Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Kiska's eye

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM
She looks much better this morning. I did notice when she's sleepy, it closes more than the other, but she opens it fully now and I don't see the third eye film like yesterday. I flushed it out again this morning with some saline solution, just to make sure if there's anything in there it gets out. I'll keep watch of it for the next few days. Hopefully she'll be 100% soon.

I wanted to thank all of you for your support. I know things will get better. I've decided to put the pet insurance on hold for a while.

I figured, even if I had to take them in for something, I'd still have to pay for treatment out of my own pocket and then send a claim. What I'll do is cancel what they have and look around for something that might be a little better and get Czarina on it first since she's the only one outside. At least having only one with insurance will take some of the financial burden off of me for a while.

krdahmer
March 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Glad to hear her eye looks better! And isn't insurance for 4 pretty expensive? I looked into it for my 6, and it was ridiculous. So we just pay for things as they come up. I'm lucky, in that hubby's work is finally picking up, so we may be able to get out of this mess we're in by the summer.... I hope. :fingerscr All it takes is some fancy budgeting! :o

I would like to eventually have one credit card only for cat emergencies, like we do for the truck. But until we get out of the other debt we have, it's too dangerous to have another sitting around, we'd be too tempted to use it. Once we are even keel I will do it though. I just think that everyone who doesn't always have loose cash sitting in their accounts should have something like that for those just in case moments... even if you just get one of those cash cards and load it up and set it aside. That way you don't have to fret about money when you're worried about your pet in an emergency. There isn't a question well 'can I afford to take them in?'...

Whoops...:offtopic: Sorry bout that.... anyhow I am really glad Kiska's eye is ok!:thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Glad to hear her eye looks better! And isn't insurance for 4 pretty expensive? I looked into it for my 6, and it was ridiculous. So we just pay for things as they come up. I'm lucky, in that hubby's work is finally picking up, so we may be able to get out of this mess we're in by the summer.... I hope. :fingerscr All it takes is some fancy budgeting! :o

I would like to eventually have one credit card only for cat emergencies, like we do for the truck. But until we get out of the other debt we have, it's too dangerous to have another sitting around, we'd be too tempted to use it. Once we are even keel I will do it though. I just think that everyone who doesn't always have loose cash sitting in their accounts should have something like that for those just in case moments... even if you just get one of those cash cards and load it up and set it aside. That way you don't have to fret about money when you're worried about your pet in an emergency. There isn't a question well 'can I afford to take them in?'...

Whoops...:offtopic: Sorry bout that.... anyhow I am really glad Kiska's eye is ok!:thumbs up

I've got all 5 of them on insurance. It's about $65 a month, which isn't incredibly expensive, but right now it's killing me. Having just Czarina on it will only cost me about $13 a month.

I've also got a card that I used just for them, but I've been having such a hard financial time I haven't been able to pay it down. It's not a high limit card, $300, so really you take 2 of them in for a check up and buy food and stuff and it adds up fast.

Once I get past this toxic time I'm going to get that balance down so I can have at least that to help me when I need it.

:offtopic:OH! How did the litter box change go?

krdahmer
March 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I just did it yesturday actually. It was ok, there were holes in each liner and that made quite a stinky mess! I think I'll do without the liner, it was easier to take the litter out, but because I go so long between big clean outs, there is more of a chance of rippage. (I think I was the one who ripped it actually with the metal scoop, they weren't claw marks, but big tears.) It was a great idea though, and would prob work great if I cleaned them out every two weeks or so, but going 1.5-2 months between because of the amount of litter involved, it doesn't really work here.

I bought the multicat swheat, so I'll see if that helps.

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Oh bummer. I'd hoped it would work for you, but maybe the metal scoop did it. I use a plastic one, and I've also started putting one of those puppy training pads too. I hope the Swheat Scoop multi helps.

krdahmer
March 30th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Ya I mean it did work for the most part... I'm just a wuss and couldn't stand the pee smell when I lifted them out! :yuck::rolleyes: I'd rather scrape the non-smelly cemented litter than still runny stinky pee! The puppy pad is a good idea though....hm... maybe if this multicat clumps harder, I might give it a go again next month with the liner.:shrug:

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I think the puppy pad will help. You can also get the extra heavy duty one too if you decide to give it another shot.

Where do you keep your box in the basement? I've got to clean mine every 2 weeks because I've pretty much got them more in the open. I keep one in my bathroom and one under the staircase.

I wish I had some kind of storage room or something. I saw a HUGE box at Petsmart. I wish I had somewhere to put it where nobody could see it.

krdahmer
March 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I think I posted this before... but the area is actually on the storage/workbench side of the basement on the other side of my laundry table. I usually judge by smell when it needs a big clean out(or when it gets too dusty). I scoop every night before I do the dishes... it's kind of my bedtime routine. Scoop, wash, The Daily Show and bedtime. ;)

I still think the litter we use is amazing. I can't believe how far I can stretch it! Of course my dad still thinks I'm nuts for spending $34 a bag! But they don't complain anymore when they come to scoop for me when I'm away! (they told me the corn litter stunk to high heaven... and aren't affraid to tell me when the house stinks either... I appreciate that, as my nose doesn't always work so great) And it's funny but I actually think the cats smell better too... some of those clay litters leave a weird stink on the cats, and I like to snuggle them right to my face! :rolleyes::o

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Oh man, the green eyes of envy coming at you. I wish I had a space to have something like that for them. Since I no longer have the internet stuff under the stairs I'm going to try and get them some kind of cabinet open in the back. Something that if you look at it from the living room it looks like a cabinet, but you can go around and it's open. If I can find something like that, I can get them that big box. Yours are nice and roomy.

I had to buy this cheap corn stuff when I went to the market. they didn't have any Swheat Scoop, which they usually have, and this stuff was a few dollars cheaper. And man does it smell terrible, and they haven't even used it that much! It smelled when I poured it out new!

If I managed to get my bonus tomorrow, I'm getting them the SS on my way home. I just changed the litter so I can easily just pour it out and put in the new one. I don't know what kind of sense of smell the people who develop that corn stuff has. This is the second corn litter I've used and they both haev smelled terrible!:yuck:

loopoo
March 31st, 2008, 10:24 PM
must have missed this i am :sleepy: so glad to hear kiskas eye is doing better :)

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 07:41 AM
She was squinting again with it this morning. I'm going to have to keep flushing it twice a day with the saline until I can get her to the vet.:sad:

clm
April 1st, 2008, 08:07 AM
Bentley had something in his eye for the better part of 2 months I would say. (The vet wasn't positive there was something in there, but we both thought that there was). I had drops from the vet off and on for 3 prescriptions worth. I hate messing with eyes. I just seem to think that mucking around with them irritates them more.
Anyway, after the last round of drops I decided to stop putting stuff in there for a bit. I would put a warm compress on his eye for a minute or 2 every morning, give him a couple of kids bendryl (the vet suggested the benedry while we were using the drops) before I went to work to stop it from itching and then another warm compress before bed at night. Did that for a few weeks.
He's been fine for a couple of weeks now. No more squinting or redness.

Cindy

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM
I'll try the warm compress first. My vet is out of town, but I'm expecting her call tomorrow, with the results of Czarina's wellness exam, I'll ask her about the bendryl. How do you give that? You said the kids type, but do you just crush it in the food?

I'm with you, I get nervous when it comes to the eye. I don't want her to be uncomfortable, but I want to help her and not make it worse.

clm
April 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
The vet suggested the kids allergy pill form so the dog would chew it. He got 2 of them in the morning. It's grape flavored and no problem getting Bentley to take it, he loved them, chewed them up with no hassle. A cat is going to be a different story for sure. I can't see a cat loving it unless it's cheese flavoured maybe :laughing:
Check with your vet first on the benedryl though, I have no idea if it's safe for cats although someone here might know.
The warm compress he seemed to like too. He's such an easy pup to treat.

I know what a worry it is with their eyes. I hope she's better soon.

Cindy

phoozles
April 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
Good call with the warm compress - I had an eye problem where it was inflammed, etc., and my eye doctor suggested a warm, wet compress for about 5 minutes 3 times a day - it was gone after a couple of days.. Could work the same with your kitty.. :shrug:

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM
On my way home I'll stop by the drug store. I'm going to get one of those baby wash clothes, since they are soft and I'll put a warm compress on her eye. Hopefully she'll sit still while I've got it on her. I just hate seeing her like that.

rainbow
April 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Poor Kiska. :grouphug: I hope the saline rinse works. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks. Me too. When I get home I'll look at her eye and rinse it out again and try to sit with her and get a warm compress on her eye for a few minutes.

I might have a buyer for my old PC. If I can sell it by this weekend, I'll have some extra money and I'll just take her in and have the vet look at it.

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM
I got home and her eye looks fine. It's like the other night, it was fine but then in the morning it was squinty. Man, I really really wish they could talk.