Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Geisha HATES Bathtime.

PeiLuver
March 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
We go through this every time Geisha has to have a bath. She is terrified of it and trembles as soon as she hears the water running. I think it goes back to something that happened to her before we became the proud parents, she was badly neglected & had taken some awful treatment. We got her when she was 13 months old.

Is that water running?? I'm out of here!!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/bjsut/2008_0227Time0029.jpg

Noooooooo not the bath.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/bjsut/2008_0227Time0032.jpg

Did you get the left nostril??
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/bjsut/2008_0227Time0033.jpg

happycats
March 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Awwwww Geisha's such a pretty girl!! that cute pink nose :lovestruck:

SolaMio
March 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
She is so beautiful!! She's a shar-pei, right?

How on earth could someone mistreat her, especially as a little pup, that makes me sick to my stomach.

She looks so healthy and happy now (despite the bath fear :laughing:)

14+kitties
March 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Awww Geisha, it's ok. I have a toy who hates baths too. Stick with it. It gets better. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Aw, Geisha! Hazel's Pack knows exactly how you feel! They're English Setters, not known for their love of water! :dog:

But it makes you sooooooo beautiful!! :thumbs up

helloapollo
March 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
i have a great dane pup who hated all forms of water. i couldn't get him to drink from his water bucket, bowl...nothing. baths were like pulling teeth :wall:and then i remebered he's going to get bigger.

we overcame this by washing him on the concrete with a showerhead hose fitting. first, we sat him down and sort of kneeled behind him as if we were going to hug him. we would show the dog the gentle water running in front of it and continue to praise it. when the dog had calmed down a bit we let the water run towards his feet. we gradually increased the times we would do this but we didn't want to stress him for too long each time. eventually we could proceed with wetting his front feet to his chest. now he chases the pouring water from the hose as i hold it. his health had increased and i can wash him on a lead.:thumbs up
the main reason i believe this problem was overcome was by reducing his feeling of being contained or drowning... as a bath tub can create.
remember when teaching a pup: praise is very but patience is virtue.

good luck with her, she is gorgeous.

chico2
March 30th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Awww,she's adorable,looks velvety soft and that big cuddly face,just made for lovin:lovestruck:

KimandAutumn
March 30th, 2008, 10:29 AM
She is so pretty. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I'm sorry to hear she was mistreated before you got her. But I'm very happy she's in a loving home, even though she's forced to take baths:laughing:

I've got cats I bath once a month because of allergies (mine not theirs) and believe me, I know how tough bath time can be when your pet is uncooperative. But it gets better. Mine fuss at first but eventually just sit and let me do what i need to do for them.

rainbow
April 1st, 2008, 04:05 AM
Hee hee....I love the look on her face in the last pic. :D

PeiLuver
April 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM
:laughing: I love that one too. The silly thing is, even tho we have to go through the "ritual" every bath time, when she gets in, she seems to enjoy it. I have tried every which way to try to get through to her that its not going to hurt, but still she trembles as soon as she hears the water running. :shrug: