Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Petfinder - Animal Planet

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I've only seen this program 3 times, and all three times the hosts have placed a pet in a home only to have to come back and retrieve the pet.

The excuses these people use is incredible. "We don't have time," "The kids don't walk the dog like they promised," "It's just not working out."

The people that come on these shows, have no shame. They look like total flakes.

otter
March 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
But good to reinforce to people that they need to give SERIOUS thought to getting a pet. I hope they reinforce how traumatic it is to a pet to have to rehome them again and again because people don't THINK about what having a pet needs.

Doesn't make it sound like Petfinder is doing a very good job in placing the pets either :shrug:

I have to admit i've never seen the show

dustybird
March 30th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I have never seen the show but yes those types of excuses are sooo rediculous. I think the one that bugs me the most is "the kids aren't taking care of it like they promissed(one kid excuse version of many)". How do some parents really expect the kids to take care of the pet when their kids still need their parents to take care of them. I had all sorts of pets growing up that were "mine" and yes I was suppose to take care of them, but my parents new they were responsible. They always made sure I did my job and everyday checked on the critters. I was one of the good ones but if I hadn't my parents wouldn't have gotter rid of the pet either, they would have just taken over and I wouldn't have been allowed to have any other pets until I could prove to them I deserved the privlege of having a pet. I also would have lost other privleges as well.

Sorry a little off topic, it's great that parents want to get pets for their children but many years ago when I sadly worked in a pet store the parents that came in there just drove me nutts. " I want a pet that will sit on their lap and cuddle for hours, they can take care of and I don't have to bother with", well then you need to get them some stuffed animals...they didn't like that response.

It does sound like the show isn't fully educating the prospective owners on all that is involved, in pet ownership.

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Otter - that's the thing, they really didn't reinforce that whole, "think about it" idea. The good thing is, they did show at the end the pets they showed found homes, but it was an after thought.

Dustybird - Kids have to learn responsibility from the parents. The parents need to check and see if if the kids are doing their part. I can understand it might be hard for a small child to learn this, but the kids on this show were big kids, teenagers. The excuses were they'd get home from soccer or basketball so tired they didn't want to walk the dog. Then there's the mom of course, who stays at home. Now this is a woman who doesn't work, who has teenage kids so what is she so busy doing all day? Yet she used the excuse SHE had no time. :frustrated: It's no wonder her kids didn't pay attention to the dog.