Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Play Pen

caharris
March 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Has anyone used a play pen for their new puppy to help with potty training? I have found a Pet Gear Home 'N Go Pet Pen, but not sure if it will work. I find it hard to keep my puppy Bailey around me at night when I'm cooking dinner, getting ready for work, laundry, etc. So...it takes 2 seconds and he is out of my sight and piddling on the carpet. I tried to keep him tethered to me, but it's not the easist thing since he's so small....I practically stepped on him last night 3 times.

And, he's in his crate for most of the day so I'd have to put him back in there for these 15-30 min breaks of me doing things around the house.

I think I'd like to try this play pen, but wanted to see if anyone had luck with a product like this to help keep the puppy in one confined place when you're at home.

Thanks for your input, as always!!!

We start puppy school tomorrow....I can't wait!! I think I need it more for me than for him. :)

luckypenny
March 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
A playpen is a great idea. you may find the ones made for toddlers a little less expensive and perhaps larger. If there's a door/gate on it, bonus. You can use it so your pup doesn't learn to try to climb the sides.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2689375&kw=safety%20gate&origkw=safety%20gate&parentPage=search&f=Taxonomy/TRUSCA/2510384

SnowDancer
March 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
It is a good idea - but you will have to take into account the athletic skills of your puppy - and ability to determine if there is a way to get out - there will be the will. Our 10 lb. pups could get out of a kids' playpen and the kids' safety playpens - and this was after back surgery. Our then 13 week old, 11 lb. at the time Eskimo hauled himself over said playpens to tumble down other side (the Dachshunds swung themselves down). All were able to climb baby gates. The Graco playpen didn't work either - except as a place to park them for a couple of minutes say if a dish broke on the floor and they wanted to "help" clean up the broken pieces - but I would never have left the room or the gymnastics would have begun.

luckypenny
March 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
When I was over at BHRR last Spring, her children were in the pen teaching puppies not to climb the sides. They stood in the middle and each time a pup would jump up, they just gently brought them back down, over and over again until the pups finally stopped. If I remember correctly, it only took about 30 minutes before they learned to not climb. There were also chewies and toys in with them to keep them distracted and occupied. Oh, and they were Great Danes :laughing: :lovestruck: .

Snowdancer's comment about not leaving the room is important so as to avoid any accidents. Can you set one up near you while you're busy?

caharris
March 31st, 2008, 11:00 AM
I actually went to puppy school on Saturday and my trainer said, if you cannot have an eagle eye on your puppy, then they need to be in their crate. Basically, they should be spending more time in their crate then out of it. The only time they should be out is to go outside, playing, or you having full control and watching him. That helps develop their bladders, to hold it til they have to go out again.

So, this weekend I held off on getting the play pen. Instead, after we played after his potty, I put him right back in his crate. He slept the entire time...and I was at home!! Then he woke up and I took him right outside. This seemed to have worked ok. I'll try to keep this routine and see how it works. If not, then I'll invest in the play pen and see if he can stay in it.

Thanks for all your advise!! I'll let you know how it goes.