Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! I think my dog hurt her leg

geoffh4
March 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I have a 1 year old lab mix dog. She has luxating patellas in both knees, both very low grade. As such, she has always been skittish on our wood floors.

On Sunday, she was walking down the hallway and started to slip a bit, so she pannicked and tried to sprint for the nearest carpeting. She slipped and fell, but didn't yelp or anything. She picked up her right leg and held it lame. I thought it was her patella, so felt the area so I could help her relax move the ligament back into place. Unfortunately, there was nothing wrong with her patella but her leg was still up.

Now its been 3 days, and I feel like things have gone from bad to good and back to bad. After 20 minutes, she was back to walking normally and seemed fine. She played in the back yard, etc. Yesterday she played a lot as well, but I could tell she wasn't putting any serious weight on her leg. Going up nd down stairs was basically on 3 legs. At the end of the evening she was again refusing to put her leg down, so I separated her from our other dog and made her go to sleep. This morning she seemed super stiff, and when I got home from work today, she was very ginger with it.

If I let her outside, she still wants to run full speed, and uses all 4 legs (although its clear she is putting less weight on her injured leg).

What should I do? Im hesitant to take her to the vet if its nothing but a sprain or a muscle pull, but if its something serious like ligament damage or something I'm worried it will be worse if we wait too long. Any help is apreciated@

LavenderRott
March 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
It could be anything from a bruised muscle to a cruciate ligament tear.

Personally, I would be headed to the vet to find out.

t.pettet
March 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't wait any longer to see a vet and you might add carpet runners in your hallway to prohibit any future injuries.

geoffh4
March 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've got a call in to my vet to see what they say, but of course, today she seems "better"

This morning she again went down the stairs using 3.5 legs (only touching her hurt leg every 2nd or 3rd stair), but when she got outside, she was walking/moving normally.

As for the floors, I don't really know what we can do. Our bottom floor is carpeted and our top floor is wood. None of our other animals have any problem, and its normally not a problem for her either. However, she is so anxious on the floor that if she has any trouble, she completely freaks out. We have rugs in all the rooms and runners as well, but its going from rug to rug or runner to runner that gets her

geoffh4
March 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Update:

I spoke with my vet, and she told me to give her anti-inflammatories for 2 weeks and watch for signs of improvement. If things don't get better, she wants me to bring her in. They perscribed her "Rimmadyl"