Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Homeless at 13

badger
March 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
My vet's office just called. An elderly client died last week, leaving behind a 13-year old cat. The nephew brought him in to be euthanized. He is declawed and of course neutered and has no health issues. Since he has lived all his life with this one person, he is naturally quite fearful but is already beginning to warm up to the staff at the clinic. So I think this guy could have a beautiful second life, if someone would just give him a chance.

I know this is a pointless exercise, but I said I would do my best. I'll have a picture later.

Jim Hall
March 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
it is cetainly not pointless you dont know until you try right?:thumbs up

cpietra16
March 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
13 is not old and this is not pointless....Don't give up...there are people out there that want an older cat...

SARAH
March 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
13? There are cats who live to be 26. He's barely middle aged poor pussycat! Surely someone will prefer not to have to put up with litterbox training and kitten antics :rolleyes: although they are cute, they can be destructive as well. :D :fingerscr for this little guy.

poodletalk
March 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
My Aunt adopted her cat when she was 12! Muffin looks and acts like a kitten, no one would ever believe her age.

SARAH
March 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Poodletalk, I just noticed your Club Soda NOT seals! :thumbs up :thumbs up

poodletalk
March 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
:offtopic: Thanks Sarah, I went to the seal hunt protest two weeks ago on St.Catherine Street and Mcgill. (Some people went partically nude, (NOT me though) : You have to show some flesh to save some flesh. I have a seal hunt protest on another thread, which you can respond too if your interested. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50492

Back to the topic: I really hope the 13 year old cat gets adopted soon. How long is the vet willing to keep her

badger
March 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM
It's a male. Looks like he's OK until Friday (unless the nephew insists on them going ahead, which happens quite often) and I'm hoping the weekend as well. There are also a couple of technicians who take animals home for the weekend, in a pinch.
The clinic really does try to avoid putting down healthy animals but I think they probably fail more often than they succeed :( and then there are the legalities. Some people are not interested in seeing their animal re-homed, they just want it done.

Frenchy
March 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM
omg :sad:

:pray: that someone adopts him :fingerscr

SARAH
March 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Some people are not interested in seeing their animal re-homed, they just want it done.

But it's not even his animal to begin with :yell: poor little kitty, inocent little being who lost his mommy and might have to pay that loss with his own life? We're not in ancient Egypt where people were burried with their mumified cats!!

badger
March 25th, 2008, 11:21 PM
So here is Mousse, plus a note from the clinic -
The owner passed away last week (nice little old lady) - her nephew came to get the cat put down since he did not have time to take care of the cat since he is the one taking care of his aunt...but he was nice enough to give us until Friday to find a home for Mousse.
Mousse has some character (hisses and slaps us with his paws, although does not bite) but he is slowly getting used to the staff. He is sterilised and is 13 years old. Has a slight heart murmur and had a small lower urinary tract infection which was treated with antibiotics.

growler~GateKeeper
March 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: for Mousse :lovestruck:

Someone please save this sweet kitty :pray: :goodvibes:

clm
March 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Poor kitty, must be so confused and scared after everything he's known for the past 13 years has just been ripped away from him. I hope someone gives this pretty cat a loving home for the rest of his life.

Cindy

catsnatcher-CDN
March 26th, 2008, 06:31 AM
poor kitty!

Too bad the son doesn't know that it takes almost no effort to care for a cat.

SARAH
March 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hey, so he slaps and hisses, I think anyone would after being torn from a home they've known for 13 years and losing the one person who really cared! Give the poor little guy a break :frustrated:

:goodvibes: and :fingerscr for Mousse!

14+kitties
March 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM
:pray: :fingerscr:goodvibes: and whatever else it takes to get this boy a home. So very sad.

poodletalk
March 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I sent out an email to my contacts, hopefully someone will come through. :fingerscr

badger
March 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks Poodletalk. I've been thinking about Mousse all day. I'm anxious that the nephew will push to have him put down at the end of the week. This happened once before and the vets somehow felt obligated and went ahead. I remember saying at the time, to the guy who is my 'contact' there - why didn't you just lie and say he had been re-homed?
If we could just get Mousse off the premises, then no-one has to lie and he gets a chance at a new life.
:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr

badger
March 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
bump bump
Sorry, can't get this guy off my mind. He only has two more days :sad:.

catsnatcher-CDN
March 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I'll spread the word.:sad:

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I didn't get any replies, I have some "facebook" people that I am going to send this too. :fingerscr

Can you PM me your phone number just incase I get any replies, so people can contact you and you can contact your contact.

The vet is located in the Plateau right?

chico2
March 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
OMG,could the vet not just have the nephew sign over the ownership of the cat??
Then a rescue might be able to step in:confused:or a foster,anything but euthanazia.
If my sons would do that to any of my cats,I would haunt them forever:evil:
:pray:for Mousse and a kitty:angel2:

badger
March 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I am shameless, when it comes to Mousse.

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
No replies yet:sad:

catsnatcher-CDN
March 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
nothing from here either...yet

badger
March 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I just spoke to the vet's office. No progress there. Tomorrow is definitely his last day, according to the woman who answered the phone. They are open until 8 tonight. God knows when it will happen tomorrow, whenever it's convenient for the vets, I guess.
If someone with a spare room would agree to foster him, we could get busy and find him a permanent home. I am happy to help with this, put up posters, etc.
But time is against us :sad:.

:pray::pray::pray:

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I may have someone to foster him/her but I won't know till 5pm. If the lady can't foster him/her, someone else offered to pay for his boarding at another vet clinic.

I have to work tomorrow...the ladies don't drive...how is the cat going to get from point A to point B.

Point B is about 20 minute car drive away

14+kitties
March 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Gawd this thread is so bloody heartbreaking. I only wish I was closer. I told hubby. He, of course, said no, you have enough.I don't really care. I could tell him it was a stray. :rolleyes: But it breaks my heart every time I read this. :sad:
Poodletalk - I hope one of your ladies comes through. :pray:
badger - :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: ty for caring. I can't begin to imagine how you feel. I guess this is one of those times when your mantra is repeated non stop.
PLEASE someone take him in!!!

badger
March 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Don't worry about the transport, I'll figure it out. I'll walk there if necessary. 20 minutes from where? it doesn't take much to confuse me :laughing:
Can I be a little hopeful here?

:fingerscr

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
From where he is now to Westmount.

I was in a meeting when the lady called, to tell me she would be willing to pay for his boarding. I just called her back and got her voicemail. :wall:

chico2
March 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
what a terible nailbiter this is:cry:
That nephew cannot possibly be so coldhearted that he wants the cat killed rather than rescued.
:goodvibes::goodvibes:to you girls trying your darndest to save Mousses life:goodvibes:
Badger I can just imagine how very difficult this is for you:grouphug:

duttypaws
March 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
thats great :fingerscr

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
The lady who we are waiting for to say "yes or no" to fostering still isn't home.

The other lady agreed to pay for his boarding if the other lady says NO!

I didn't have achance to ask her if I could give you her phone number badger,since she had to hang up quick since someone was at her door!

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
GREAT NEWS! The lady won't foster him she's going to adopt him!

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I just called Badger to tell her the good news, no answer at her place :wall::wall:

I hope the vet doesn't do anything to the cat...:fingerscr

duttypaws
March 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM
oh yaaaaaay... talking of luck!!!! :)

phoozles
March 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I believe the deadline was tomorrow so :fingerscr that the vet will hold off until then! :goodvibes:

badger
March 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Mousse has a home! All thanks go to Poodletalk (Angela) who found someone with lots of experience in cat rescue and the space to welcome him.
HURRAH!!!
I just called the vet. They will hold him until Saturday, when I will take him over to his new digs.
Thanks to everyone who was pulling for Mousse, I know it helped.

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM
YEAH!!!! I'm so happy!!!
Did you speak to his new mom?

phoozles
March 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Great news! :highfive:

badger
March 27th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, I spoke to Edith (I had called her cell phone but left no message) and then she passed me to Anna. I liked them both immediately :laughing:
I plan on calling the clinic again later to make sure everyone knows this cat is spoken for. Just don't want any tragic mistakes.
One of the techs cried when we found a home for that Maine Coon last year, remember? I know they hate euthanizing healthy animals, so this is a relief for them as well.
I think I'll have a drink :p

poodletalk
March 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Enjoy your drink, I have to work overtime.

Edith is a great lady so is her daughter.

14+kitties
March 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Please give that :angel: a huge huge :grouphug:for me!!!!!!! I am so very happy to hear Mousse has a home!!!!!!!!!! What fantastic news!!!!!! I have been crabby all afternoon with a swollen face and pain from root canal. This certainly helps the mood. :rolleyes:
OH MY DOG!!!!!!! HE HAS A HOME
YES, YES, YES!!!
GREAT WORK BADGER AND POODLETALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frenchy
March 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM
GREAT NEWS! The lady won't foster him she's going to adopt him!
omg omg !!!! :highfive:

I think I'll have a drink :p

You go ahead and have a couple Badger, you deserve them !!! :D

You girls rock !!!!! :highfive: :angel: :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
March 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM
YAY!!!!! I'm so glad Mousse will have a home now :grouphug: for everyone involved :D

This is AWESOME news :thumbs up :highfive:

chico2
March 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM
OMG,Badger,Poodletalk what can I say,you are just simple wonderful,with hearts of gold:cat:
A big hug to you and the lady who took mercy on Mousse,without even meeting him,definetly made my otherwise miserable morninghttp://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble1/19.gif

SARAH
March 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I was almost scared to open this thread today, and then I scroll down and see HURRAY and I knew Mousse was safe.

Thank you to all who helped this little cat :cloud9: I could cry ! :D

poodletalk
March 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I just got an email from another lady who wants to adopt Mousse. I told her, he was adopted and she asked, is there any other cats who need rescuing?!

What a question!!

Anyways, I will send her some of your cats who need a home Badger and I know of couple of other cats in the SouthShore who need homes too. Lets see what happens.

badger
March 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM
OH

Poodletalk, do you know what kind of cat she's looking for? Is your email addy still on clickhere? I'd like to send you some pics.

luckypenny
March 28th, 2008, 10:15 AM
What a warm fuzzy feeling this thread gives me :cloud9: .

You ladies are wonderful :thumbs up .

poodletalk
March 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Yes badger, that's my email address. I just sent her some pics of the 5 cats available in Brossard. Please send me over your pics too. I have no idea what she's looking for.She's my friends co-worker.

catsnatcher-CDN
March 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Wow! All these rescues being adopted ...even during kitten season!
Maybe there's more hope that I thought.

What a week for the rescues on the board! :thumbs up

BusterKitty
March 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
WOOHOO!

Congrats on the successful adoption!:thumbs up

I just got an email from another lady who wants to adopt Mousse. I told her, he was adopted and she asked, is there any other cats who need rescuing?!

What a question!!

Wow, we don't hear that regularly. I just wish there were more people like this in the world:cloud9:

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just chewed one nail off reading through this whole thread! :eek:

:rip: fingernail...you died unnecessarily because poodletalk and badger came through for the kitty!!!!! :highfive: WooooHooooooo!

What a wonderful ending...er...make that a wonderful beginning! :D

Love4himies
March 29th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I am so glad you found a home for Mousse. I have been thinking of him and :pray: that somebody would come through.

Good work, guys!

poodletalk
March 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Badger, give us an update when you drop Mouse off at Ana's today.

Frenchy
March 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Did I mention that you girls rocked ? :D

:clap:

kiara
March 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM
The best thing to do is go to your local old age homes. A lot of them are pet friendly. Good luck.

badger
April 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Alas, Mousse's placement didn't work out. It was way too hectic for an old man (many thanks to Anna and Edith, who offered to take him in and who sacrifice so much to help needy cats, far more than I would ever be prepared to do).

So I brought him home to my bathroom. We had spent all day on metros and buses so he was a bit the worse for wear. He wouldn't eat. On day 2 I called the vet and asked to give him some Cipro (which I had on hand). It worked almost immediately! I decided to give it to him for another day or two. Bad decision. He began to have problems peeing. I checked on the internet to see if there was a downside to Cipro, found that it 'should not be given to cats who have experienced urinary blocage'. Mousse had just been treated for a urinary infection and was on his way to forming crystals. :censored:

He is darling fellow, very small, with tiny feet, so neat and polite. He has obviously led quite a sheltered life. I inadvertently left the door open this morning and all the boys came flooding in, Coco the ninja woman leading the way. She was only interested in reclaiming the window sill, where she spends most of the day, supervising the starlings who are building in the ceiling of my back porch. Others made a bee-line for the litterbox (this is mine) or the food (this must be mine). Basically, they reclaimed their territory :laughing: Mousse was as cool as a cucumber, even withstood a couple of kissy faces.

Most of you know my situation. If it wasn't so delightful, it would be intolerable. Mousse must go. This cat has been treasured, it is so clear to me. So if you know of any kind soul, perhaps someone with an older cat who could use some company, even someone with the right kind of dog who never thought of getting a cat....until now. Or a young family, why not?

Desperately yours...

poodletalk
April 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
What happened to my friends co-worker, I know she planned on seeing him this weekend?

growler~GateKeeper
April 5th, 2008, 11:50 PM
awww poor Mousse. I'm so glad that he was given the second & now third chance.

:thankyou: Badger for all you do :grouphug:

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Mousse

proudfosterdad
April 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
That Is Really Sad :sorry:
Poor Cat
My Heart Is Looking Out For Him:fingerscr

phoozles
April 7th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Aww - I was hoping to see some "forever home" pics of Mousse :sad:

Hopefully he'll be on the road again soon, and this time for good! :goodvibes: :fingerscr:goodvibes:

rainbow
April 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
:o I just read this entire thread now ....so sad. :sad:

I hope Mousse finds a forever home soon. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

badger
April 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I do too. He is such a sweetheart, needs some weight on him; I suspect there have been a few missed meals lately, due to the stress of his mother dying and then being hauled off to the clinic. He's eating OK now and is peeing well.
The clinic gave me his history today. In 2006, he had three bouts of a urinary infection and was treated with Clamavox and put on Royal Canin Urinary O/S. No episodes since. I'm willing to bet it was at least partly situational; maybe his mother went to hospital or there was some other family drama. Just speculating.
He has the lowest grade of heart murmur.
Otherwise, he's a healthy boy. Tiny little paws and a rat's tail but otherwise quite pretty, gorgeous eyes.
Not a lap cat yet, but could become one!

chico2
April 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Badger,I think many people who do not know cats,or any pet for that matter,don't realize how much the loss of a loving owner means to them:sad:
I feel especially cats,are such creatures of habits,upsetting their world can cause all kinds of problems.
Just taking your cat to the vet and seeing the relief when he's back home,is enough proof of that.
Mousse has a lot of adjusting to do and I hope whoever adopts him:pray:will give him time,time to adjust to a new life..
When my son got his now 14yr old Sheltie Trixie,after the owner passed,Trixie would sit by the front-door for weeks,waiting for her owner to come get her.
I am sure Mousse is in turmoil too..

NoahGrey
April 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
oooooooo I hope he finds his forever home. What happened to Poodles contacts?

ACO22

badger
April 14th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Moussey is still here, holding his own with the mob, whom he more or less ignores. He is a very calm fellow, keeps to himself but doesn't hide. He enjoys lying on me when I am horizontal in front of the TV - prime real estate! Yesterday I caught him playing. All good signs.
No forever home as yet :sad:. His age should really not be a barrier; he is not on any medication, eats and drinks well. I feed him in the crate, safe from raiders, and when I start lining up the bowls he goes in there by himself and waits quietly for his share. Such a gentleman.
Moussey-man.