Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whew - what a time we've had!

JanM
March 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Bobby went to an emergency appointment yesterday - he had yet another reaction, presumably to his food. We've been through just about every kind of food known to man and dog and it was looking like we had a winning combination - cooked yams and cooked meat - but, not to be. We were up all Thursday night - he had to go out every hour and half!

He is now on a hypoallergenic food and we are waiting for test results for pancreas function and a blood panel. Hopefully the results will be ready on Monday.

At least his diarrhea has stopped! Last night we all slept from 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm when I woke both Amber and Bobby to go outside then we all slept again until 7:15 this morning..

Keep your fingers and paws crossed for good results for Bobby please :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
March 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Bobby, I hope you get the results you are looking for :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
March 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Poor Bobby! :fingerscr for normal test results and that his intestinal issues are short-lived. :sick:

Frenchy
March 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm so sorry JanM :sad: did he have diarya ? Have you tried non grain kibble ? Probiotics ?

Will keep all our paws crossed here for Bobby's results. :fingerscr

clm
March 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Poor puppy and poor you! Especially when you thought you had finally got his food right. I hope the vet has some answers for you soon so you can get poor Bobby sorted out.

Cindy

russte
March 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
100% pumpkin. That should slow the soft soft poopies!:sick:russte

JanM
March 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm so sorry JanM :sad: did he have diarya ? Have you tried non grain kibble ? Probiotics ?

Will keep all our paws crossed here for Bobby's results. :fingerscr

Hi Frenchy - yes, I've tried no grain kibble - he can't handle it. I've tried - raw - no go, I've tried just about every kind of kibble available - nope. I went to cooked brown rice, raw veggies and cooked meat - that lasted a few months - then cooked yams and cooked meat - that lasted a month. I was at my wit's end - so now its the hypoallergenic stuff. Yes, I've had him on probiotics - tried them for a month - saw no change so stopped. He is now on a different kind of probiotic.

This past month has been very, very difficult for all of us! Bobby could only handle a 10 minute walk in the afternoon and he would just give out.

so - yes, fingers and paws crossed for Bobby are good things!

Frenchy
March 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Bobby could only handle a 10 minute walk in the afternoon and he would just give out.

:sad: I didn't know :sad: I sure hope your vet finds out what's wrong :pray:

14+kitties
March 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Add my :pray::fingerscr:goodvibes: to the list for Bobby. Hope you find something soon.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for good test results!

We had a dog that had IBD--the symptoms sound very similar....and the timing is right--every couple of months, he'd develop a sensitivity to whatever he was eating. Has Bobby been tested for inflammatory bowel disease?

I hope they can figure this out for you and Bobby! :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
March 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr for Bobby

chico2
March 30th, 2008, 06:49 AM
So sorry about Bobby,it must be incredibly frustrating and upsetting:sad:
:fingerscrthat you'll get some answers and a solution:fingerscr:goodvibes:

Love4himies
March 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Keeping 2 :fingerscr and 12 :pawprint: crossed for Bobby! I was thinking the same thing, Hazel, sounds like it could be an IBD.

JanM
March 30th, 2008, 09:05 AM
100% pumpkin. That should slow the soft soft poopies!:sick:russte

Yup - tried the pumpkin - it's worked very well in the past but this time it didn't work at all.

JanM
March 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for good test results!

We had a dog that had IBD--the symptoms sound very similar....and the timing is right--every couple of months, he'd develop a sensitivity to whatever he was eating. Has Bobby been tested for inflammatory bowel disease?

How did you handle the IBD? I'm not sure the vet is or has checked for that but when she calls on Monday I will definitely ask her about it. Thanks for the tip!

loopoo
March 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
wow i hope bobby finds what he needs to help him out poor guy... please let us know what the vet has said..

JanM
March 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
wow i hope bobby finds what he needs to help him out poor guy... please let us know what the vet has said..

The vet was supposed to call today so I waited 'til after supper thinking they might make their calls after the "regular" work day - waited too long! I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure - and yes, I will post when I know.

Thank you, everyone, for caring and sharing!

hazelrunpack
March 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
How did you handle the IBD? I'm not sure the vet is or has checked for that but when she calls on Monday I will definitely ask her about it. Thanks for the tip!

After an initial course of prednisone to knock back the inflammation, we put him on those yucky prescription hypoallergenic foods...I think we used Purina HA and Hills Z/D (one had no flavor, the other too much--but he'd eat a mix of the two). That was a long time ago--they may have other things available. The ingredients were awful, but they hydrolyzed the proteins into little bits that were able to slip through his digestive system without being recognized as protein--hence he didn't develop a sensitivity to them. :thumbs up

It worked. We never were able to get him up to the 70 pounds he should have been, but at least he never dropped below 55 again after we started the new food.

But this is all moot--I guess there are at least 4 types of IBD--Evan's was mediated by eosinophils. There may be other diets better suited to the other types of IBD. :shrug: So if Bobby does have IBD, you may have other options open to you.

:fingerscr for good results on the tests and a definitive diagnosis! :goodvibes:

rainbow
March 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM
I just saw this thread now. :o So sorry to hear about Bobby. :grouphug: Have you tried slippery elm bark? I hope you get good test results for him tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Ford Girl
April 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hey Jan, I just saw this thread too, so sorry Bobby's having a hard time!! :sad: Do you have an update?

Give your fur-babies lots of kisses from me and my critters!! :angel:

bobsdad
April 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
I know you're pain, my Bob is a vegetarian. Went through every kibble I could find, from the $20 bags to the $140 bags. Tried the home cooking and that didn't go well either. Finally got a purely vegetarian dog food that did the trick. Have you tried vegetarian dog food?

They normally say that a dog is allergic to a type of protein found in a type of meat. Bob is allergic to Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork, Horse and pretty much everything else. Meat goes in EXPLOSIVE diarrhea comes out.

There is also a VEGAN dog food, give that a try also. Hypoallergenic dog foods didn't work with bob, we still had record projectiles from him.

JanM
April 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
I know you're pain, my Bob is a vegetarian. Went through every kibble I could find, from the $20 bags to the $140 bags. Tried the home cooking and that didn't go well either. Finally got a purely vegetarian dog food that did the trick. Have you tried vegetarian dog food?

They normally say that a dog is allergic to a type of protein found in a type of meat. Bob is allergic to Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork, Horse and pretty much everything else. Meat goes in EXPLOSIVE diarrhea comes out.

There is also a VEGAN dog food, give that a try also. Hypoallergenic dog foods didn't work with bob, we still had record projectiles from him.

Wow - your story sounds much like mine! I will certainly keep this in mind because I never know how long it will be on a new food before Bobby reacts to it - could be a month, a week or 2 or more months.

I still haven't heart from the Vet with his test results - I've called them twice and have been waiting all day! This is the frustrating part - waiting.

Bobby is showing improvement though - he and Amber played in the yard this evening for about 30 minutes - running and wrestling - something he hasn't done for a very, very long time!

hazelrunpack
April 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
That's pretty stinky of them to keep you hanging! :frustrated: Do you think the results are just not back yet, or do you think they've just been extremely busy? :shrug:

chico2
April 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Jan,great to read Bobby is showing improvement:thumbs up
Shame on your vet though keeping you waiting:frustrated:

JanM
April 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
That's pretty stinky of them to keep you hanging! :frustrated: Do you think the results are just not back yet, or do you think they've just been extremely busy? :shrug:

I know the results are there - once when I phoned the receptionist said they had arrived and the doc would be calling me. And yes, it is pretty stinky - it may be that there's no urgent reason to get the results to me - I just don't know!

I phoned again at 7:30 this morning and left a message with their answering service - just in case the receptionist hadn't passed on my messages but nothing yet. I do know they are very busy - they have a small and large animal practice BUT ...

Frenchy
April 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Once I called and couldn't get the results ( I think it was for Sam's biopsy) so I jumped in my car and went there , they had no choice but to answer me asap :)

Is it far from your place ? How can they let you wait this way .... maybe because it's a good news and feel it can wait ? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

JanM
April 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Jan,great to read Bobby is showing improvement:thumbs up
Shame on your vet though keeping you waiting:frustrated:

YUP - I agree! Waiting is just about the worst! Bobby was pretty good on our morning outing this morning but I've found that his energy level doesn't last - he is pretty good for an hour, maybe an hour and a half after eating then he slows down again. Yesterday afternoon he could only go for a 5 minute walk before he slowed so much that I brought him home.

It was after supper that he and Amber played so nicely yesterday so we'll see what today brings.

JanM
April 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Well, Bobby's test results are in - and, other than a Low Normal for Thyroid, the vet says everything is absolutely normal. She figures it is only a food allergy. She did mention that his fecal samples were full of clostrydium - I told her the clinic staff had told me it was cryptosporidium - very different!

Anyway, she suggested his low energy and inability to do an afternoon walk might be behavioural (lazy) rather than physical so today I forced him to do the whole afternoon walk - he wasn't happy and was very, very slow - I didn't make him go fast at all. When we got home, he just sank down on the deck and didn't even get up to come in the house when I went in. That tells me it isn't behaviour. So, he goes back on the 11th (after his antibiotics are finished) to have his heart checked out more thoroughly.

Bobby has shown improvement - the diarrhea has stopped and he does play with Amber a couple of times a day so that's more than what we had before! I sure won't be forcing him on any more walks though..

Ford Girl
April 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I agree Jan, he's a golden for Pete's sake...if he wanted to walk he'd let you know...and he's not old, and even lazy goldens have energy!! :laughing: :angel:

You know when they are off, not themselves...I think most owners can tell the slightest "off" behavior...and even more so in high energy breeds...

Have you done allergy tests before?

This has been ongoing for awhile eh? Its one of those frustrating mystery illnesses...tests, theories, more tests...is it food, environmental...behavioral...and then treatment options...:shrug: :frustrated: Very frustrating.

:grouphug::dog::grouphug: (That's Bobby in the middle:))

Frenchy
April 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
ah JanM, I'm happy about the results but it doesn't really answer the question ... I hope you get one soon. 3 years old and not wanting to go for walks ... something is up. :confused:

hazelrunpack
April 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Did they put him on metronidazole for the clostridium? Maybe it will just take a few days for him to get his energy back. :fingerscr

JanM
April 3rd, 2008, 01:38 AM
His antibiotic for the Clostridium is Tylocine - 200mg. He gets two capsules every meal so he gets four capsules a day.

His hypoallergenic food is Purina - I read the ingredients and YUK - but if that's what he has to have, so be it. There's no meat protein in it - corn and lots of soy. I'm going to check around for other hypoallergenic foods that might have some better ingredients - I'll be checking out the vegan dog foods too.

When I'm getting ready for the afternoon walk, Bobby is like velcro - I can't move that he isn't right in front of me so he wants to go but his body just doesn't cooperate.

Hopefully we'll get this sorted out soon!

growler~GateKeeper
April 3rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Some info on Clostridium:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2239&S=1&SourceID=42

Some info on Hypothyroidism:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=461

You said low normal, do you have a copy of the results? Did they tell you what the number was & what the normal reference range for that laboratory is?

All the blood/urine values fluctuate throughout the day & Hypothyroidism can cause lethargy among other things, so I would have Bobby retested in 6 months unless your vet wants to retest sooner or is testing for something else. :2cents:

:goodvibes: for Bobby

rainbow
April 3rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Hopefully Bobby will start feeling better after he's been on the Tylosine for a few days. :fingerscr :goodvibes: