Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oprah (puppy mills)

t.pettet
March 28th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Heard that on April 8 she will be doing a show on puppy mills. Hope so.:fingerscr

Frenchy
March 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Heard that on April 8 she will be doing a show on puppy mills. Hope so.:fingerscr

I hope so too ! Does she usually talk about the same subject for an hour or will she just do a small segment ?

Elizabeth Ann
March 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I just went on her website and it's going to be on 04/04/2008

Love4himies
March 29th, 2008, 08:22 AM
She sticks to one topic for the whole show. This is great news, the best way to educate people about BYB and puppymills as her show is seen by millions.

She is an animal lover so she will do a great job!

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
It's great to see someone of such influence doing something like this. Yes, she is watched by millions and respected as well.

I think if a lot more celebrities spoke out about animal rights, it would make others listen more.

I'm going to see what time it's on so I can record it. Thanks for the heads up.

allymack
April 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
Thnaks for the heads up on this, i will definatitly be watching this! its so great that she is going to talk about it, it means the millions of people will watch and learn all about byb! i know she has a couple golden retirevers, that was on one of her episodes a while back, so she is definitly and animal lover, which is even better because she will believe in what she is talking about!

diandpat
April 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
If I am not mistaken it is Lisa Ling (formerly from The View) who did the report and will be presenting excerpts of it on the show. Lisa Ling does very good reports. I always enjoy what she has to say so I think this will have some good footage. Spread the word!!!

badger
April 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Just show the pictures. Don't be squeamish, show the pictures. And please could Oprah stay out of the shot occasionally. sorry

Frenchy
April 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
And please could Oprah stay out of the shot occasionally. sorry

But , but , she can :cry: on cue :laughing:

ancientgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
I found this on Yahoo:

Winfrey dedicates show to her late dog

Wed Apr 2, 6:50 AM ET

CHICAGO - Oprah Winfrey plans to dedicate a show investigating abuses at puppy mills to her cocker spaniel, Sophie, who died last month from kidney failure.

"Sophie gave me 13 years of unconditional love. She was a true love in my life," Winfrey says on the broadcast scheduled to air Friday. (Advance remarks from the show were released Tuesday by Harpo Productions.)

The show features special correspondent Lisa Ling investigating puppy mills, which Ling calls "horrific" and "haunting."

Winfrey says the show is "for anybody anywhere who loves a dog, has ever loved a dog, or just cares about their basic right to humane treatment."

While Sophie was not a product of a puppy mill, and Winfrey's three current dogs were adopted from breeders, Winfrey says in the future she would look to adopt from an animal shelter.

"I would never, ever adopt another pet now without going to a shelter to do it. I am a changed woman after seeing this show," she says.

___

happycats
April 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
I found this on Yahoo:

Winfrey dedicates show to her late dog

Wed Apr 2, 6:50 AM ET

While Sophie was not a product of a puppy mill, and Winfrey's three current dogs were adopted from breeders, Winfrey says in the future she would look to adopt from an animal shelter.

"I would never, ever adopt another pet now without going to a shelter to do it. I am a changed woman after seeing this show," she says.

___

THANK YOU SOMEONE IS LISTENING!!!!! I Hope this message comes across loud and clear!!

dachie
April 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
lets hope oprah can get this message out to the people. yeah oprah

wdawson
April 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
i have my pvr set.......never thought i would tape opra:eek:

onster
April 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Lisa Ling does a very good job, sure to be a good show :thumbs up

sure to reach a ridiculously large audience :highfive:

ancientgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
never thought i would tape opra:eek:

I second that! I've got my DVR set too. I know once I sit to watch I'm going to have to have a large box of tissues ready.:sad:

Ford Girl
April 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
OMG! I'm watching Oprah now, and I just saw the preview, they are really pushing this episode, it was a long heart wrenching preview!!! :sad: :highfive:

I sent an email to everyone I know to watch this, and included a link for no puppy mills Canada and a link for this episode...it was an email I found on this website of the rescue that worked with Oprah...

Did anyone else see that? Did you see the bill boards that rescue has!! Awesome coverage...google it, check it out!

Love4himies
April 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I saw the preview for this show yesterday on Oprah. It is going to be very heart wrenching, but will be an excellent eye opener to the general public.

Ford Girl
April 4th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I saw the preview for this show yesterday on Oprah. It is going to be very heart wrenching, but will be an excellent eye opener to the general public.

Exactly, someof them looked shocked! Thats why they are calling it Americas Dirty Little Secret! I love the billboards. :highfive:

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I started watching it but I have a feeling it's going to take me a while to watch the entire show. I kept crying and having to turn it off.

rainbow
April 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I can't believe that I totally forgot to watch it. :wall:

BusterBoo
April 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
:cry: OK, I watched the whole show....and cried through the whole thing... there were parts I couldn't watch...when they were picking the dogs to be euthanized in the morning, walking the dogs out of the pens, dogs wagging their tails, only to go to the euthanization room.

I am still in tears....My God.....the stacks of crates, the sick and dying dogs.

there may be some that don't like Oprah, but the message got across (IMO).

Those poor babies.... :pray:

t.pettet
April 4th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Watched the show and have 1 word to describe its impact: Powerful. Am wondering if this is going to produce vigilantism and some Amish farms and millers's locations will be raided. Anyone free Sat. night? Kudos to Oprah for an informative, hard-hitting documentary that will educate the general public and bring the plight of these dogs to the fore-front.

aslan
April 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I watched it too, broke my heart. Maybe if they did something more severe to them it would deter them, but a slap on the wrist isn't gonna make it end.

BusterBoo
April 4th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Watched the show and have 1 word to describe its impact: Powerful. Am wondering if this is going to produce vigilantism and some Amish farms and millers's locations will be raided. Anyone free Sat. night? Kudos to Oprah for an informative, hard-hitting documentary that will educate the general public and bring the plight of these dogs to the fore-front.

The unfortunate part is the immediate impact doesn't last....In a week or two, there will be another issue that will over-ride Oprah's show.

How do you keep the general publics interest in this?

rainbow
April 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
These videos show the sadness of what happens with puppy mill dogs. :sad: :frustrated: :mad: :wall:

Please copy the links and send them to everyone you know....it may help to keep the public aware of the cruelty involved. :fingerscr

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51128

rainbow
April 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Aslan told me the links didn't work. Here's the proper links....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG7bXi0xylY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEt1rkq0Gw4&feature=related

Frenchy
April 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Someone taped it for me so I will only see it next week. I already saw some shows on this a while ago. And the stuff on internet :sad:

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Please pardon my ignorance, but I always thought the Amish were all for peace and living in harmony with all things. How can they do that to another living creature?

hazelrunpack
April 4th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Watched the show and have 1 word to describe its impact: Powerful. Am wondering if this is going to produce vigilantism and some Amish farms and millers's locations will be raided. Anyone free Sat. night?

There has been some rather nasty reaction to it here...but it hasn't helped the problem. The anti-Amish card is getting played, to everyone's detriment. All it will do is drive them to close the farms to visitors...and what good will that do for the dogs?

Please pardon my ignorance, but I always thought the Amish were all for peace and living in harmony with all things. How can they do that to another living creature?

It's a cultural thing. They look at animals as livestock, not as beings with souls. "...living in harmony with all things" doesn't really describe their philosophy.

The only way to stop this is to dry up the market for the these poor dogs. And that means education--and Oprah did a great service today! (And I'm not an Oprah fan.)

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM
That's just amazing to me they would think that way. I'm not buying their cheese anymore:frustrated:

I don't like Oprah much either, but I have to respect the fact she has done shows that open people's eyes. She's an incredibly influential person, and the fact that those people posted that billboard to someone they knew would get the world out says something about her.

At the very least, people who had no clue about this are now aware. Those people will tell others, and they will tell others. That's the thing with Oprah's fans. If Oprah says the sun is purple, they all believe it's purple, and in this case it's a good thing.

hazelrunpack
April 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
If Oprah says the sun is purple, they all believe it's purple, and in this case it's a good thing.

:D Ain't that the truth! :laughing: On both counts!

Spatx
April 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'm not an Oprah fan, never watch the show, but I tuned in this afternoon to watch. I must say she did a great job getting the message out about the horrors of puppy mills and the neglect of all the dogs. It's so hard to watch the dogs, I was tearing throughout the show. She is well respected and has a huge fan base, so I'm positive this show opened the eyes of viewers.