Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear Problem.

PeiLuver
March 30th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Does anyone have a "quick-fix" for a build up in the ear canal. Shar-Peis do have tiny narrow ear canals which makes for a haven for yeast infections. Apart from a full anesthetic to have the ears flushed, I have been using a mix of Malaseb (Shampoo) and water regularly to keep Geishas ears clean, but this time I am not having much success. As a last resort I will have to take her to have the full ear flush but it distresses her so much (and me :cry:).
Any ideas? :shrug:

otter
March 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
This is just a shot in the dark, I don't have any experience with this, but would it help if the cleaning solution was a bit warm (tepid) to help break up the dirt?

Good luck :goodvibes:

Tommysmom
March 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Our pup used to have recurrent problems with yeasty ears. Our vet gave us a solution called Oticalm to use to clean them up, it works like a charm. We haven't had a problem since we started giving Tommy coconut oil though - that stuff is amazing at getting rid of yeast issues, if you search coconut oil on here you'll see a few threads about it.

PeiLuver
March 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Otter, yes I do warm the solution.

Tommysmom - I think I have heard of Octicalm, will check our local vet to see if it is available. A lot of products may not be available in Australia, but, its worth a look.

Thanks both of you.

Winston
March 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
My boy used to get some nasty ear infections...mostly because of the droopy ears. The vet prescibed Surolan and it is a squeeze type bottle.. It lasted me awhile and worked very well. Usually I could tell because the ears become a little stinkier when he would start to get an infection...It was really simple to use as well...just squeeze into the ear...give them a nice massage and then clean out with a tissue on your finger..It was amazing what would come out! Not sure if this will work the same if he has small ear canals?

Cindy

PeiLuver
March 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I was able to get the OTICLEAN so will give that a try.