Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange cat question "please help"

molly1234
March 28th, 2008, 01:04 AM
A couple weeks ago I started noticing these tiny dark reddish spots (smaller then a small pinhead) all over bathroom counter (which is where I keep my cats food) then I noticed they were also on the blanket my cat lays on. I looked at my cat and could find nothing strange, I have no idea where these little spots are coming from but they must be from my cat because they appear anywhere she sits, or lays. Does anyone have any suggestions.

growler~GateKeeper
March 28th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Sounds like flea dirt = dried blood that has been pooped out of the flea after they have feasted on your cat. If it is that noticeable you have a huge flea issue.

Little test for you: take a wet paper towel & wipe the counter - does it come off red on the towel?

What colour is your cat? Light colour cats are easier to check for fleas.....start around the back of the neck & part the fur look for black dots either moving or not (the little buggers move very quick) if you don't see anything move alittle lower around the shoulders part the fur & have a look.

If yes to the above questions you have fleas.

With an infestation bad enough that the flea dirt is that noticeable you need to take your cat to the vet for a check up to make sure she doesn't have any associated problems such as tapeworms, anemia, etc & they will check her with a flea comb, you can then buy some Revolution or similar flea product to apply & kill the fleas. You will also need to vacuum often all areas your cat has been & wash the bedding since fleas can live in the environment for long periods even w/out a host.

Kristin7
March 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Another thing it could be is blood from little calluses on the cat's feet. Mine had those once and they bled a little, and she would leave little spots, just like you describe, where she walked (including bathroom counter, and sink). I don't know what causes those but she doesn't have them anymore. :shrug: If you check your cat's foot pads, you would easily be able to see them.