Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help dog with aneixty

TinaMcq
March 28th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Boy have we taken a big turn around skipper is having anxiety issues or seperation problems he has torn my carpet at the front door back as well as the padding and he is constantly growling at my son, I noticed last night night that his eyes are looking up and he is licking the air like something is coming down at him? I have no idea what to do I got him a kong and stuffed some peanut butter in there to keep him going during the day but its finished before we get out of the door, I put some alunimum foil by the door he still got at the carpet I leave the tv on for him if there is anything I am forgetting please let me know or I can try it...as for the growling once he growles I tell my son to leave him alone if he bites my son well hard to say what I really would do but I would want to get rid of him my son would have to come first and one bite is enough.........but I would want to give it another try to............

Lukka'sma
March 28th, 2008, 06:52 AM
First of all Tina I would say you need to crate him when you go out.
When you do leave don't make it a big deal as far as the dog is concerned. No kisses goodbye or telling him you'll see him later, just crate and go. Same when you return, let him out of the crate, but no kisses hello, ignore him for the first few minutes that you return, once he is settled then give him a greeting, but keep it low key.

danaekitty
March 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Oh Tina - I don't have any advice, but Lukkasma's seems really good.
You're a trooper for Skipper...good for you for not giving up!

pitgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Just so I understand, are you thinking the destructiveness when left alone and the growling at your son are both a product of anxiety?

TinaMcq
March 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
no the distructive and growling at my son are totally different issues I know that, the distructive is when he is by himself and I have no idea how to handle that the growling at my son is different and I am afraid of him attacking my son this morning he was laying beside my son for a tummy rub and he growled at him for no reason my son was not rough just laying in bed. Skipper has never been crate trained and I know he dosen't like to be locked up because the first time we left him by himself we didn't know how he was going to be plus he always went alittle haywire when the bird chirped so we put him in my sons room when we got back he was out of the room he bit through the carpet and scratched at the back of his door so I would be afraid of what he would do in the crate but I was thinking about it and I might just get one and try it out, we live in an apartment and the people complained about the dog across the hall when he barked and it came to the point where she had to get rid of the dog and I don't want that to happen but I will deal with that if it comes to it..........

jealma
March 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Not sure if it will work, but you could put an old artical of clothing, or old slipper with him when you crate him. They want the sent of their owner and this may help calm him some while he gets use to a crate

TeriM
March 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I agree that a crate or exercise pen is probably a good idea. The biting the air thing sounds like something you should discuss with your vet.

For the Kong I would suggest making some up the night before and freezing them, it takes them much longer to empty.

I really think that you need to enroll in some obedience classes and/or consult a behaviourist. The growling at your son is a serious issue and you need to address this behaviour right away before it escalates! To start with I would have your son be the one to feed him (assuming he is old enough to safely do this) and make the dog work for everything (nothing in life is free). Google NLIF dogs and you will get a bunch of advice on this suggestion.

Good luck.

TinaMcq
March 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
He is in classes this is all new cause he is alone my grandmother is away for the next two weeks and he only started growling at my son the other day so to me we have worked sooooo hard with skipper and now we feel we have to start all over which is okay I will not give up on him. I kinda figure we had a rough weekend at my sisters house over the easter weekend that he is still calming down from that, hopefully it will be soon..........

Hollygirl
March 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Just wondering, how much time does Skipper spend alone?

allymack
March 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
something that will help with the anxiety is doing patience sits and bulid up the length of time you do them for. To do a patience sit, put him on his leash and stand somewheres that you can see the time and have him sit right beside, but dont use a command and just stand there, if he starts to get up just give a light pull up on the leash and stand there. Start out with a two minute time span and do it 3-5 times a day, do the two minute time span for 4-5 days and if he will sit there for the two minutes without trying to get up, move him up to 3 minutes and do it again 3-5 times a day for 4-5 days and so on. You can also down it in a down position because after you get up to higher time amounts it will be more comfortable for him. you can also sit down on the coach and have him sit or lay down beside while you watch a 30 min program (once you build up to 30 mins) this will help him to learn to just lay around and relax, whether your there or not. hope this helps, if you have nay questions you can pm me :)

Hollygirl
March 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Does he get much exercise during the day?

TinaMcq
March 31st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Skipper is ussually not alone I live with my grandmother and she is here with him during the day but has gone away for two more weeks, he never did this when we all went out only started last week since my grandma has been gone. I am gone from 6:30 to 4 he goes for a walk in the morning. Not much playing around in the morning I have to get a child up as well. I got a crate this past saturday and it seems he was crated before my son gets him in there coaxing of coarse but we walked out today and he wasen't whinning and when we got back in he was asleep in there so relieved........