Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mini-donkeys ..our "donkets"

FancyAppy
March 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
After meeting our goats I thought you may like to meet our adopted mini donkeys Diablo and Pablo. The are very tiny, wickedly ornery and LOUD!

pbpatti
March 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM
looks like they are going to try and out butt the goats:D, always a pleasure to see your pets. pbp

Frenchy
March 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Too cute :lovestruck: I wish I could kiss their cute noses :cloud9: that is if they would let me :laughing:

ancientgirl
March 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I can't take it, I can't take it I tell you! Cuteness overload!!! AAAHHH!!!

I want one of each! They're so incredibly cute!:lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

I love how their little bangs are falling over their eyes!:cloud9:

More pictures!

LOL, and you named one after my dad! Pablo. Which one is Pablo, the little gray one?

allymack
March 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
ooo, too cute! i want one!:cloud9::lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
March 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Pygmy goats & Mini donkeys :D too much fun!

Got any side by side pics of the mini donkeys & pygmy goats for a height comparasion?

chico2
March 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM
OMG,they are just adorable,do they walk well on a leash:laughing:could they pass for a large pup:laughing:

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I like the grey one, he almost looks cuddly (bet he's not!!)

Have you tried harnessing them to a cart? (would you even dare, lol)

Lukka'sma
March 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Oh they are very cute, I still love Sylvia best of all, but these two are running a close second to her.

SolaMio
March 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
They are sooo cute FancyAppy. :lovestruck:
My DH is so darn allergic to donkeys it's not even funny. I have never seen anyone have such a bad attack near any animal, poor fella, and I looove them whenever we visit friends' hobby farms or what have you- but he can't set foot near them, so sad. I wonder if it has anything to do with the type of hair they have? :shrug:
Anyway, they are awesome. Do they have a "jobbie" or are they animal friends? Just curious. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
:cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9:

I love their fuzzy hair! :D

Wicked and ornery, eh? I think we'd get along wonderfully! :laughing:

shane 123
March 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Can you ride those or are they too small....I know nothing about donkeys...please excuse the question if it's dumb....

onster
March 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM
so now I need a dog, goats AND mini-donkeys, lol.

They are just so cute! I love the lil bangs too :lovestruck:

loopoo
March 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM
awww they are too cute :cloud9:

happycats
March 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Okay, are you taking reservations? I would LOVE to come and play with all your animals.......and feed them lots of treats too :lovestruck:

KimandAutumn
March 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Nice a$$. :whistle: :laughing: They are very cute and furry. I like donkeys. :lovestruck:

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
pbpatti, Frenchy...Thank you ..yes you can kiss their noses. They are velvety soft. They lean against us and rub your legs like cats. They are very affectionate and stubborn. If they don't want to move no amount of tugging, pushing or shoving will budge them. They did in those tiny feet and root themselves like trees.

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Ancient..oh thank you. they are cute aren't they? And those bangs kill me too. All that hair makes them so adorable.They look like little stuffed toys. .....except they bite.

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM
Alley and Growler..I wanted them as soon as I saw them too. We were looking at mini donkeys a year ago but they were a bit pricey so we did not purchase any but I could not get them out of our mind.
But a year later, long story short, these imperfect little guys came to us by way of adoption. They have flaws that made them unsuitable for breeders .
We were able to adopt them for a reasonable fee. We are so happy we were able to add them to our family.
It is extra special because they now have a forever home with us.Biting and kicking aside, they are still wonderful pets.
They stand about 24 inches tall at the shoulder. Here is a pic with goats for comparison.

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM
chico--unfortunately they do not lead like a horse. Even our goats lead. but these guys are totally stubborn. I have pretty halters and leads for them but they won't budge once they are put on. I pull from the front and Hubby pushes from the back and that is how we lead them...there is truth in the saying "stubborn as a mule"...LOL

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sarah..I would harness the goats to a cart before these guys. try as I might I can't find anything these guys are good for except to make us happy.Thank goodness they are so cute. it makes up for their bad habits. LOL..

Lukka...here is another pic of Sylvia just looking cute. She is the sweetest girl. you should see her strut her stuff in the goat shows.

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Sola..oh that is so sad about your Hubby and alergies. Maybe it is the hair. it is not smooth and fine or soft like our horses and goats coats. It is dense coarse and shaggy. It probably contains alot of dirt and dust. These guys like dirt. They lay in mud holes and stand in pouring rain. I was quite amazed to see this as the goats hate both mud and rain. But the donkeys love to be dirty...they are little fuzzy dirtballs with ears.

Hazel..oh they are very wicked, and smart too. they play dumb but they have shown us over and over how smart they are. We have alot of fun with these two.

Shane..no not a dumb question at all. If you saw how little they are you could better understand they can not be rode. It is hard to tell from the pics how tiny they are built.They are not big enough for even the smallest child to ride. However I understand full size donkeys are great animals to ride and are especially comfortable .These little guys are just pets for us but most mini donkeys compete in shows and are raised as show animals.

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
They have shows? :lovestruck: You mean there are places where they all meet up? Where you can see hundreds of these cute little guys?

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Onster,kimandautumn,loopoo,happycats
So glad you like our little guys. I joke about them being mean and stubborn but on the flip side they are VERY loving and sweet. They are cuddly and loved being fussed over. They are just adorable and we really love them. They are quite funny too. I have always loved horses and only thought about them when we moved here but our goats and donkeys have really opened our minds about enjoying and loving other "farm " animals. Now I can't imagine living here and not having goats and donkeys. We love our horses, cats and dog but these mini pets certainly have stolen our hearts.

Lukka'sma
April 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Lukka...here is another pic of Sylvia just looking cute. She is the sweetest girl. you should see her strut her stuff in the goat shows.

Her coloring is fabulous, and that face, I could kiss that face all day.:cloud9::cloud9: How old is she, and what is the life span? Does she like apples and carrots? Could you please go out and give her a little treat right now from me:laughing::laughing::D

clm
April 1st, 2008, 02:23 PM
Those little donkeys are just the most adorable animals in the world. I want a couple of them too. :lovestruck:
I wish I had a hobby farm. I mean a real one, not my little house with too many pets crammed in it. :laughing:

Cindy

jessi76
April 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
so what's the name of your little farm? the uber-cute farm?! good grief they're adorable! I never tire of seeing your pets, FancyApp... hope you post many many more!

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
If I had a farm I'd have little Donkets and pygmy goats too! I love them. They're just so cute. I could look at them all day.:cloud9:

chico2
April 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Aww more pics,they are just sooo cute,I am sure they just give you little love-bites.
I was not really serious about the leash,I just wanted to know if they might pass as dogs,so I could have one.
Sylvia is beautiful,has she won tons of ribbons??

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
Chico lol..yes they could pass for dogs till they open their mouth and HOOOOOONK at the top of their lungs. Actually they are supposed to be abled to be led or walked on a leash but we can't figure out how to make them do it. They have us buffaloed.Brats.

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Chico and Lukka'sma
Sylvia has not won any ribbons. We think she is Best in Show though. we aren't blinded by love are we? ha ha
I don't think we will show her this year. It seems to upset her too much...not the shows themselves, she likes all the attention....but the long drives are hard on her . So I think we will just enjoy her this summer at home with us.
She is about 3 years old and goats can live to early , mid teens. She adores baby carrots but her fav snack is animal crackers. I did give her a big hug this afternoon from you. Thank you both so much for your nice comments.

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ancient..yes there are shows for our little Pygmy goats and for the mini donkeys. They are judged on conformation, presentation, color, behavior etc.
The goat shows are very much fun.We are going to our first donkey show this summer. It should be a riot...We will definitely have to control ourselves so we don't come home with any more donkeys.
that is how we got Sylvia-goat. We saw her at a goat show and she was for sale. We bought her on the spot...then had to go buy a dog crate to get her home.It was love at first sight...but we have never had much self control when it comes to animals......

FancyAppy
April 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
Jessi76..
I love your name "uber -cute" for our farm. thank you for your nice comments about our silly bunch. We call our farm Cliffhaven..Cliff cause there is a huge cliff behind our house and haven because we hope this is a safe haven for many animals. Way over half our pets are rescues or adoptions.

clm...I imagine your well loved pets do not care where they live as long as it is with you.They probably do not feel crammed at all.But I know what you are saying, we always had more pets than space . I hope you do have a little farm someday loaded with mini horses and donkeys.Thank you for looking at our little fur family.

Frenchy
April 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM
I never tire of seeing your pets, FancyApp... hope you post many many more!

I have noticed that everytime FancyAppy replies to something we ask , she puts in more pictures ......

So how old are they ?

Can they live indoors ?

How hard would it be to train them to be clean in the house ?

Do they shed a lot ?

:D

hazelrunpack
April 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM
:laughing:

Can you train them to clean the house?

How about to work in the garden?

Can they work the hose?

How are they at cleaning mud off dogs? (something hazel needs help with desparately! :thumbs up)

Okay, Frenchy...that should be at least 8 more! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
April 2nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
Growler..........They stand about 24 inches tall at the shoulder. Here is a pic with goats for comparison.

So the Mini Donkeys are really only about 6 inches taller than pygmy goats.........they really are Mini :laughing:

FancyAppy
April 2nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
frenchy,

Frenchy guess I am posting alot of pics....I will give you guys a break with these responses. lol.
They are a year old and may grow another couple inches at most. A goat can be housetrained and are very clean creatures but the donkeys are like horses. They go when they have to and are not clean unless you wash them.
they remain a bit shaggy all year but can be shaved somewhat like a dog.
I really hope they shed alot cause they are pretty grubby right now.
We have not had them in good weather yet so I am anxious to know how their coats will look myself.
We built them a tiny barn but they rarely go into it. The door is always open for them to go in but they don't want inside.
They are outdoorsy guys and really like it outside even in the rain.
Thank you for asking about our little guys. They are easy to care for and are very healthy.Maybe one is in your future????

FancyAppy
April 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
growler,
yes they are tiny. their hooves are only the size of a quarter. yet they have huge heads and ears in comparison to the rest of their bodies. The tails are solid like a cow not lush like a horse.The goats intimidated them when we first brought them home but now the donkeys bellow at them and the goats back off.Donkeys are attached to each other like twins though they are not related, they are rarely more than a couple feet from each other.

Hazel..lol.
..I wish someone around here earned their keep. Nobody works around here but us....if only they would at least run the sweeper........

Lukka'sma
April 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=FancyAppy;573089]frenchy,

Frenchy guess I am posting alot of pics....I will give you guys a break with these responses. lol.
QUOTE]

No..you missed her and Hazels point. The more question we ask the more we get to see the critters. That's why Frenchy and Hazel were coming up with any question they could think of in hopes of getting a picture to go along with the answer. We adore all the photos and please don't stop posting :)

Frenchy
April 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=FancyAppy;573089]frenchy,

QUOTE]

No..you missed her and Hazels point. The more question we ask the more we get to see the critters. That's why Frenchy and Hazel were coming up with any question they could think of in hopes of getting a picture to go along with the answer. We adore all the photos and please don't stop posting :)

Exactly !!!! :thumbs up pictures pictures pictures !!!! :D

happycats
April 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I Love the pics too!!!

Now you got me thinking about retirement........maybe I could have a bunch of furry creatures like you on a little hobby farm when I retire.....That would be a dream retirement!! Spend every single day with the animals!!

FancyAppy
April 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
LOL you guys are great. What a nice buch of folks you are. I am so grateful you like seeing my babies. I have no kids and this is like a brag book of my little "'children."
I took these today...Diablo was biting my coat and Pablo my feet. I really need to teach these duys some manners but I can;t even get them to lead, who am I kidding. Hubby and I will start reform school with them as soon as it gets warm. This biting stuff is getting out of hand. of course it is just a little pinch cause their mouths are so tiny but still they must have respect for Mom......they can bite Dad instead!..haha
Here is Diablo biting my stomach thru my coat...brat

Lukka'sma
April 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
You just send those bad boys to me and I will straighten them out in about 30 years time:laughing::laughing:

FancyAppy
April 2nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Happy cats. I really hope you get your hobby farm. As much as you love animals you would find so much fullfullment in living the hobby farm life.
My husband and I still work full time. I did quite my career job though. I could not enjoy the farm if I wa working 55 hours a week.and my job was very stressful. I had forgot how to relax . I certainly did not know how to enjoy myself anymore.
So we made the "now or never "decision to sell our nice house, reduce our income and move to this patch of rocks and start populating it with fuzzies.
The goats and donkeys were not part of the plan. We only wanted horses...but chance, wonderful fate, led us to these guys and to our rescue and adoption activities.
It is very hard work taking care of the creepies but somehow it doesn't seem like hard work. Getting up before dawn, lugging hay and feed, building fence, mowing fields...it is all relaxing in a weird way...but the house....uggg..now that is indeed a sad story...maybe I will have the donkeys tug it over the cliff. haha
Oh no ...more pics!!!!!I can't controll my picture taking!!!!!!

rainbow
April 3rd, 2008, 02:50 AM
I am so grateful you like seeing my babies. I have no kids and this is like a brag book of my little "'children."

I think most of us here love seeing pics of all your fuzzbutts. :lovestruck:

You are living the dream alot of us have. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
I second Rainbow's comment. I love seeing pictures of all your babies. You know, I don't have kids either and this is totally my brag board :laughing:

I was just getting a good look at Pablo and Diablo's feet, you weren't kidding when you said they were tiny. OMG how cute! And I love that scrunchy nose picture of Diablo.

I also wish I had a house on some land. I'd love to have some of these little guys around. I'd also love to build a nice outside enclosure for my own furbabies to be able to go outside without my worrying about them getting too far out of my sight.

We can all live our dreams through you:D

chico2
April 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
I've had a pretty miserable morning,but looking at your pics,make me realize it's sunny outside,no more snow,why feel miserable:laughing:

ancientgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Ancient..yes there are shows for our little Pygmy goats and for the mini donkeys. They are judged on conformation, presentation, color, behavior etc.
The goat shows are very much fun.We are going to our first donkey show this summer. It should be a riot...We will definitely have to control ourselves so we don't come home with any more donkeys.
that is how we got Sylvia-goat. We saw her at a goat show and she was for sale. We bought her on the spot...then had to go buy a dog crate to get her home.It was love at first sight...but we have never had much self control when it comes to animals......

I think you should go to that show with some extra room, just in case.:D

Frenchy
April 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Here is Diablo biting my stomach thru my coat...brat
His nose is sooo cute :cloud9:
I think most of us here love seeing pics of all your fuzzbutts. :lovestruck:

You are living the dream alot of us have. :cloud9:

Same here.

happycats
April 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Awwww what cute little bitey boys :cloud9: Maybe if you soak yourself in applebitter before you go out :D

FancyAppy
April 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Lukka..I think it will take 30 years haha...Well today when I got home I was determined to teach the boys something...and well, I was able to lead Pablo after about an hour and after a few gentle whacks on his nose, Diablo stopped biting..Progress!!!!!!!and then as I was walking away they both bit my butt in unison. I had to drag them with me attached to my butt to the gate.

FancyAppy
April 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Rainbow. ancient..Thank you so much for such nice comments about my darlings.coming here was our dream too . At times it seemed it would never happen...I realize every day how very lucky and blessed we are to have this little farm and our crazy assortment of creatures.
It is very hard work, sometimes frustrating when wells go dry and fences snap or mud just refuses to go away but then one look around on a sunny morning , hearing gentle goat calls, makes us smile.

Ancient.. Our winter pen for the goats/donkeys is only feet from our TVroom window so just like you said , I can see them, they don't get out of my site.
Till this fall the goats were free range but we can't do that now cause of the new porches. They will chew them up and poop on them and Hubby has put his foot down. no goats on the porch anymore. So we are building them a fence , a 15 acre feild all their own...but I will miss them laying around on the car and sprawled on the outside steps.....

Here are some pics of the farm from last spring.

FancyAppy
April 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Chico..I am so sorry your morning was trying. I have been there. Sometimes from the moment you get up everything goes wrong.I am glad my little scamps cheered you some and I hope your day has turned out better.

FancyAppy
April 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Frenchy
I woke up this morning and was upset cause there is so much mud and dirt. The winter goat pen is just dirt and I hate that and the horses are standing in 3 inches of mud.....The one thing I never thought about when I visioned our farm was that it would be ...well....so DIRTY! ..LOL...but as my husband says it bothers me more than the animals. They don't seem to care about the dirt and mud at all.
Just the same I will be happy when all my babies are walking on soft green grass again.

shane 123
April 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Been away from the forum for a while but this is where I came back to. I just had to look at these tiny creatures again. I think they're awesome, I've never seen any donkey or goat so tiny while being fully grown.

FancyAppy
April 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Shane..thank you so much. I am happy you enjoy these 2 little guys. Here are a couple more pics that show thier size next to normal size horses. Note our horses just don't know what to make of the donkey and the donkey is thinking "that is a really big goat!"

joeysmama
April 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
STOP IT !!!! There has to be a cuteness limit to this thread. I should be in bed but instead I'm in here cooing over these donkeys, and making my husband and son run in and look with every new picture !!

The little brats are ruining my beauty sleep !! OMG !!! I want one. And a goat too !!!

chico2
April 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Awww,look at how small he is OMG,sooo cute:lovestruck:
I have some friends who have 48 acres in the Hannover(ONT)area who want to get a couple of Donkeys,I never really understood why?
But you have showed me why,they are fun,they are cute,stubborn and lots of work:laughing:

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Aha, now I have a better idea as to their size. Now I know the goats are small because the donkeys are bigger than them, so I have a good idea now.

How cute! They're just so tiny and sweet and cuddly and I want them to live with me!:yell: