Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do your pets obey your vets?

BusterKitty
March 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Buster obeys the vet. To Buster, the vet is like master. During the vet appointment, the vet had to go out and get something for a few seconds. Buster was on the examination counter...and when the vet left, Buster jumped onto the other counters. Just before the vet came back, Buster somehow jumped back to the examination came right on time without getting caught by his doctor.

So Buster has fleas and they found that out. The vet pulled out a flea comb and ran it along the target spot. Buster was not annoyed AT ALL!!!:eek: The vet applied some flea medicine and Buster just sat there lovingly. It's a whole different story at home. When my friend pulled out the medicine beacuse it was THE TIME, Buster stared at her like she was pulling out a murder weapon!! He really wanted to resist the medicine!

Onto something else. Buster is declawed in the front paws(by a previous owner) and had to get his back claws trimmed. The vet did it quickly and smoothly(except he cut into the quick once...) and Buster didn't care at all. A month later, my friend tries it. No such luck. Buster wouldn't let her touch The Paws so my friend had to wait. He started licking his tummy and his back paw was sticking out. -Snip!- One claw done! Buster didn't care but now, it's hard to get the other claws...so Buster has one claw shorter than the others:laughing:

Tell us about your weird vet "adventures". Do your pets react differently to different vets?

pbpatti
March 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Sasha likes to make herself right at home. Her Dr.D has 2 chairs in the exam room, Sasha enters the room and up she goes on one of them and waits. She has been visiting Dr. D since she was 7 weeks old and loves him to bits.

luckypenny
March 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I think I'll be taking our dogs to TO to see your vet from now on :laughing:. Penny turns into Cujo at the vets so we have to keep her muzzled :o, Lucky has a panic attack each time we go but his vet knows him so he lays down on the floor (yes, the vet :eek:) when we enter the examining room. Within 10 minutes, Lucky's licking him and the vet does the exam from under Lucky. He's the coolest vet ever for fearful/anxious dogs :thumbs up . And Ava.....hmmm :rolleyes:....how best to describe her?....she can be quite the hussy with her favorite vet as well as anyone in the waiting room :laughing: .

BusterBoo
March 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
My Buster loves his Vet and she can do anything with him! About the only thing he doesn't like is having his temperature taken, but then again....:eek: not the most pleasant procedure!

Dr C always has treats for her patients and know that Buster will NOT accept a treat from her. It doesn't matter what kind (home made liver treats, home made cookies, packaged stuff) but she always gives me a couple and as soon as we are out of the examination room, Buster is asking for his treat. Strange doggie!

chico2
March 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
My cats all freeze at the vet,a couple of weeks ago when I took Vinnie,he was fine with everything,even nail-clipping.
But when the dreaded thermometer was inserted,it could have been a scene from Dr Doolittle:laughing:the look on Vinnies face was priceless:cat:

Love4himies
March 29th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I had a vet when I lived in St Albert, who was the best cat vet ever. My cats did not flinch for him at all. I have not found a vet who had such good control over my cats since.

Puddles hates the vet ever since she got her bloodwork taken from her neck. Sweet Pea and Jasper are very good patients, even when they had their blood work done.

BusterKitty
March 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
:laughing:Thanks for all the replies everybody!

pbpatti: Wow, Sasha must really love her vet to actually make herself at home.

luckypenny: The vet lies on the floor for ten minutes? So Lucky's appointments are longer than everybody else's?:DAll the things that vets would do for their clients:o

BusterBoo: No need to blame him for the temperature taking time. Not as easy as this::sick::rolleyes:
Don't worry, Buster's just showing what a polite boy he is...to his vet.

chico2: So temperature's the big thing huh? Do you have a big hassle when getting your kitties to the vet? My friend half-bribed her cat inside his carrier. The other half was a little mini-push.

L4H: At least you had a good vet for a while. Bloodwork scares ME ><

pitgrrl
March 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM
My dogs love their vet so much that every time we walk past the clinic (which is a couple of times a day since it's a block from my house) they stop and try to go in :laughing: I think it's actually a combo of loving the vet herself and loving her dogs, even though both of them growl and bark at Streets and Basil, they still can't get enough of them.:shrug:

I don't think they allow the vet to do anything that they wouldn't let anyone else do to them, they're pretty co-operative dogs, but it's great at the vets because we've been able to do a lot of things that normally take sedation of some kind without anything.

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The last exam I took Vlad in for the vet tech had to wear "the gloves". Vlad and Oksana hate going to the vet. The only reason they are slightly calm is because they are scared, but they're still hissing and growling when they are there. Maks and Kiska are a little better, no growling or hissing from them. But, they wiggle so much because they just want to get back into their carriers.

The calmest one is Czarina, and she's the one with the least people experience. She allowed the vet to hold her and do what she needed to do.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
All our group visits to the vet are weird--more of a circus than anything else. We need 2 vehicles and a tech comes out to help us juggle dogs! :crazy: All the dogs behave pretty well with the vet--it's the ones waiting out in the vehicles that are the problem. :laughing:

Ford Girl
March 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
We've had too many appts. for Dazy's ears so she's not too keen on the vets office..but she listens and is patient...they don't usually put her on the table at our reg vet, but they did at emerg..she's always happy to leave. :rolleyes: When she was super sick she almost bit a vet tech..:eek:while she was getting her temperature done. :angel: But over all she does go in wiggle butt and likes the pets and lov'n.

Pubert on the other hand goes all kung foo so they sedate him for a lot of things...:laughing: :angel:

Tommysmom
March 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Tommy used to be really shy and obedient at the vet, quiet, and gave kisses to anybody who came close - not because he liked them so much (although he does) but more to say 'I'm only little, don't eat me!'. Last time we had to leave him there for the day though they told us that he'd lost some of that sweetness and was acting more like a jack - screaming blue murder when they held him to draw blood, trying to escape, etc. He's still better behaved than if WE tried any of those things, but he does try to get away. As much as we are all sad that he's not still small and sweet, it's a GREAT thing that he's acting more like a true JRT and gaining more confidence as he gets healthier! Our vet is quite familiar with jacks, he has a jack/corgi mix too, so he just laughs at him, that's why I chose him when we decided to switch.

One thing hasn't changed though... that look of utter humiliation when they take Tommy's temperature... he doesn't budge, just looks like he wants to disappear:laughing:.

chico2
March 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Tommys mom,yeah,that was Vinnies look exactly...or he was saying,"what the heck are you doing down there":laughing:
I am taking Rocky this week for his bloodtest,I'm not looking forward to it although he is so scared he wont budge the whole time.
Getting him in the carrier is the problem,it takes hubby and me and I just hate to squeeze him in there,he's terrified:sad:

krdahmer
March 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
LoL everyone has good vet tales!

Here the girls are so scared they just curl into little balls, and you never hear a peep. Fagan has been so many times, he sleeps on the way there, while we're there and most of the way home! And he of course loves all the pets he gets from the girls while he's there. Palomine is very skittish and gets very slinky. As for the vet it's like she has the magic touch... they are all calm with her. Now the techs are another story... :rolleyes:

And then there's Buddy, man does he get scrappy. He's had a few visits recently and been taken to the 'back' twice, this last time for the xray, the tech came out sort of sheepishly and asked me to come retrieve him. He was a hissy growly mess! (No wonder though they had stuck him in a cage after the xray! and having just had a tooth extracted there, he was none too impressed.) It always amazes me how strong a little 17 lb cat can be when they're stressed. I got him into his carrier with no incident, but I know that I have to really watch his body language and listen for his super quiet low growl when we are at the vets... he lunged at them once before. Even caught the vet by surprise.

Hope you manage to get those other claws and that your pesky visitors (fleas) leave real soon!!

BusterKitty
March 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
pitgrrl: Your dogs actually WANT to go to the vet?:eek: Your dogs are so unique!

ancientgirl: Maybe Vlad and Oksana had bad experiences with people that looked like their old vets:shrug: Wow, it took a while before Buster could get into the carrier and your kitties will happily think of it as a safe place!
Funny Czarina! Doesn't know what's happening but doesn't care:rolleyes:

hazel: Well, it's all worth it once the dogs are too tired from that circus trip and they all snuggle up:cloud9: How many do you take in each car? Do they ever just run around and go :crazy:?

Fordgirl: It's the temperature thing again!:laughing:Pets must DREAD that.
Aw, so Pubert has to be sedated a lot? When doesn't he have to be sedated?

Tommysmom: Don't worry, Tommy'll get his confidence soon.
At least he doesn't get very aggressive. Tommy must be such a nice patient for the vets:D

Thanks everybody for all these replies!:cat::dog:

Mud's Mom
March 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Our vet is great she gets down on floor with the dogs that don't like the table. And all my dogs love going for a ride just about anywhere. If one has a difficult vet visit because of illness or injury they get to go back for a visit with in a week or so just for treats and hugs. I also often take more than one at a time even if only one need an apointment the vet doesn't mind if I let another one tag along for moral support and treats. They get more treats at thee vets in a 1/2 hour than at home in a week. We don't worry about perfect manners at the vets either as long as we have some control so they think it's all fun and games.