Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diarrhea

Harley's_Mom
March 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Tova's had diarrhea for about 5 days now. She's eating and drinking well, has lots of energy and seems to be in good spirits. We had her to the vet on Friday, she was dewormed, vaccinated, given a thorough going over and pronounced to be in good health. She did have an allergic reaction to the Lepto vaccine on Friday night. The vet gave her a shot of Benadryl and a steroid. Tova has recovered from that but she still has diarrhea. We've also been giving her 2 tsp of Pepto Bismal 3 times a day. Her food is Wellness puppy food dry. It's been suggested to us that she may have an upset system due to the stress of a new home( we picked her up last weekend). Any suggestions?

Winston
March 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I always use pumpkin...pure pumpkin not the pie filling type...few spoon fulls on the food for a couple days...works like a charm! Some may give plain white rice to help bind her up a bit..how about some yogurt as well??

Cindy

Harley's_Mom
March 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
We're going to try the plain white rice tomorrow. I've heard a lot about the pumpkin as well. You just mix it in with dog food? I've heard a lot about yogurt too. What exactly does the yogurt do? Thanks for your help, we need all we can get right now.

bobsdad
April 1st, 2008, 03:37 PM
You are talking to the Dog Diarrhea expert! My Bob has gone for world records in projectile diarrhea.

1. Skip a feeding
2. Next feeding is mostly Brown rice with some added protein (has fiber but I still rather give brown then white)
3. Pumpkin (fresh is good but baby food will do also)
if sh1t hits the fan (pun intended)
4. Half a tablet of imodium

This is a tried and tested technique I use with Bob. He's got meat allergies and he's a sneaky rascal. Somehow he always finds meat snacks or sympathetic fools who think he's cute and needs a piece of steak.

Once my mother gave him 3 pounds of burger meat in one shot. The idiot ate it and had 5 days of the most enjoyable explosive diarrhea known to man. At one point he was standing there looking at me and POW his butt exploded against the wall...didn't even curl up or anything.

The joys of diarrhea

NOTE: Make sure to keep him hydrated. He has to drink twice as much as he normally does.

SnowDancer
April 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Is she too young for Hill's canned I/D food? I always keep 2 cans on hand for emergency purposes - fortunately haven't had to use them since Dec. 2004 (I replaced them with "current" dates). This worked for my Eskie and for other dogs as well who had a bug that was going around. We just got home from his 4th year physical - hopefully he won't have a reaction to his shots - this year it was everything, except KC which we had done in Jan. Hope your pup feels better soon.

TKW
April 1st, 2008, 04:10 PM
You are talking to the Dog Diarrhea expert! My Bob has gone for world records in projectile diarrhea.

[[/B]

Bobsdad, you're funny!:laughing:

Not to be outdone, when it come to diarrhea, my dog is way up there with your Bob. He has too many episode now that he'd learn to wake me up in the middle of the night to ask to go out.

I agree mostly you said but not so sure about the baby food part. It may contain something not suitable for canine consumption. We always stock up a can of puree pumkin in our pantry for the rainy days. But if he didn't stop after a day or so, a vet visit is in order.

As Tova already had 5 days of diarrhea, and it seemed starting as a reaction to shots. He should have get the vet informed. He might have picked up a stomach bug while his immunue system was compromised by the shot.

Harley's_Mom
April 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
I was waiting for confirmation, but it looks like it's done. 1.5 days of solid poot to scoop!!!! It's taken awhile, but life is getting better. We'll see what happens over the next few days as I start to add her puppy food to the rice and chicken. I gotta say too, that it suprised me how much she likes yogurt. I've read that some people feed it on a regular basis... what's the scoop with that? How much as so on...
Thanks for all the ideas and support!!
Harley's Dad