Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spaying

melissa88
June 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM
I am thinking about getting a female 8month old boxer. I have a 14wk old male boxer and a 15yr old mix male dog. I plan on getting the boxers fixed but the mix won't be. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a female? I'm not sure how the old male will react. He has never humped or do anything sexual with anything or animal. I was also wondering if the female will still get her period if she is fixed?

Lucky Rescue
June 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
A female would definitely be the best choice, since you already have a male boxer and you should get her spayed right away, as 8 months old is often when dogs go into their first heat.

No, dogs don't bleed when they are spayed, as the uterus and ovaries are all removed.
I wouldn't worry about your old male, if the female boxer never goes into heat.

A 14 week old puppy and an 8 month old puppy are going to be a big job for you to handle and train. Do you have the time to housetrain and obed. train the puppy, obedience train the older puppy, and give enough exercise and attention to all 3 dogs?

Just thinking about it makes me tired. :p

sammiec
June 23rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
I plan on getting the boxers fixed but the mix won't be.

Why? All your pets should be spayed or neutred!!!

cutelittlemako
June 23rd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Female boxers are more dominant than male boxers though. When I got Mako I was thinking of getting a female because all other dogs my dog would be in frequent contact with were males. And the breeder told me that female boxers are more dominant while the males are more submissive. I also asked other boxer owners and they have told me the same.

Luba
June 23rd, 2004, 12:00 PM
So why aren't u fixing the mixed breed?

sammiec
June 23rd, 2004, 12:51 PM
Apparently Melissa doesn't want to fix the mix breed because he's old and she feels that there is not reason that he should be fixed - that's what she told me in the PM that she sent in all caps. I didn't think it was an offending question, apparently is though.... :confused:

cutelittlemako
June 23rd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Sometimes vets don't want to anestize (having trouble with this word) very old dogs because they might not make it. A friend of mine got a 13 year old rescue and the vet did not want to neuter him because of the dog's state, he might not have made it through the operation. I don't know if this is common, or even acceptable - but I guess it happens. But I guess if she chose not to get him fixed then it's not the same thing.

sammiec
June 23rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
That's fine, but I didn't get from her post that it was for the health and safety of the dog. She said that she didn't want to so I asked why, that's all!! :o

MBRA518
June 23rd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Apparently Melissa doesn't want to fix the mix breed because he's old and she feels that there is not reason that he should be fixed - that's what she told me in the PM that she sent in all caps. I didn't think it was an offending question, apparently is though.... :confused:

Well I suppose as long as the dog is not aggressive and the owner is responsible enough to make sure the dog does not breed then it's ok. I mean sure it takes more responsibility on the owners part, but as long as she is willing to do that I'm sure it's fine. The dog is rather old to be going through something like that now anyway - the older the dog is the higher the risks for any surgery. I know there are risks of cancer in un-neutered dogs - but it is how they are meant to be naturally so how high could that risk really be? (I am actually asking here - if any one knows... man I hate the internet for trying to convey things :rolleyes: )

Lucky Rescue
June 23rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
I really see no reason to neuter a 15 yr old dog. The only benefit it would have is to keep him from impregnating females, and I doubt Melissa will let that happen.:)