Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Once is a "mistake"...twice is just plain DUMB!!!

diandpat
March 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
In mid March I posted about a beautiful sheppard/BC X that I found wandering around on Pierrefond blvd wearing two collars and NO tags. I know for a fact he spent three nights at the pound before he was claimed by his owners.

Fast forward to yesterday and my neighbor is walking his dog and the SAME dog follows him home. My BF tells me the stray is back so I go over to my neighbor to see him. OMG, he saw me and started crying and came running over to lick me :cloud9: I check his collar (only one this time) and still NO tag!!!! Call the pound to ask them to inform the owners he is back and sure enough no one can read the paperwork at the pound :mad: The lady does some internet searching and figures things out. Of course no one is home, no answering machine.

After five hours from the time the dog was "found", the owners came to get him. Again, they use the excuse that he keeps escaping from hoping over the fence from the snow banks. "he keeps escaping"!!!!!! For God's sake, set it up so he can't escape!!!! These people live way east of here and Pierrefonds blvd is a very busy street with school and city buses and city trucks driving constantly. I am terrified this dog is going to end up dead if he "keeps escaping".
:wall::wall::wall:

Frenchy
March 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Again, they use the excuse that he keeps escaping from hoping over the fence from the snow banks.

Yep , it's the dog's fault. :wall: digging near the fence was the first thing I did when we got that last snowstorm , even if my dogs wouldn't even try , you never know. These people don't deserve to be pet owners. :mad:

Jim Hall
March 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM
next time kkep the dog for a few days

hazelrunpack
March 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM
With luck the snow will melt and there won't be a next time :fingerscr

At least till next winter...sigh... :frustrated:

badger
March 26th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Do people have to pay to spring their pets from the pound? If you have to pony up 60-70$ every time your dog got loose, wouldn't that be an incentive?

I was on the way to the store yesterday and saw this young dog lollygagging along near the park. Looked around to see if his human was bringing up the rear, as is often the case. No-one. So I followed the dog (classic shepherdXlab in gorgeous condition), who was busy enjoying his freedom and he came right up to me. He let me lead him back to my place by hanging on to his very loose collar. He did have tags, a rabies tag and a custom medallion with his name and a telephone number.

When I brought him into the apartment, a good half of the cats sprang into Hallowe'en mode, arched backs, hissing and spitting. Wheezy invited him to put up his dukes immediately. He was a complete lamb, didn't blink an eye. I ended up tying him on the back porch, to avoid a complete breakdown in civic order. Left a message on a machine. A woman called me within minutes to say he had escaped from her backyard, five or six blocks from where I found him. She thought maybe a local bitch was in heat and he had taken advantage of an open gate to follow her. It was a happy reunion. But you know, anyone could have picked him up and kept him, he was such a friendly guy. Also intact; she said she was thinking of having him snipped so I think this story may have a second happy ending.

Love4himies
March 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Poor dog, he doesn't realize the dangers, that is why the humans have to make decisions to keep him safe.

I like your expression, once is a mistake, twice is just plain dumb, reminds me of the expression: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Loosing a dog a second time due to the same circumstances shows me they have no concern over the dogs safety.

ancientgirl
March 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

If you were president Bush you would never be able to finish that sentence, he had trouble with that a while back.:laughing:

diandpat, if it happens again, perhaps you should keep him a few days, just so they realize one day they might not get him back if they don't do something to keep him from getting out.

Love4himies
March 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
If you were president Bush you would never be able to finish that sentence, he had trouble with that a while back.:laughing:

:laughing::laughing: I don't understand how he got in for a second term:confused:.

ancientgirl
March 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM
:laughing::laughing: I don't understand how he got in for a second term:confused:.

:frustrated: Believe me, neither do most of us. LOL, I saw a bumper sticker the other day with an election background picture and the caption read "Someone less dumber":laughing:

Rainy
March 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I hate to tell you but if that is a 40*ish* pound black pooch then EVERY freaking year this dog wanders Pierrefonds,Des Cageux area.........Last year I lived on Legault and this dog was always seen about 9:30 to 11:00 mornings Is it the same dog?

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Do people have to pay to spring their pets from the pound? If you have to pony up 60-70$ every time your dog got loose, wouldn't that be an incentive?

Nah, they'd just leave the dog and claim it was too expensive. Great excuse to be rid of the poor animal.

jealma
March 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM
You'd think they would not let the dog out without supervision if he can manage to get out of the yard.

diandpat
March 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Rainy, it doesn't sound like the same dog. I think this guy is probably only a year old. Here is the original thread with his picture.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50472

jealma, one would think he would remain supervised...at the very least I was expecting to see some ID tags on his collar. :loser: Poor guy. He really is a sweety. I don't think he has the best guardians in the world. He does not have very good manners and he is extremely thin. Doesn't know "sit" and has no interest in treats or toys...something about all this bugs me...A LOT!!!! :frustrated:

If I find him again... :rolleyes:

diandpat
April 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
I knew this story wasn't over...gut feeling! I just spoke to the little girl whose family found Tiger the second time and apparently Tiger's owner called to ask them if they wanted him as they don't want him any more and are getting rid of him...A NINE-TWELVE MONTH OLD INTACT PUPPY !!!!! :wall::wall::wall:

Poor pooch, hasn't had a chance :cry:

I asked her to give me his number. I'll see if one of the rescues will list him if I foster him. Would love to keep him but he really "unbalances" our otherwise quiet home.

Un frigging believable :headslap: