Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help Me With A Cat Issue!

nicole123
March 28th, 2008, 11:54 PM
My cat Milo is a 9 month old tomboy who hasn't been neutered. He is a housecat and lately has been urinating (not spraying) on clothes, paper, and rugs. He hasn't been doing this until about two weeks ago and he is housebroken. If anyone has any input to the diagnosis of this odd behaivior or a simple solution, please tell me. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!:cat:

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM
It might be behavioral, but any time we see an obvious change in the behavior of one of our animals, our first step is to head for the vet to rule out medical causes. :thumbs up

Frenchy
March 29th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hazel's right , you have to start by bringing him to the vet , could be urinary infection , crystals , blockage ..... having him neutered might help too.

Hollygirl
March 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sounds to me like Milo has reached sexual maturity, usually it happens around 7 months old in males. The best time to neuter is before this happens. Having the operation now will help but, it might not stop the spraying all together.

Hazmat
March 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Could be an issue with an infection. So you need to take him to your Vet.

Also could be just that he is marking and starting to mark his territory. You might not want the hear this but go get him neutered.

From what I've read it may take up to three months before his testosterone leaves him.

He will become more friendly. He will become happy.

He will not flip out every time a cat walks buy your house or enters your yard and piss on your floor/carpet/ clothes.

clm
March 29th, 2008, 07:23 PM
A vet check and neutering get's my vote too. A neutered male is unlikely to start spraying indoors and will be much happier. An intact male is going to get frustrated if he can't mate, take that frustration away by neutering and you'll have a happier cat.

Cindy

14+kitties
March 29th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Besides the obvious that has already been mentioned (sexual maturity, crystals, blockage, behavioural and neuturing) there are lots of possibilities.
Have you changed anything in the house? Has your routine changed? Have you changed his litter or the location of it? Have you stopped cleaning it as often as you did before? Is there a new person around? Otherwords.... anything different may throw him off.
Please take him to a vet to be checked. #1 priority! While there do him a huge favour and schedule his spay. He will thank you for it.