Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'M OUTSIDE, finally !!!!

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Finally, mommy got me the get-up I need to go outside with Misti and the dogs! About time, don't you think?

Here's a few pics from my first sortie :thumbs up

But, I am being restrained !!! :frustrated:

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 08:05 AM
OK, there's a chair here? At least there is something I can get stuck around, once I figure out how to do that!

And this long line behind me? I can "kill" it :D

danaekitty
March 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Ha ha, that black and white one looks MAAAAAD that she's on a leash!

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Spoutnik? It's his first time out, first time with a harness, and there seems to be more to the world than what he can reach! Heh heh, why do you think you're tied up little tornado!? I want to keep you around!

ancientgirl
March 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Wow, you can really see how much he's grown here. He certainly doesn't look too happy, but Misty's all like "Hey, what's up with you?"

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
He'll get the hang of it :thumbs up and once he discovers butterflies, flies, dragon flies and other bugs, he'll ... be even more frustrated he can't run free to catch 'em :laughing:

onster
March 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
beautiful, the both of them :cloud9::lovestruck:

Just wondering sarah, do u apply flea treatments on them if u just allow them on the deck? Also, is the tie-out long enough for them to jump on the railing? I heard a horror story of a poor cat getting hung that way (by jumping off) so im scared to let my cats out like that, tho id really like to....and finally :o wouldnt this be a constant excercise in getting them untangled? i tried once with Onnie but he just got so tangled it was frustrating...

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I didn't use any flea treatment on Misti last year, nor did I use any on the dogs for that matter. I saw no flea, and believe you me, I do know what those little buggers look like :frustrated: so no treatment this year either, unless I see a flea on either one of the 4.

The leash will let them get to one side of the railing, but only the tip of their noses. I guess, with a harness they won't get hung, but the pressure on their bodies would still not be the most comfortable (to say the least). Plus, pulling a cat in is probably as hard as realing in a large fish :rolleyes:

Misti gets tangles when she's alone, in table legs, chairs, umbrella stand ... with the two of them, I expect to see "fish-nets" this summer :laughing: but what the heck. Better I untangle them than they get lost, run over, stolen ...

pbpatti
March 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Yay for Spoutnics first foray into the big wide world..hope he gets used to his harness real quick..he is getting big, I love the mark over his eye.

14+kitties
March 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Ohhhh that is NOT a happy kitty!! Hopefully he realizes soon that the enemy rope is there to protect him. He is such a rascal. :cloud9: He is getting to be big! Will be able to beat up the doggies soon. :rolleyes:

chico2
March 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Aww Sarah,they are both so cute,Spoutnik will learn to love the leash eventually,wait until he gets to smell and eat the grass etc..
Are you getting them some cat-nip plants?
The fresh plants keeps my cats busy for quiet a while when we are outside.
Here's an example:cat:

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I should I guess :) but will have to hide them from the dogs :D I wanted to put some in the kitchen for them in the winter as well, so if I put some in a large planter outside for summer, I could dig them up and put them inside in the winter I guess. Where do they sell them?

CearaQC
March 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Catnip is super easy to grow even from seed. And is it ever a tough plant.

Here was a plant that I forgot about in the winter of 2006-2007 in the greenhouse. It didn't get watered from November 2006 until I took this picture back in May 2007.

There's a metre stick for scale purposes. :laughing::laughing: It was grown from seed.

Lesson: if I can't kill catnip by ignoring it, then anyone should be able to grow it.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0001-1.jpg

TeriM
March 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Great pics :cloud9:, did the little monster manage to chew through his leash? One of my cats was an expert at that :frustrated:. You should consider installing a run line (high wire that you can just clip short leashes on) for them. Might help prevent some tangles. I personally had no problem killing my catnip plant but it was in a planter so when I didn't water it guess what happens :o. I did find it to be a bit of an attractant for the neighbors cat though so watch out for that.

glasslass
March 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I love the little white tootsies on Misty.

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Nice plant there :thumbs up I'll try it for sure!

Run line ... not a good idea, because then they would get to the edge and over! And have a lot more things to get tangled up in as well. We did bring Misti down to the pool side last summer, which she liked, but she spent most of the time under the stairs, out of the sun.

chico2
March 29th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Sarah,although I am kind of known for a "green thumb",I never had much luck growing anything from seeds:sad:
I buy a small cat-nip plant from our local nursery,beeing a perrenial it comes back every year with a vengence.
I take some inside in the fall,hang it to dry,much better and smellier than the store-bought stuff:thumbs up

loopoo
March 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
nice pics.. i have the feeling after a while the leash wont bother them as much once they realize they can chase the sunrays, bugs and whatever else is out there :lovestruck:

loopoo
March 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM
nice pics.. i have the feeling after a while the leash wont bother them as much once they realize they can chase the sunrays, bugs and whatever else is out there :lovestruck:

SARAH
March 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Misti loves being outside, but she's a bit bewildered these days ... it's nice and sunny, she gets warm sitting inside in the sun and wants out, only go get cold :confused::shrug: something is wrong with the outside!

Spoutnik isn't quite sure what this "outside" is yet, and the dogs are too funny bumping him back towards the door when they notice him at the end of his leash :D

KimandAutumn
March 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I think they are protesting about their short ropes. They are very cute. :lovestruck:

14+kitties
March 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Misti doesn't mind her leash though, right Sarah? Spout will get used to it soon. He is just such a little sweetie. I love the look of indignation on his face in most of the pics.

SARAH
March 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Misti is the sweetest cat ever, puts up with anything from a leash to tummy-rubs and having matted fur-balls shaven! Never a growl, hiss, slap nothing. She's just a total sweetheart :lovestruck:

Spoutnik is ... well, a male! Thinks he's right all the time, has to explore everything regardless of any possible danger, plays rough, doesn't mind the leash itself but the restaint it puts on his feedom of movement! He'll get over it when he starts seeing bugs :D