Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can I leave my cat home alone for 3 days?

bluesunshine
March 31st, 2008, 11:54 AM
I want some opinions: I have this 10-year-old cat who is very very skittish. She is even afraid of kittens, believe it or not. We need go away for 3 days to another city. Can I leave her home alone for that long with enough water and food? I have a friend who can take her but I figure that if I leave my cat with her my cat will spend the whole time hiding, probably not eating or drinking, beside they have a cat too, so that probably will freak her out too. We did this once when she was 8 years old, I mean left her home alone for 3 days, and she was okay. But now she is 10-year-old and very very close to me -- she literally follows me everywhere I go in the house if possible -- if my 6-month-old hyper golden retriever is in her crate, and she sleeps on my arm every single night.....

What would you do if you were me? Any suggestion or opinion is welcome!

clm
March 31st, 2008, 11:56 AM
A cat left with plenty of dry food and lots of drinking water will be fine for 3 days. A skittish kitty left at home will be much happier. If you can have someone stop in and check on her and your house once a day even better.

Cindy

bluesunshine
March 31st, 2008, 12:03 PM
A cat left with plenty of dry food and lots of drinking water will be fine for 3 days. A skittish kitty left at home will be much happier. If you can have someone stop in and check on her and your house once a day even better.

Cindy

Thank you Cindy...Actually it will be 3 nights and 4 days.....Yes, I am more leaning to leave her home by herself...the only thing is that I am concerned is that how she will feel in an empty big house..I am sorry I can't find someone to check on her...Last time we left her home for 3 days, when we came back, she was okay but we found that she threw up....

BAILEYSMUDGE
March 31st, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'm also going to have to leave my boys for 3 days soon...I'm having a neighbour stop in to check on them each day... I think it's better than putting your cat in foreign surroundings...my boys just turned 3... my only worry is that they don't know when to stop eating.... might ask the neighbour to put food down for them each day... might put pre-measured food in the dish and in the fridge/cupboard so they won't pig out.....

As for money... I won't bother...I'll bring something back when I return. Once, I had my niece stay at my place for 10 days... I left her enough to eat and $100 in cash... she was so happy! Plus she got to play with the kitties.:loser:

bluesunshine
March 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'm also going to have to leave my boys for 3 days soon...I'm having a neighbour stop in to check on them each day... I think it's better than putting your cat in foreign surroundings...my boys just turned 3... my only worry is that they don't know when to stop eating.... might ask the neighbour to put food down for them each day... might put pre-measured food in the dish and in the fridge/cupboard so they won't pig out.....

As for money... I won't bother...I'll bring something back when I return. Once, I had my niece stay at my place for 10 days... I left her enough to eat and $100 in cash... she was so happy! Plus she got to play with the kitties.:loser:

Look at those two cuties of yours! They are lucky 'cuz they got each other and you are lucky you have your neighbour check on them....but mine will be home alone.....in a big house.....We are not that close to our neighbour so I can't ask them....I just feel sorry for my poor old cat when I think of this 'cuz she is soooo close to me........but maybe it's better this way than put her in a new environment....um....let me think.....

BAILEYSMUDGE
March 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Yup... I still think a familiar environment is better than not.... my old cats were left alone too...they lived 19 yrs... but then, of course, once again there were two of them... I always think it's better in pairs... Good Luck.

sugarcatmom
March 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
I agree that leaving her at home in familiar surroundings would be best, but what about hiring a professional pet sitter to come in once a day and at least clean the litter box and put down fresh food? http://www.petsit.com/

Love4himies
March 31st, 2008, 12:50 PM
As long as she has enough water and food and a couple of litter boxes so she doesn't have to go in a dirty one, I think it is much better to leave her alone. Being such a timid cat, she will be so stressed if you took her out of her house.

I would be nice if you could have somebody come in at least once to make sure she still has food and water.

Kashi
March 31st, 2008, 12:53 PM
We've left our cat alone for a few days at a time many times. Never had a problem at all.

Powder
March 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I have 2 cats. 1, Milo, is about 20 pounds/11 years old, diabetic and an overeater. He loves attention and will go home with anyone who feeds him.
I am convinced that when he looks at me he sees a big bag of cat food on legs. He ALWAYS stays at the vet's when we go away overnight. 'Cause he needs an insulin shot twice a day. He loves going there 'cause they give him treats during the day. (I don't). We don't have any reliable friends/family to cat sit. The other, Boogie, about 10 pounds/ 9 years old, is skittish and will always hide under a bed until non residents have left the house. We are going away for 4 days and 3 nights over spring break.
Leaving in the AM and back in the PM. Boogie would much rather stay at home, because there is less stress with the move to the vet, smells, noises etc. He's extra healthy and doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. So no medical dangers for him, if left alone. He picks at his food throughout the day and leaves small 'souvenirs' in the litter box. Unlike Milo, who pee's alot and often, as he drinks alot because of the diabetes. So as Long as I have a clean littler box with fresh litter, Half Gallon of water in a container that has an aquarium filter attached for circulation. Along with a dryfood dispenser, he's good.

FlamesGirl
March 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM
My cats used to get left alone when my family would go on vacation. They were much happier to be left at home than to go elsewhere, especially the nervous one. We left them with a bunch of dry food and lots and lots of water. We arranged for someone to come over every few days to make sure there was still food and water and to clean the litter box. We'd come home to happy (somewhat fatter) cats that were much more affectionate for a few days.

Tundra_Queen
March 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I would be nervous to leave my cats alone by themselves without having someone look in on them. But that is me, I'm a worrier.

Maybe buy one of those food feeders too and leave bowls of food around just in case the feeder stops working or something like that.

I still don't like the idea of not having someone check on the cat though.

Longblades
March 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I don't like to leave mine alone for more than a weekend. They do get lonely so a friend comes in to play with them. I could leave water, food and lots of litter but since friend is coming anyway she replenishes and cleans.

Something to consider is your house insurance. Doesn't it require that someone check your house every 2 or 3 days? That could be a friend who checks on the cat. One of mine is skittish too, and my friend has never seen any more of her than the end of her tail as she streaks to hide. Still, I need to have the house checked; make sure there wasn't a power outage that threw my freezer off, leakage in the basement if it rains etc.