for a few days we don't pay each other. We supply the food for the time we're gone and treats. Can't say I would charge a friend.

bluesunshine
March 31st, 2008, 12:05 PM
personally if a friend or I look after each others pets for a few days we don't pay each other. We supply the food for the time we're gone and treats. Can't say I would charge a friend.

oh okay.....but I might need her to take care of my dog for 3 weeks...I would feel better if I pay her a bit....beside, we are not that close..but she is a very nice lady, I haven't asked her, but I hope she will say yes.....her dog is very mellow but mine is a wild one, a handful.....

aslan
March 31st, 2008, 12:12 PM
LOL, i remember it well i have a golden that will be 2yrs in may. psycho puppy. Phone around to bording kennels find out what it would cost and offer her maybe 1/2 what the fee would be.

diandpat
March 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Is your dog going to go live at hers? I think about $15-$20/day is about the going rate around here. We pay more when our dogs are watched but we have the sitter move in here and we have two dogs to feed/walk/care for.

Three weeks???? Is that vacation? If so, sounds like a nice break :D

bluesunshine
March 31st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Is your dog going to go live at hers? I think about $15-$20/day is about the going rate around here. We pay more when our dogs are watched but we have the sitter move in here and we have two dogs to feed/walk/care for.

Three weeks???? Is that vacation? If so, sounds like a nice break :D

Thank you for the advise.....Yes, it's a vacation....:))

I love your goldens! :crazy:

cpietra16
March 31st, 2008, 12:53 PM
I swop with my neightbour...she went away for 6 weeks and tended to her cats...going there 2x a day to feed and play and scoop....she goes to my house and walks my lab every day. Maybe your friend may need you to return the favour that way no money is involved. It worked for me.
I only paid once for someone to look after my lab and cats...I paid him 20.00 a day as well.

SnowDancer
March 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM
I would pay at least 3/4 of the going rate for home boarding of a dog. In Toronto, reputable home boarders charge $35 - 45 a day. It is not cheap - especially when you are going away on vacation. Easily adds up to the price of an APEX air ticket. I pay $40 for home boarding. In an instance of course where you could very easily reciprocate (and would need to) and mind your friend's dog for 3 weeks at your home then that would be different. You also have to consider that your dog is a pup and hers is not - many different care needs involved - walks, etc. Also the total change of her routine to accommodate your puppy.

clm
March 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
A rambunctious 6 month old pup at that. :eek:
I think if I were going away that long, I would want a house sitter in the house anyway, or a house/dog sitter. :laughing: You may want to look into that for a plan B if Plan A doesn't want to dog sit for you.

Cindy

Ford Girl
March 31st, 2008, 04:04 PM
Is it a close friend? My friends and I do this for each other every year's vacation, take turns watching the critters...we do not pay each other cash.

We pay each other and cover costs by:

1. dog sitting their dogs.
2. leave cash for day care and bones
3. provide our own food and treats
4. bring back a little something for your friends, make a basket up and bring it for them when you pick up your dog. make it something nice, don't cheap out cuz they did you a big favor.

If this isn't a close friend, then make sure this person can manage a puppy before you even agree to it, let this person take the pup for the night or weekend ahead of time, some people have no idea how much work is involved. Since your friends dog is 12, it's been a long time since puppyhood...would be a good refresher for them!! LOL!

Do the two dogs get along? Will it be too much for the senior dog?

I would start crate training if you haven't already, it's easier to manage a pup if they are crate trained, this will make life much easier for your friend.

We leave our monster golden with dog loving friends, people who can appreacite the energy and goofyness! :evil: :crazy: :clown: :angel: People who are use to picking up large piles or poop and wiping drool off their couches. :laughing: