Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's wrong with Roxie?

bethaliz
March 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi guys,

I hope someones up and on. Roxie's been acting a bit funny today and I'm not really sure what to do about it and I have no idea what it could be.

Roxie was bred at the end of January and I am positive she is not pregnant. If she we're she would be due on Wed (62 days from her first breeding). She has had no behaviour changes, she has not gotten pudgy, I can not feel anything, neither can the breeder. At this point, even if there was only one in there you'd think you'd be able to feel it move. I know when cuddles had a singleton you could feel it move at this point. The breeder is responsible for any and all vet care for breeding. As we are both sure she did not take, she did not take Roxie for a vet check. (normally she takes them toward the end to make sure everything is okay, xray's for the few she feels need them etc).

Anyway so today, Roxie has been extremely restless, like she can't ge comfortable. She's been like that since she woke up this morning. Like she's squirming and twisting her self all around. She doesn't seem to be in pain. She's been eating fine. She gets excited to go out and has done all of her business. She's enjoyed a chewy. We did our normal training. Everything else seems to be normal with her. But when she's calm and looking for a place to lay down she starts this restless business.

It was bugging me this morning when I was cleaning my room. I was going to ask my aunt about it, but she seemed to fine, she ate dinner, took her chewy and she went out etc. Then when we sat down to watch a movie after supper, she started it up again. The whole movie she was squirming. Like right now, while I"m typing this she hasn't stopped.

I gave her a complete once over. Trying to see if I could find something that might be bugging her. everything seems fine. I took her temp to be on the safe side, incase I missed something. It's too high for pups (100.1F) but not too high for anything else. I did notice that a couple of nipples looked funny. About 4 of them look enlarged and reddish. I'm not sure what that's about or if the two are connected. They almost look a little like they have carpet burn from all this twisting around. shrug?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas about what it could be? My breeder is at a show and wont be home until tomorrow to ask her. Although I did send her an email and she'll give me a ring when she gets it. Obviously I'm going to keep my eye on her. It doesn't seem like something to rush to the vet over, but if she keeps this up, We'll be in first thing in the morning. I just was hoping that someone had an Idea bout what was going on. Any ideas about what I'm facing? I know you're not vets, but any ideas are welcome. Is there anything that I should be looking for? My aunt thought maybe it's gas, but wouldn't that have resolved its self after having a bowel movement?

Anyway Roxie and I thank you for your help in advance and We'll keep you posted

luckypenny
March 30th, 2008, 10:29 PM
*sigh*

Ok. What is she doing with her mouth/head while she's squirming all over the place?

bethaliz
March 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Just twisting it with her. She's not rubbing her head or eyes or anthing. I'm used to that. I did check her eyes incase it was something like that, but they are clear, alert. They aren't even goopy. She's not rubbing or digging at her ear. :shrug:

luckypenny
March 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Is she repeatedly looking over her back or towards her stomach and/or bum?

hazelrunpack
March 30th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I can think of three possibilities off the top of my head.

1. She's bred.

2. She's having a false pregnancy.

3. She's developing a pyometra.

Regardless, if you're uneasy with her behavior, she really should be evaluated by a vet. Coming to a pro-spay/neuter board for advice about a possibly bred dog is not really a good backup plan. :shrug:

bethaliz
March 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM
No, she doesn't look at her bum or stomach. She just twists. Sometimes she pushes out her front paws and pushes against, say the floor or the back of the couch.

We had an event about 2 weeks ago and she was examined by 3 breeders with a lot of experience (everyone of them with more than 20 years). My breeder was really hoping she did take this time, because this is her last breeding. If she we're pregnant the breeder would have her now and she would have been to the vet for her pre-birthing check/xray(if nessicary). If she had been pregnant she was to be spayed in June. With her not being pregnant, She'll be done in May once I'm done school for the year.

She is not having a false pregnancy, she had one last time, so we know what that's all about. She has had absolutely 0 signs of pregnancy. Other than a couple days off her food, she has not increased/decreased her food intake. She did not have any behaviour changes. She runs and plays and does all the normal dog things that they stop when they're pregnant. She even still jumps off the funature. Her nipples are normally saging from her previous litters, but other than the change today (which I still think is carpet burn) they have not poped or become full with milk. She's thin as normal. There are no pups or false pregnancies.

I know this is a spay/neuter board. She will be spayed, this year. As there are no pups, it will be done in May. It's not my "back up plan" I just thought maybe had some non-breeding related ideas. Like I said, if this keeps up she'll be at the vet first thing. If she really gets bad over night she'll go to the ER vet. Just looking for ideas. That's it

hazelrunpack
March 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I know you know this board is spay/neuter. My point was merely that the members here probably don't have the expertise you need at this point.

If you've ruled out pregnancy and you don't think she's having a false pregnancy, she could still have a pyometra--if it's closed, there would be no discharge, but it could still make her uncomfortable. If that's the case, she needs to see a vet ASAP.

If not a pyometra, if she can't settle, there is something else that seems to be making her uncomfortable. She should still see a vet if her behavior makes you think she's not feeling up to par. :shrug:

luckypenny
March 30th, 2008, 11:02 PM
If she's rubbing herself along the carpet enough to get irritated, sounds like she may be having some type of allergy reaction.

I think a vet visit would be the best idea if this continues. Better safe than sorry is my motto :shrug: .

bethaliz
March 30th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on her. I'm not irresponisble, so if things worsen We'll be off to the vet tonight (I hope not they charge an arm a leg and a few other apendages here, and 90% of the time after they take your money they just tell you to go to your own vet anyway ....grrr). If she's still restless in the morning we'll be the first at the door for the vet.

I'm going to head of to bed and see I can't get her to settle a bit. I'll kep you posted

Love4himies
March 31st, 2008, 06:37 AM
How is your dog doing this morning?

bethaliz
March 31st, 2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for asking. Love. She's had me up all night. She got up and has done her regular routine, she gobbled her breakfast, went out and did her business, but she has not stopped moving. The most she's done is sat there staring at you for a couple mins and then she's off again. I've finally got her lay down and she stays for a min or two and then she's twisting her self around again. It's wierd. I call the vet but they can't get me in until 10:20......So I wait.

Love4himies
March 31st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Keeping my :fingerscr that it is nothing serious.

Glad to hear you are getting her spayed;).

bethaliz
March 31st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks Love. I hope it's nothing serious too. I've had enough drama this year. My mom died in August in a car accident, My grandfather whom I live with died two weeks ago. I don't need anything to happen to my dog, I think that would push me over the edge.

I'm excited to get her spayed too. The puppy thing is great and I enjoyed it and with a few more years knowledge and A job with good cash flow, I'd like to show and perhaps breed. It's years away, but But she's getting to old for this. And having gone back to school it's a pain trying to watcher for seasons and breeding. ug.....I was so happy when the breeder told me, whether or not she takes this time you can spay her. Such a relief. The only down fall is I did want a Roxie puppy. But in the words of a very wise woman I know..........I have the real Roxie puppy...lol!

I'll let you know what happens at the vet.

Frenchy
March 31st, 2008, 11:12 AM
I know you know this board is spay/neuter.

She clearly showed in the past that she didn't care about that !!!

Get the dog to a vet will you !

bethaliz
March 31st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Frenchy - Get a life will you. Being mean isn't helpful. And I did take my dog to the vet. Did you even read the whole thread to see that I had an appointment this morning??? Aparently not.

FOr those that have been helpful and kind, here is an update....

The vet is concerned about either and infection or back/spinal issues. I had to leave her at the vet for some tests. She had an xray, she is not pregnant for sure. Which we already knew. And the vet doesn't think it has anything to do with being bred. So again, as is my preferance she will be fixed in May.

However, she does think there is something seriously wrong. When I know more I"ll let you know. Its already cost $350.00 and she still needs more tests. The breeder will be home today so I can get some help from her.

For those that care. Thank you.

Frenchy
March 31st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Frenchy - Get a life will you. .

But I do have one see , I rescue dogs .....

Love4himies
April 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
The vet is concerned about either and infection or back/spinal issues. I had to leave her at the vet for some tests. She had an xray, she is not pregnant for sure. Which we already knew. And the vet doesn't think it has anything to do with being bred. So again, as is my preferance she will be fixed in May.

However, she does think there is something seriously wrong. When I know more I"ll let you know. Its already cost $350.00 and she still needs more tests. The breeder will be home today so I can get some help from her.

For those that care. Thank you.

Keeping my :fingerscr, that it is easily cured.

mona_b
April 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM
I hope Roxie will be fine.

On another note.Every time you come on here you seem to ask questions about heats/breeding and whatnot....You have a so called mentor.And we have told you to talk to her.And I have also told you I don't know of ANY ethical breeder who drops their dogs off at someone elses house,friend or not.This makes absalutely no sense at all.Any ethical breeder would leave their dog with another ethical breeder as they are the PROS.And you are still learning as you have said before.

As for Frenchy being mean.Far from it.