Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Burlington Off Leash Park – Be there or be Square

Elizabeth Ann
March 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hi there, I know I am new to this group but already I feel very welcomed.

I have just started taking Tonka and Gizmo to the off leash park in Burlington and was wondering if any fellow forum members wanted to join me (the park is on King Road, just north of the north service road).

I am asking purely for selfish reasons (I am sorry). My boyfriend and I have purchased a tent trailer and plan on doing A LOT of camping over the summer. There is just one little problem… my dogs are not really the most socialized dogs in the world and bark at EVERYTHING. I am hoping that repeating trips to dog park will help them get used to having not only people but other dogs around.

This in hope of not getting kicked off a campground because our dogs misbehaving.

Anyways I will be there this Saturday around 10 am.

Elizabeth Ann
March 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
It's going to be a great day.

Plus 5 and sunny.

wdawson
March 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
i know the park.....i used too fly my remote plane just south of there.....
for me dog parks are a recipe for disaster.....my maggie is too small and my beathoven...being pit cross would have to be muzzled so he has no defense against aggressive dogs......plus not all people keep shots and vet checks up todate.....you might be better off finding a popular trail to go for hike where people take their dogs.....the dundas rail trail is good....its on sulpher springs road where it meets mineral springs road.

Elizabeth Ann
March 26th, 2008, 07:25 PM
We put a muzzle on Tonka. As I mentioned he is not very well socialized so he does tend to snap, not bite but snap. The first time we ever took him to the park he didn't have a muzzle on and he snapped at another dog. Next think I over hear is the other people in the park talking about him... we just went home and didn't go back for months. We got over that and say "to heck with those people, we know our dog and it's not going to stop us from running our dogs"

As for shots and such... you take that risk ever time you take your dog somewhere other dogs are or have been. Even down at Spencer Smith Park... I will never be able to socialize Tonka if I am scared to take him where other dogs and people are.

Anyhow, we will be there on Saturday, muzzle and all.

(there was a weaton with a muzzle on last weekend just call us responsible dog owners)

wdawson
March 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
We put a muzzle on Tonka. As I mentioned he is not very well socialized so he does tend to snap, not bite but snap. The first time we ever took him to the park he didn't have a muzzle on and he snapped at another dog. Next think I over hear is the other people in the park talking about him... we just went home and didn't go back for months. We got over that and say "to heck with those people, we know our dog and it's not going to stop us from running our dogs"

As for shots and such... you take that risk ever time you take your dog somewhere other dogs are or have been. Even down at Spencer Smith Park... I will never be able to socialize Tonka if I am scared to take him where other dogs and people are.

Anyhow, we will be there on Saturday, muzzle and all.

(there was a weaton with a muzzle on last weekend just call us responsible dog owners)

i don't doubt your a responsible owner and there are many....its the couple i worry about....as far as the risk of taking the dogs to some place other dogs have been.....i can control what they sniff,eat or lick more than i can face to face contact at the off leash park.....guess i'm just paranoid:shrug:

Elizabeth Ann
March 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't call it paranoid I would say cautious. It's better to be overly cautious then not cautious enough.

Tommysmom
March 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'd love a chance to socialize Tommy, but we can't do dog parks - Tommy has no idea how to act around other dogs and just ends up either getting run over or hiding around all the people instead. We went to a small dog park in Oakville every week last summer trying to get him used to it (it was usually fairly quiet, and most of the dogs there were from our training classes) and it just didn't work. Have fun, though!

If you guys in the Hamilton/Burlington area want to arrange a get together this summer though (maybe at a house or something so no muzzles necessary just due to breed!) we'd be up for that! Tommy is just starting to finally come out of his shell a bit and stop being terrified of anything on four legs, I'd rather ensure that he is only socialized around doggies I know (or at least, doggies who's owners I sorta cyber-know:laughing:).

Elizabeth Ann
March 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Yes, I would be up to a summer meet on a lower key then a dog park. The more socializing I can do the better. And it seem like you people are a pretty good bunch (but I have always liked dog people).

Story about last week - Gizmo it's just around 9 lbs and has always had "Little Dog Syndrome". The first time he went to the dog park he just hid behind me and snapped at all the larger dogs. But last Saturday was a totally different story. I don’t know what got into him but he was right up with the big dogs and chasing them around as though he was 100lbs. And then on Saturday he tried to chase a greyhound. When ever he heard the bigger dogs play fighting he had to get right up to see what was going on.

And both Saturday and Sunday a bigger dog (different dogs each day) became quite smitten with The Giz and followed him around the whole time we were there. Gizmo didn’t mind and maybe that’s where he got his gusto from, but you could have pushed me other with a feather as I was watching.

That is why I am so keen on going back. When camping there are more large dogs then little dogs and I really want Gizmo to get over at barking at them all the time.

Tonka on the other hand has been scared of everything that has feet (not just four). He is a REALLY good looking dog so almost everyone wants to pet him and get to know him but since he is scared that usually ends up with him snapping (again, not biting but snapping). Hence why I put the muzzle on him.

With me he is the biggest suck in the world. I can (but I don’t) drag him around the room by one paw and I am sure he would just look at me like “you’re a crazy lady” rather then biting me.

Anyways – back on topic… any time anyone wants to get together with their dogs in the area please let me know. I am totally up for it.

Elizabeth Ann
March 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
So I went today (didn't get there until 11 thought).

It was super muddy and there was this one dog that just would not leave Tonka alone. This other dog kept trying to have his way with Tonka. It was a good think that Tonka had his muzzle on.

I will most likely go back tomorrow or at least next Saturday.