Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tick hiding in eye surrounding

SparklingSparky
March 25th, 2008, 12:55 AM
My dog recently have some ticks, even after apply spot on, eg frontline, advantix, the ticks still climb on the body, biten and still alive. I need to check his body every morning and every night when i go home.

I saw some ticks around my dog's eye, lucky i can pick them out, but will there be some ticks that already got into his eyes ? if yes, what will happed??

Love4himies
March 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM
It would probably be best and safest to have a vet check your dog's eyes.

clm
March 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Does the product you're using come from a vet? You may need to go with the stronger flea and tick controls that only your vet can provide to get rid of the tick problem.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I've never seen ticks actually get into a dog's eye--I'm thinking you're worried about it climbing in behind the lids? Ticks prefer skin to glom onto--trying to get through the sclera or cornea would likely be tough for them.

We live in Tick Central (I'm not looking forward to the thaw :frustrated:) and during the worst of the season, we apply Frontline Plus every 3 weeks. Talk to your vet if this could be done with your dog. The first application is not fully effective, but by the second, the protection is as good as it will get and can be maintained by repeated scheduled applications. Because it takes a while for it to get 'up to strength', we always start applications earlier in the year so we're ready for the ticks when they appear.

You can tell if the topicals are working because you'll clean the ticks off your dog and a little while later, you'll see more ticks crawling around trying to escape from the fur. In our experience, a tick that has backed out of the fur trying to escape the Frontline is already sick--we've never had one reattach to the dogs or us.

However, as good as we've found the Frontline to be, there are still one or two or more really tough ticks that always manage to attach and bloat, so even with the protection, a full-body once-over for your dog whenever they've been in contact with ticks is a must.

SparklingSparky
March 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've never seen ticks actually get into a dog's eye--I'm thinking you're worried about it climbing in behind the lids? Tick prefer skin to glom onto--trying to get through the sclera or cornea would likely be tough for them.

We live in Tick Central (I'm not looking forward to the thaw :frustrated:) and during the worst of the season, we apply Frontline Plus every 3 weeks. Talk to your vet if this could be done with your dog. The first application is not fully effective, but by the second, the protection is as good as it will get and can be maintained by repeated scheduled applications. Because it takes a while for it to get 'up to strength', we always start applications earlier in the year so we're ready for the ticks when they appear.

You can tell if the topicals are working because you'll clean the ticks off your dog and a little while later, you'll see more ticks crawling around trying to escape from the fur. In our experience, a tick that has backed out of the fur trying to escape the Frontline is already sick--we've never had one reattach to the dogs or us.

However, as good as we've found the Frontline to be, there are still one or two or more really tough ticks that always manage to attach and bloat, so even with the protection, a full-body once-over for your dog whenever they've been in contact with ticks is a must.

Thanks all for the reply.

Hazelrunpack, yes, the ticks i saw are on the lids of the eyes, when i take them out, i afraid they will drop into my dog's sclera or cornea.

Last week, my dog has fever, 39.7. vet immediate check blood, confirm is that tick fever. I notice tick fever can be occur after a tick bite few months later?

2 nights ago i just applied the tick spot on prevention recommanded by the vet, i can find 2 live ticks, as you stated, they need time to get "up to strenghten"? Maybe thats explain all my other friend's other dogs applied same spot on for more then 1 year, and they didnt get any ticks (we went to same place).

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, you have to keep up with the treatments if there are ticks around--and remember to still do a body check because some may still get through.

Were the two ticks you spotted after treatment attached? Or just crawling on the fur? If just crawling, they may be new, picked up somewhere by your dog in the last day. It does take awhile for the topicals to kill the ticks once the ticks have been exposed to it.

Just be careful when you remove the ticks from sensitive tissues like eyelids--mainly because it would be a bad place for an infection if you don't get the mouthparts out upon removal. I wouldn't worry about the ticks actually getting in the eye, though.

What kind of tick disease did he come down with? Is he currently on meds?

SparklingSparky
March 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Yes, you have to keep up with the treatments if there are ticks around--and remember to still do a body check because some may still get through.

Were the two ticks you spotted after treatment attached? Or just crawling on the fur? If just crawling, they may be new, picked up somewhere by your dog in the last day. It does take awhile for the topicals to kill the ticks once the ticks have been exposed to it.

Just be careful when you remove the ticks from sensitive tissues like eyelids--mainly because it would be a bad place for an infection if you don't get the mouthparts out upon removal. I wouldn't worry about the ticks actually getting in the eye, though.

What kind of tick disease did he come down with? Is he currently on meds?

The 2 ticks are on his face, 1 big (female?) and 1 small. After i picked them out, the big one crowl slowly on the ground and the small one crowl fast. I found these 2 ticks last night (24 hrs after applied spot on) after we just went to the training grass - where my dog always pick up ticks. This morning (36 hrs after applied spot on) i saw one small tick attached on the ear, think is his bed still got some ticks. 3 ticks are much lesser then as compared to last several days, which i found 10-20 ticks every day.

The ticks in our area are those small flat black colour ticks (with many legs).

Yes, every morning we wake up and night when i go home after work i will check my dog's body.

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hard to tell which species of tick you're dealing with. They're all flat with 8 legs and rather dark in color. We have two main kinds here--deer tick and wood tick. The wood ticks are 2 - 3 times bigger as adults and have white collars on a dark blackish body. The deer ticks are smaller and have a black collar against a dark reddish body.

The deer ticks are the carriers of most of the tick-borne diseases here. And you're right--the acute case of the disease can take months to occur. Our dogs were exposed to ticks in the fall of 2006 but didn't develop acute cases of anaplasmosis until Jan/Feb of 2007.

Likely the ticks you found that crawled away were already dying from exposure to the topical, but to make sure, keep a small jar of alcohol handy and drop them in it when you remove them.

How is your dog doing? Are the antibiotics working for him?

SparklingSparky
March 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Hard to tell which species of tick you're dealing with. They're all flat with 8 legs and rather dark in color. We have two main kinds here--deer tick and wood tick. The wood ticks are 2 - 3 times bigger as adults and have white collars on a dark blackish body. The deer ticks are smaller and have a black collar against a dark reddish body.

The deer ticks are the carriers of most of the tick-borne diseases here. And you're right--the acute case of the disease can take months to occur. Our dogs were exposed to ticks in the fall of 2006 but didn't develop acute cases of anaplasmosis until Jan/Feb of 2007.

Likely the ticks you found that crawled away were already dying from exposure to the topical, but to make sure, keep a small jar of alcohol handy and drop them in it when you remove them.

How is your dog doing? Are the antibiotics working for him?

Last tuesday he got fever, vet only give him antibiotics for about 9 days. He is already fine after coming home that day, start to eat and play as normal, unlike that morning he didnt eat breakfast and high fever.

I spray lemon boiled with hot water overnight but didnt work, put neem oil mixed with shampoo, ticks also didnt die. Eat raw garlic for few months (small slice) .Any other prevention method you can recommand?

Here is asia country, whole year summmer.

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I think you need to talk to a vet about a stronger topical preventive. If it's warm all year round, your dog will need to be treated every month. Garlic and lemon is definitely not strong enough--don't know enough about neem oil, but it doesnt' seem to be working, either. The topical stuff is expensive but well worth the cost. It can be ordered online if you can't get it from your vet.

I'm not sure what disease your dog got from the ticks, but we routinely treat with at least four weeks of doxycycline. The diseases that are found here are anaplasmosis, Lyme's disease, and ehrlichiosis. There is another, less common, called babiesiosis (not sure of the spelling on that one...it is, thankfully, one we haven't had to deal with yet). If any of these are what your dog contracted, he will need more than 9 days of antibiotics. Tick-borne diseases here tend to become chronic if the acute onset isn't treated aggressively.