Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a Piebald Mini Daschund (short hair)

TGM6
March 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
First post on this forum, found alot of useful information!

I am looking for a Piebald (spotted) Miniature Daschund with short-hair such as the picture I have posted. If you have puppies or are planning on having puppies in the near future, I would like to get in contact with you as I would like to purchase one. Maybe you can refer me to someone that breeds this particular type of dog.

http://images.craigslist.org/01020701040501160520080325a8d481eb130f22f45c00854e .jpg

These dogs are very cute :goodvibes: and I am willing to travel up to 50 miles from my current home in Pittsburgh, PA.

MA'S ZOO
March 27th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Dear Thread... We Ourselves Are Looking For Another Pie Bald Baby.
From The Chicago Area Though.. Never Saw One Before But When We Found Ours Accidentally It Was Love At First Sight...she Is Red And White....if We Here Of Anyone Who Has One We Will Definately Let You Know... Ps Personality As Cute As She .............ma's Zoo

jessi76
March 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Have you contacted any daschund breed clubs? i.e. DCA.... http://www.dachshund-dca.org/

I'm no expert on doxies, but if I was looking for one, I'd start there.

LavenderRott
March 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Please be very careful looking for a dachshund breeder. These little guys have so many health problems that are genetic and can be avoided if they are properly bred.

Good luck in your search.

SnowDancer
March 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I strongly second LavenderRott's advice and Dachshunds are/were the dogs of my life. Re a Piebald, in case you don't know this, the more unusual the colouring in a dog (and Dachshunds in particular) the more likely the dog is to suffer from ailments common to the breed - often to a worse degree - and also from other diseases. I was warned about this after we adopted our Dappled Dachshund - turned out to be true. And who would have thought that his back/neck problems would be worse than our first worst-case scenario darling? (It was the Stage # of the disc problem that was worse - plus a few other problems.) If you do go ahead, please get a Dachshund that weighs at least 10 lbs. I have been horrified to meet some of the teacups that are being bred these days.

whitbit317
March 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have two doxies, and we've been very lucky to have no major health problems with either of them. I live in the US, so I can attest that it will be difficult to find a piebald s/h. It's a very rare color for the breed still. I would start out with the doxie club and just do some searches. In addition to the back problems, do be aware that the short-haired variety will come with some additional skin problems. They're great dogs and I wouldn't trade mine for the world, just be aware of what you're getting yourself into and definately have some money set back in case of an emergency vet visit.