Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bitch in season

fuzz24
March 27th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Hi my staffie bitch is in heat, i think, She definatly swollen, cleaning herself every couple of seconds it seems but i can't see any blood yet,the valva is red like it has been bleeding but when i wipe with a tissue again no blood. There was a clearish thick discharge from it,i noticed tuesday night while rubbing her belly. This is the first bitch i have ever had so unsure exactly what happens, know in principle but not personal experience. Btw sophie is about ten and a half months old, so this is her first season. Thanks for any help received

clm
March 27th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I've never had a female dog so I can't help you. I'd advise getting her spayed though, so you don't have to worry about her going into heat again.

Cindy

Love4himies
March 27th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I second clm's advice. Call your vet and make an appointment to have her spayed.

growler~GateKeeper
March 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Please keep her away from any unneutered males 10 months is way too young to have babies.

This is a very pro spay/neuter board, many members here work in rescue helping the unwanted pets dumped at the shelters or left outside to fend for themselves and many have seen these innocent pets euthanized because there aren't enough homes for them all.

Please have her spayed.

paula383
March 28th, 2008, 03:22 AM
sounds very much like shes coming in to season, when angel came into season to be honest there wasnt much blood, just keep her away from any males they will sniff her out a mile away.
Dont know how it works over there but here in the UK my vet wouldnt spay Angel till 3 months after her 1st season so she was 18 month before i could spay her.
i agree with the others you really need to have her done,
xxxxxxx

happycats
March 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM
sounds very much like shes coming in to season, when angel came into season to be honest there wasnt much blood, just keep her away from any males they will sniff her out a mile away.
Dont know how it works over there but here in the UK my vet wouldnt spay Angel till 3 months after her 1st season so she was 18 month before i could spay her.
i agree with the others you really need to have her done,
xxxxxxx

Here in Canada they do them at 6 months.

Love4himies
March 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Here in Canada they do them at 6 months.

Absolutely, perferably before their first heat. I don't know about dogs, but cats can go into heat as young as 4 or 5 months.