Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kiska'a eye has something wrong with it.

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know what's wrong. She was find this morning, and now she's barely opening her right eye. I can see the third eye slightly showing. I put some drops I had from when I took Vlad in not long ago for his eyes.

I don't know what to do. I can't take her in, because I literally have no money. My financial situation is critical right now. I went to the grocery store this morning to get some things for us all, and let's just say I had to leave my shopping cart there, because my check didn't go through. It was embarrassing to say the least, but that's how bad it is right now.

I'm praying maybe she just irritated it while sleeping. Maybe got something in it and she'll be okay. I don't know what to do. I'd say I feel like crying but I've been doing that all morning.

Does anyone think if I flush her eye out with Saline Solution maybe it will flush out any irritant she's got in there?

I get paid on Monday but I'll still be in the red. My only hope is if my boss gives me a bonus, then I can take her to the vet. But I'm afraid what will happen if I wait and if it's something bad.

Winston
March 29th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ancientgirl...maybe she just got something in it or scratched it. Why dont you wait to see what happens after today? If she is not acting any different it may be just something simple. I dont know about flushing it though? it may make it more irritated?

Stop and take some deep breaths too because they know when your upset and you dont want to upset the whole crew? Monday is not too far away anyhow so maybe things will settle down...

I know how you feel about leaving a shopping cart at the check out though! I did that once with a full cart when I forgot my wallet at home!

Your little sweetie will be just fine!

Cindy

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I wish I'd left my wallet at home. At least then I could have gone back.

I'm hoping she did just get something in there. She was fine this morning, so seeing her now just makes me nervous.

I just hope it doesn't get worse.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Sterile saline is usually safe, ancientgirl--it's pretty close to "tears"... So go ahead and flush it with the saline a few times a day.

What are the drops? If they're antibiotic-only, they're probably okay. But if they have a steroid component, I wouldn't use any more until you've at least called the vet. On a scratched cornea, steroids can slow down healing and cause scarring.

Will she let you look at it at all? If it's a scratch on the cornea, you might be able to see it if you look at it in good light.

krdahmer
March 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm sure Kiska just has something like fur in it, mine get that every once in a while, I just call it 'blinky eye'. I wait a day and it is usually all cleared up. If you can get her to sit still, try to open it a bit and see if you see anything like a scratch or blood, if not, most likely it'll be fine tomorrow and if there are no scratches around the eye I'm sure it's not an emergency. If it's still bad tomorrow, call your vet monday and see if they could take a partial payment, or wait a week till you are paid again.

I totally understand that feeling of having to leave things at the checkout, standing there with your fingers crossed that the money is there for you... and the embarassment of it not being there. :grouphug: I think all of us have moments where we wished there really was a money fairy... but don't worry you'll all be ok. :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Okay, I just got a flashlight and looked at her eye. I don't see anything that looks like a scratch. I just flushed it out with some Saline Solution. I'll do it again later this evening.

I do remember her and Vlad were playing this morning, so I'm wondering if he might have done something to her accidentally. I'm just crossing my fingers it's all better tomorrow.

If I get a bonus this month then if it's not better by tomorrow I'll take her in.

It's just lately I find myself always hoping for next month, and hoping for next month just because I tell myself next month will be better. I really really hope things get better soon because I'm tired of living like this.

I just feel so bad that my baby is like this. I hate seeing her with her little eye half closed.:sad:

chico2
March 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
OMG Ancient,you worry just too much,but at the same time,I can understand.
Sorry you are having money-problems,but I think we've all been there at one time or another,it will get better,I promise:cat:
Those kitties of yours,have had nothing but the best,probably to the detriment of yourself,but that's how it goes,isn't it!
Take care,and don't worry too much,ok:cat:

Hogansma
March 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Awww, I hope your girl is okay. I'm a dog person (allergic to cats) but one of my dogs had Horner's syndrome. I'm not sure if cats can get it too. It was actually an ear infection that had travelled to the nerve that affects the eye on the same side. Soooo, after all that, what I really am trying to say is that you may want to check her ear on that side too for any signs of infection and clean it. Hope she is better and your finances too. I've been there and it seems just when my money is low, a dog gets sick.

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Chico, you're right. I'm trying to remain positive. It's hard for me not to give them the best I can. I'm never going to have kids, I've got no problem with that, so these little ones are my babies. I take comfort that you all know how it is when we have these little creatures in our lives.

I wish I could give them more and hopefully one day SOON, I won't have to have these issues.

I'm keeping an eye on Kiska's eye. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll be okay by tomorrow.

SARAH
March 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I can remember a time when I'd go through pockets and jars looking for 33 cents to buy a can of pork-and-beans :rolleyes: money is a weird thing, it comes and goes, but seems to go faster than it comes :shrug:

:fingrescr for Kiska and :grouphug: for you and your pussycats.

14+kitties
March 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
ancient - I am living your life right now. Hoping things will get better next month. I had my blowout on here, I got over it, I am ok. You will be too. I am sure Kiska will be fine. And if not, you have a wonderful vet who goes out of her way to make sure your babies are healthy. I am sure she will help. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM
The only thing that's keeping me going is next month, and I mean May, not April. I don't foresee this getting better for a while. I hope I can get some relief on Monday and that my boss gives me a bonus. He usually does at the end of the month, but this month he's been crying about how we don't have much money in the account. Gee, maybe he shouldn't have paid himself $25K last month :frustrated: So, at this point I don't know if I'll have anything to help me out.

At least I know I can come here and can get some support. Others telling me it will get better and they have been there at least gives me hope.

Kiska's eye does seem to be better. She's opening it more so hopefully it will be okay by tomorrow.:pray:

loopoo
March 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
:goodvibes: for you and for kishka that her eye will be better real soon... i am sure it is just a little thing and it will pass:)