Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Taking him off leash...

rhynes
March 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Fishing season is coming and i'd love to take the dog with me. He's never been off leash as of yet and I don't think he would stop running to be honest. He's bad enough on leash, forever pulls like a bulldog and we can't seem to stop him from doing so...

Anyone have any tips? Girlfriend will kill me if I don't come back with her dog... Will shove the fish where the sun don't shine if you know what i mean...

On another note, Rufus is doing great. I want to thank you all for your sound advice as he's getting fed innova evo small bites and he absolutely loves the raw meat and raw bones. Hard to come by shanks but he'll get prime ribs (yep, prime) and short ribs... I'll give him the frozen meat strips to chew on, then a meaty bone. Goes nuts for it.

aslan
March 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi have you tried a hali muzzle for walking, my golden we had to get a collar with hooks on the inside, it doesn't hurt them but stops them from pullin. As for bones if you have a butcher around you, go in and ask if you can get some good size soup bones, usually if they know its for a dog they don't charge you.

the gang
March 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
but just make sure you boil the bones first

rhynes
March 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I'll have to check up on that collar but I don't want to use anything that's going to hurt him in any way... I'm not great on training either, so I guess we are another part of the problem here.

The old addage of "don't know what you got til it's gone" holds so true.... Our little Tia died in early August last year from poison, 8 months already, and I still can't think about her without getting choked up with tears. I find it hard to believe that a dog can have such an effect on us but she did. I don't want Rufus to suffer because I miss her so much. She was great off leash and would always come running when she was called. We made alot of mistakes with Tia, and we don't want to repeat them with Rufus.

i've been looking around for a butcher, not easy to find in edmonton. Most are at the local supermarkets and they are bloody expensive. the local sobeys sells the shanks for $1.50 each but they are a rare find. Oxtails are out, too much $$$, like 9 bucks for a few little ones. Prime rib bones and meat are 7 bucks for 4 ribs and a fair amount of meat. I'll slice most of the meat off and freeze it, give it to him for treats. He'll get the first one raw and unfrozen, the rest of the bones come out of the freezer. He goes totally nuts for them :) Best thing in the world LOL.

I won't cook the bones or the meat gang, the only cooked (dried) meat he gets is jerky when I make it for myself. I'll make a couple of trays of plain jerky that he simply loves :) Is he spoiled??? Oh yeah, definitely.

With this diet of dry innova food, plenty of water and raw bones and meat, he's been great. His teeth are great, pure white all the way to the gums, his bowel movements are normal, his gas (major farts) went away and he's got lots of energy.

aslan
March 29th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hey rhynes, sorry to hear about your loss, yeah the fuzzbutts do worm there way into your heart. The collar doesn't hurt or I wouldn't use it. My one tog is a terrierx so he wanted to pull all the time. Try taking your little one to obedience class. Its definately worth the money.

clm
March 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't be taking the dog fishing with me unless I had a leash on him. Lot's of things for a dog to see out in the bush, squirrels, rabbits, deer. Unless you're absolutely sure of their recall, it's not worth the risk.

Cindy

Winston
March 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome! There is one thing obediance training taught me....and that was if you cant trust your dog to be off leash then dont do it! There are too many temptations out there for them...Some dogs are better than others off leash...My boy is 8 now and I have never trusted him off leash! he is a lab with an active nose! :laughing:

Cindy

rhynes
March 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Well, we went to a friends today, put rufus in the back yard with their dog and we went out front for coffee and chat. Next thing I know Rufus is running up to us, guess he's small enough to squeeze through the metal fence. :laughing: Anyhow, we let both dogs run free around the front lawn for an hour or so off leash, he was great. Shows promise.

Going to take him to an off leash park and see what happens. I think he'll surprise us, he seems to be calming down some as he's getting older, showing a little more intelligence. Losing the dorkiness.

BTW, while walking him to the friends, we came across this doberman pup being walked. 4 months old and HUGE, had to be pushing 50 pounds already. I couldn't believe the paws on this thing but so friendly and just beautiful. Rufus is starting to get along better with other dogs, not so overbearing and in their face. Just more playful and no fear at all...

mona_b
March 31st, 2008, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't be taking the dog fishing with me unless I had a leash on him. Lot's of things for a dog to see out in the bush, squirrels, rabbits, deer. Unless you're absolutely sure of their recall, it's not worth the risk.

Cindy

Exactly.

And if recall is not 100%,don't do it.

SnowDancer
March 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
My Eskimo will absolutely NEVER be off leash with me or my husband. When the professionally trained home boarder has him she takes him to a fenced dog park and he plays with her other charges and with her he has 100% recall (no way is he going anywhere and leaving her with the other dogs). Plus behaviour is often different with people other than Mommy. I was the same with my Dachshunds - they have a very strong prey drive and when they would see a squirrel etc. their minds would 100% focus on said squirrel, forgetting all else. We don't have a fenced back yard but it would have been futile anyway - Dachshunds can go under the fence and Eskies can jump VERY high and over they go and break their necks.

Rottielover
March 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM
I will also say that even if you think the recall is 100%, it will never be.
Dogs are still dogs, and instincts are strong, especially in the woods, and other many critter areas....
Do not do it, invest in a long cord for safety

Mud's Mom
March 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM
My dogs have all been hunting breeds and have all gotten to the point of running off lead but only after lots of training and never near any traffic or danger because as the prior answer said with dogs nothing is realy 100%.
If you are going to let your little guy run start with a long check cord. We start with at least 50 feet. You have to stay farely close if there is brush or trees so they don't get tangled. It always seems like just when you think they are responding well they get it in their head to test you. With no check cord they only need to stay 5 feet infront of you and you can't catch them and they know it. I've played a few of these keepaway games over the years.

As for fishing, We flyfish and have had a few dogs that have been able to go with us. two of them got to the point that they would tag along if we were hiking into someplace but would get bored and wander off once we started fishing so they were tied to trees. One loved to go and would stay close but loved the water so much not many fish stuck around after he dove in. One more thing to consider - a vet I know has had to remove hooks and lores from dogs mouths and throats - One even got to and swallowed asmall fish the owner was realing in. If you realy want to FISH leave him home. If you want to take a dog out for a run with a little fishing on the side just make sure one eye is always on the dog and you are doing all you can to keep them safe.

Can't wait to go fishing. 2 more inches of snow today will it ever end.

rhynes
March 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Point taken Mud's Mom, I flyfish too and am aching for it, my sole source of relaxation...

Groundhogs are a problem in alot of areas that I fish, hundreds of them, the dog would have a field day and probably would take off... I'm not so worried about hooking him as I am laying a fly into one of my ears. :laughing: There's a reason they call pike fishing on the fly "chuck and duck"

I love the dogs having freedom to roam, our last dog was simply amazing. She did her thing but always came back to check on us and roam again... She got curious and went sniffing after a pike I was bringing to the shore one time, the fish tried to attack her. Gave me a major scare but she learned very quickly what was right and wrong...

After reading the responses here, I really think rufus is too young yet and my expectations are too high, he needs to develop some real intelligence and the process is only just starting. I will try him off leash with the neighbors black lab, his best friend really, and see what he's going to do in some of the local parks... Maybe some day trips to the parks...

mona_b
April 1st, 2008, 09:15 AM
When I was teaching recall to my dogs,I actually did it with distractions.And it actually wasn't really that hard.And I was training 2 -3 month old pups.And since I was training my current for the canine unit,I had to work hard for it.It takes time and patience.I used a 30' training lead.

My sister is on a farm with a Border Collie and 3 Huskies.None are ever tied up and have free run.They know their bounderies and stay within the house.And yes Huskies can be thick as a brick.But they can also be very smart.And not once have they taken off.

If you are going to take him to a local park and not an off leash park,make sure he is on a leash.

I would start Rufus on the recall command.And get a 30' training lead.But start him off slowly.Have him sit at your left side( I always prefer the left).Tell him "stay".Walk out about 2-3',turn around and face him.Then give him the "come" command.If he breaks the command at any time,walk him around and have him do the sit/stay.Now that's if he knows the sit/stay..If not,teach him them.These are very important commands....:)

I worked so hard with my dogs.And it paid off in the end.But please don't expect alot from Rufus.He's learning...;)