Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tug O War!!

keelys
March 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I Was Reading Treats, play, love by Patricia Gail burnham and she has a bit on Training your dog to be a Rag dog and telling my Friend about it and she said she doesnt agree with playing these kind of games with your dogs and said it will make them aggressive. is this True???

Byrd
March 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Tug of war does not make your dog aggressive.

In fact, you can use it to establish alpha, don't let the dog win, take the toy away whenever you feel like it, be in charge.

luckypenny
March 30th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Byrd's right, tug of war doesn't make a dog aggressive. However, our behaviorists have always advised not to play tug with a dog who is aggressive or has aggressive tendencies, especially owner aggression.

Byrd
March 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The key is you have to win!!! In the wild dogs establish their dominance over who tugs at the meat the hardest (other than the alpha of course), whoever wins gets the prize, therefore gets to eat. If you play tug, occasionally take the tug away, don't say anything, just take it away, then pull it out to play more. Only play it when you want to, don't let the dog decide when it's play time.

I play flyball, tugging is crucial in the sport, my dog has been playing tug since I got her as a very young pup, she doesn't have a vicious bone in her body.