Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Love my furbabies..hate the fur!!!

lm9012
March 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
How do you guys deal with the shedding? My routine of vacuming, sweeping, Swiffering, then mopping is just insane!! :wall:
I only have hardwood floors thank goodness. But it seems like no matter what i do, I can't go one day without hair! My dog gets full reign of the couch. I try to cover the couch with blankets so he doesn't get fur on the couch, but it somehow still does, not to mention all over the floor. At any given time, I have a foster dog with us as well..so then it's double hair!! Any good tips or products that you guys have found useful???

I did just buy the Furminator and I've been using it. I just can't use it for the full 30 minutes suggested! I usually do it for 10 minutes or so then I stop! What do you guys do??

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have 8 English Setters.

I brush them every day.

I vacuum every day...but only once.

I ignore any hairballs that manage to escape. :rolleyes:

I disavow any knowledge of hair in the food if we have dinner guests. :D

Frankly, if you have a dog, you're going to have at least some hair. Eventually, you just get used to it. :shrug: We do cover our furniture with neutral colored slip covers--tight-woven--and have more than one so we can shake them out and wash them often.

ETA: Don't ask me about bedspreads... :laughing:

One thing you might want to explore is what your dog is eating. I've read elsewhere on the board that a good quality food can reduce shedding, as can some fish-oil supplements, but I'm no expert. :o

Amee
March 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Our little Roxy just got here but we have had lots of other dogs here and I have a routine I do every there day LOL. I have hardwood, tile and some carpet in my house. I use the swiffer wet on my hardwood and tile and then I vaccum my carpet. Our couches are leather so I keep a blanket on it and wash it as needed. I also brush Roxy and the other dogs that have been here everyday.

lm9012
March 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
The shedding isn't a health issue, my dog is home fed and gets omega 3 supplements along with other supplements and vitamins. He has kidney disease, so he's on a very strict diet. Even before the kidney problems, he was on high-quality stuff and it didn't matter. He's just HAIRY! He's a jack russell mix. When we adopted him he was so dirty that his hair was slicked back tightly on his body and it looked, well short! Boy were we shocked the first time we bathed him and discovered this mountain lion underneath!!! :laughing:

We groom him once a month with doggie clippers, and he gets brushed at least once a week, I know I know I need to do it more often! He is just sooo handsome with his full coat, I know if we shaved him down it would help. But I just don't want to!! It's still cold out here anyway.

It is a fact of life I know! I have a job where I work very long hours and I will be honest, I can't clean every day. I'm just frustrated that my weekends are spent de-fuzzing! My boyfriend and I have seperate 'house clothes'..casual clothes that we wear at home to sit on the couch and stuff because our nice street/work clothes will be covered in fur.

LOL! I laughed at the hair in the food! How true is that?? We joke that Albert's DNA is all over us! It follows us to work, to bed, you name it!! But we love him!!

Tommysmom
March 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, jacks shed A LOT:laughing:. I never realized that before, and I thought since they are little that it wouldn't be a problem... but mine sheds more than any dog I've ever had! It's rather deceptive, you can't really tell from looking at them how much thick, thick fur they really have.

Is yours a long haired one? You'll find that using clippers tends to make a terrier's coat worse, not better, as they lose the oils and waterproofing and the coat gets fuzzier each time it grows in. I've found that shedding rakes are the best on mine, they really dig out the dead hairs but it does need to be done fairly often - a few minutes every other day or so makes a big difference. You can get a stripping knife and clean him up that way, but then it changes the way they look - it takes out all the long hairs - and I haven't tried that, I want my little fuzzy guy to still look fuzzy.

I just bought a furminator to try on mine, but so far it seems to do pretty much the same as the shedding rake... I haven't used it much though, so I guess I'll see when I get a chance to do a full brushing with it (my jack HATES to be brushed:frustrated:).

clm
March 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
My dogs don't shed much, but the cats, OMG. It's unbelievable.
A friend of mine has always had dobies, and I'm always so surprised at how much they shed. You think a short haired breed isn't going to shed much, but it seems it's the opposite for some reason.

Cindy

dogcatharmony
March 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
We have officially declared dog hair in our food as extra fibre in our house. Although I only have to deal with dog hair in spring and early winter, my girl blows coat twice a year and doesn't lose a hair inbetween, I haven't found a fool proof way to deal with the hair. For the cats I changed their food and that greatly reduced the amount of hair coming off them. I have made many a new friend over dog hair on my clothes....LOL....funny what strikes up a conversation in a line up. I now have accepted dog hair as an accessory, orange hair can look stunning on a black sweater.

I have to say that when they end up with a peice of human hair hanging out of their mouths and they give you that look that says "ewwwww, that wasn't food"........if only they could learn to accept it.:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
March 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Well, I've got little advice other than just brushing and vacuuming. I've got cats and well, don't get me started on the hair. I've even gotten to where I think I've got hair in my mouth all the time, and sometimes I do and it's not mine!:eek:

krdahmer
March 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM
FUR. On the floor, on the furniture, on your clothes, in your computer tower, stuck to the walls, in the food, up your nose, in your mouth and inevitably in your eye as well. :shrug::rolleyes: That's just the life of an animal lover!:laughing:

I vacuum at least 2-3 times a week and swiffer almost daily, and yet there are always tumblefurs rolling down the hall from who knows where! And at least once a month I have to take the swiffer to the walls.

And as for that furminator... sure works alright, but try to get one of these cats to sit still for 30 minutes! And I swear short hairs shed more than long...when I pet Asker I am left in a swirling mess of tiny soft furs just itching to get behind my eyeball!:eek::laughing:

SARAH
March 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I have given up :laughing: I pick up fur-fluff-balls when I pass them on the stairs and in corners, sweep if there are too many all of a sudden, vacuum once a week (hey, I've got a life too)

Upstairs it's ok, wood and tiles; but downstairs ... that carpet :yell: it's pink (or it was) with spots that aren't ours; and near-invisible dog-fur stuck to it along with very visible, black Misti fur! And the vacuum cleaner nozzle ... never mind! :loser: I have to use the brushing attachement, roll the fur into saussages and pick them up with the tube (nozzle off)! Takes forever, a real workout too!

Hair in food? :confused: There's hair in the food :confused: :eek: I can't imagine how that happened :rolleyes: :D we only have 2x :dog: & 2x :cat: after all :confused: :laughing:

ancientgirl
March 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I sometimes think my place is like a mini western town. With small tumbleweeds of kitty hair along with bits of tracked litter looking much like gravel. All I can do is sweep, vacuum and pick up what I see. I think it's impossible to keep ones home totally hair free, especially if you have more than one pet.

lm9012
March 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
ok, I don't feel so bad now! It is a fact of life, our furbabies own us, not the other way around I know!! :D I loved all your responses guys!

Tommysmom: your jack is just gorgous!! he looks pure bred. Mine's mixed, he's actually bigger, closer to 40 lbs!! :o His hair is very unique. It is long for the most part and he really needs grooming on a regular basis. He gets Dr. Seuss paws if we don't trim him up!! He also grows this long goatee and bushy 'eyebrows' that begin to cover his eyes even!! That's why his name is Albert, cuz he looked like Einstein to us! This little old man face all serious. :laughing:Then he has this 'mane' around his neck that when freshly showered goes curly! I've attached pics..the one with the hankerchief is from his first day home. His hair looks SHORT! He was just so dirty straight from the shelter! :yuck: He'd just been neutered so we couldn't bathe him right away, but once we did...we got the next pic!! This is him, freshly groomed mind you! and still...that's my furball right there! His hair is soft and silky and I just love him so much!

The furminator DOES help, but yea you need to use it like 30 minutes straight in the beginning and I get so busy I don't have time, I can't believe how much hair it takes out. But you have to be religious about it and then supposedly you can go 4-6 weeks without needing it. I'll keep trying.

Sarah! I just 'discovered' the brush attachment myself! At least I can 'collect' the fur all over my couches, then yea I need to take the attachment off, pick up the fur balls I made and let the hose suck them up. I then go through my house with the nozzle vacumming all the little fur 'tumbleweed' scragglers that my broom, swiffer mop, and regular mop MISSED!!! :wall:

ancientgirl
March 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
He sure is a cutie. It's hard to believe short hair pets shed so much. I have a furminator too, but it's hard enough to get them to sit still for a few minutes, let alone 30!

hazelrunpack
March 26th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Oh, he sure is a doll! :lovestruck: The fuzzy look becomes him! :D

paula383
March 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM
with it just coming into spring we hav furballs everywhere :D my 2 greyhound Xs dont shed much, but my greyhound which ive just rescued, who had been outside till i got him oh my god i could have made a coat from him :laughing: the cats are not sheding to much but the rabbit i hav tumbleweed rabbit fluff all over my kitchen in the morning :laughing:and with it being so fine it gets everywhere, i swear im the one coughing up furballs. i had to bath him the other day so its not to bad at the minute, but i wouldnt change it for the world :D

chico2
March 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Cat-hair is just part of my life and always has been:laughing:
I still remember one day we had an insurance-person here in a dark suit:laughing:before I could stop him,he sat down on Peppis(:rip:) sleeping-spot.
Needless to say,the poor man left with a white furry butt:laughing:and no I did not say a thing,me bad:cat:

kiara
March 29th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Chico, you're too funny. I have two cats, a long haired tortie. She sometimes gags out a nasty hairball. And a short haired half-siamese, that loves to eat my plants, often find plant vomit on the floor. They both love being brushed and they get brushed several times a week. I also foster and have cats here all the time. So never ending cleaning! Hair and dander is just a part of being a pet owner and a foster mom. But what would we do without our pets?