Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

On Global News Ontario tonight

Shaykeija
March 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/ontario/video/index.html

Go to global Ontario stories then click on Special report March 28th

OMG OMG those poor animals. My heart broke when I saw the Shih Tzu...

Is there anything we can do to stop this?

pbpatti
March 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM
OMG is right, how can they even call themselves humane societies:sad:, even when she said that it's ok to still have animals subjected to this if they were bred for the research..OMG breaking legs etc:wall:

luckypenny
March 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
That's such a sad story Shaykeija and unfortunately, a very common one :sad: .

Frenchy
March 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I've been trying to watch with for the second time but it doesn't download fast enough and keeps "cutting". :frustrated:

Elizabeth Ann
March 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I am not 100% sure, but I think the Shih Tzu ended up getting adopted.

http://www.burlingtonhumane.ca/adoption/canine.php

They mentioned that the dog was in Halton Hills, Burlington is in Halton Hills.

Look at the last picture.

This is horrible. I wish there wasn't a bylaw where I lived (you can only have three dogs if you live in the city limits) or I would take them all home.

Shaykeija
March 28th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I cannot look at it again. I got too upset seeing it on the news...:sad::sad::sad::cry: Shih Tzu's hold a big piece of my heart, and that little one looked so sad....

Hollygirl
March 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I am so shocked by this. I'm wondering if this is going on in BC. I used to work for an SPCA in BC and ever animal no matter how full the shelter was had a home there until they were adopted or died of old age. I hope you're right about the Shih Tzu in the video being little Reggie but, I think the one on the video looks older. I've tried calling the Halton Hills Shelter but the line is has been busy for a long time. Maybe that's a good sign. Does anyone on here live near that shelter?

NoahGrey
March 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM
FYI,

It is ONLY city run shelters that animals are given to research. Humane Societies/spca's are opposed to animal research and will not send animals for research. And to the lady who says that there is nothing they can do nothing about it..Bull, they get money for each animal they send to research...enhance WHY they the city run shelters give animals to research.

The sad thing is, is that it is not illegal for animals to be sent to research, there for Halton Hills can do so. Halton Hills Animal Control ONLY deals with dogs. The Halton Hills Animal Control, is run by the city...Halton Hills, they do Georgetown, acton and the surroundings hamlets within Halton Hills, like stuwardtown, limehouse, norval, glen williams, ballinfad, and hornby.

ACO22

wdawson
March 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
burlington is not in halton hills......its in halton region.

TKW
March 30th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I am so shocked by this. I'm wondering if this is going on in BC. I used to work for an SPCA in BC and ever animal no matter how full the shelter was had a home there until they were adopted or died of old age.

I'm not so sure about this. Coquitlam BC used to contract animal control to SPCA. A few years ago, they started their own "NO KILL" shelter. NO KILL is the policy they emphasis on. I don't believe SPCA has the same policy. I could be wrong.

NoahGrey
March 30th, 2008, 08:32 AM
ONLY Municipal City Shelters give animals to research. Read my above post.

ACO22

Love4himies
March 30th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I have often wondered about the Cornwall SPCA, they seem to have groups of cats that are taken off their adoption list.

NoahGrey
April 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Humane Societies and spcas DO NOT give animals to research..ONLY CITY run shelters do. If a HS or spca is doing that...i WOULD CONTACT OSPCA, because the OSPCA is opposed to animal research and branches and allficates follow the same guidelines/policies as the OSPCA.

Love4Himies....sadly...these animals were probably put down. I know that there are some HS/Spca's that put down due to cage space. There are ALOT of HS/Spcas that don't.

ACO22