June 22nd, 2004, 11:00 PM
I posted before about giving cats honeysuckle to play with. You get the same reaction from it as u would catnip.
Well Mona, I know what may still be worth a try since Casper was not so fond of the Honeysuckle. Try squirting it with some water or run it under a tap. Apparently when wet they give off the scent more, and picky kitty may play with it! :D
Just a lil something I figured out today when cutting my honeysuckle in the yard (after the rain) lol and some purrrrrrrfect little kitty came by to take a sneak peak and seemed 'very interested'
Worth a try!
June 22nd, 2004, 11:30 PM
AWWWW Luba Booba ((((( HUGS ))))) for thinking of us.... ;)
I did that remember????
I was told to soak it in warm water..Tried that... :( .Tried giving it to him dry,still nothing....I tried this with Winnie,nothing...She also wants nothing to do with catnip.
OHHHH Luba,I forgot to tell you,I was reading that the Honeysuckle is toxic....I'm trying to figure out where I read it....I think it was listed under toxic plants....I knew there was something I forgot to tell you.... :rolleyes:
June 22nd, 2004, 11:51 PM
Oh ya u did soak it...shux!!
I think if you read about any plant it's toxic in one way or another.
A lot of places sell Honeysuckle and even the naturopathic vet in the area sells it..plus it's all over the net!
I will do a little reading and get back to you, I'd read somewhere that it wasn't harmful to cats, on same level as catnip and stuff but if it is I'd better find out :eek:
One thing I did read is that if the cat is under a year it may not appreciate the scent as ti's not developed fully! ;)
Keep ya posted on what I find out my dear!
Huggers back2u always!
June 22nd, 2004, 11:54 PM
Oh,so maybe that's why they have no intrest in it right now.....
K,then I'll try it again later.... :D
Thanks my friend.I would lije to know for sure if it's toxic or not... :)
June 23rd, 2004, 12:02 AM
Lotz of help many sites are, it's listed as are dozens of others on both toxic and non toxic lists! Even catnip is listed as toxic! wth?
Anywho here is some info, whether or not you can take it for gospel I dunno?
Q: Is honeysuckle safe for my cat?
A: Mike Ellis with the Texas Poison Control for the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston says they've received no reports about adverse reactions. If you look at general information, the whole Lonicera genus was included in a list of plants that at one time was temporarily considered acceptable for food.*
This says it's the 'flowers' of the honeysuckle that are dangerous not the wood.
Flowers such as amaryllis, daffodils, iris, hyacinth and honeysuckle also are poisonous
Kittens for dummies lmao
Says it's okay!
cats who don't respond to catnip usually respond to honeysuckle toys. Dampen the toy to release the aroma
So there u go a little here and there stuff! :D
June 23rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
WOW,that was fast...........LOL..
Thanks for the links.... :D
Well so far you know Casper wants nothing to with either the Honeysuckle(LMAO,just remembering something you said a while ago. :p )..Or the Catnip.
And so far neither does Winnie.I will try it again in a few months.Casper will be 1 in Sept.... :D
June 23rd, 2004, 12:13 AM
Ahh see that could be it then the age thingy :D
June 23rd, 2004, 12:27 AM
Could be....I'll let you know in 3 months.... :D
June 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks Luba! I wonder if this will help my feral mommacat calm down? She has all the fur licked off the base of her tail.:(
If you could send some..errr..BUGS (especially flying ones) for Miss Stinkerbell she would appreciate that much more! :D
June 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
LR if you want some email your addy to me and I'll mail to you.
As for the buggies wuggies, lil miss Sadie pants chomps them! SNAP like a croc!
June 23rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
The Evil Stinkerbell will trash my house hunting down ONE mosquito or fly. :mad:
I'll have to start beating her again.
June 23rd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Okey dokey smokey!
Stinkerbell I'd send you some big flies if I could catch them first lol
June 23rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
My cats have their own little cat-nip garden,they roll their whole bodies in it and have a great time,but I remember giving it to Vinnie when he was younger and he ignored it,now he even eats the fresh cat-nip,as do the others.
I certainly hope it's not toxic :eek:
As for Honey-Suckle,what part of the plant do I use,just the woody stem?
They don't get wild from it,they just get that"howdy-dodey"in la-la-land look :D
June 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
The dry wood Anita, cut it small pieces on angle to expose the inside a bit.
Spritz with water and you can put in a sock or supervise w/o so they don't eat it.
My brothers cats go nuts for it!
June 23rd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Hubby and I watch TV in bed with the lights off. The TV screen is a magnet for any moth that might have gotten in. Not unusual to suddenly have a flying Puss-Puss leap past and through us while we're laying there all warm and relaxed. :eek: :eek: